Can we combine 2 airtel connection to gain speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
AIRTEL-combine 2 airtel connection to gain speed.

Airtel does not give 512kbps unlimited, so I was thinking if its possible to use 2 x256kbps lines combined together & inserted in 1 ADSL modem.
Will it work this way & do I now get double speed.

If not can I use 2 lan cards in the comp having 2 separate lines to gain speed. What else would I need to do , any software or hardware required?

Basically looking for 512kbps unlimited connection, Is there a way out?

Ranjan
-

Solved---- Read my post no. 6 of this thread

Last edited:
OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
*www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=156
*ask-leo.com/is_it_possible_combine_2_different_internet_connections_from_2.html
*ask.metafilter.com/mefi/28886

They all discuss the possiblility but no concrete way is discussed, but I am sure that I read some artical on the web about 3 years ago, about "multiplexing" 2 cable /T1 connection which have static IP, not sure that would ever work with airtel dynamic IP or not. Atleast Linux can do this here is one link discussing it.
*www.digg.com/linux_unix/Combining_Internet_Connections

Hope some experienced users can shed some light on this subject, I feel that its possible by some method unless the ISP doesnt support it for some reason.

Last edited:
OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Have been looking for the solution & I think I have found one but yet to be tried.

Wingate proxy can do this. *www.wingate.com/prod-features.php
multiple Internet connections

*www.wingate.com/images/features/16.gif

You can use multiple Internet connections at the same time with WinGate, thereby increasing your system throughput. On a per-proxy basis in WinGate, you can specify multiple methods of using these multiple connections as well.

for instance you could:

* Specify that the WWW Proxy uses all your available internet connections
* Specify that another proxy uses only one of the connections, but if that becomes unavailable, to fail over to the next one

WinGate monitors connections for availability, including remote gateways, so even if your Internet connections go through another router or a device such as a DSL/NAT device, you can still keep track of it.

WinGate's gateway selection features also allows you to specify on a per service basis which gateway will be used, so if you had a combination of multiple DSL/NAT devices, network gateways, modems, etc, you could still specify which connections go through which gateway, even if they are on the same physical ethernet segment.
-------------------------------

If some one has 2 telephone can you try this & give ur opinion.
Airtel in delhi still does not provide 512 unlimited connection where as in banglore/hyderabad they offer 512 unlimited @ 1999/-

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Nice post Ranjan. Added to the dictionary;), but still some people (like me ofcourse) cant have 2x256 connections.

Its like 999+999 = 1998 pm <= This is the rental. :shock:
You can go for 2Mbps + 99 topup and download from 2100 to 0800. This takes the rental down to 899 8)

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
cynosure said:
You can go for 2Mbps + 99 topup and download from 2100 to 0800. This takes the rental down to 899 8)

Are u talking about some airtel plan 2mbps?
which one is this tell me more about this.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
ranjan2001 said:
Are u talking about some airtel plan 2mbps?
which one is this tell me more about this.

Yes I am talking about the Airtel 2mbps plan.
See you change your plan to the 2mbps one. The monthly rental, the last time I inquired(about 2 months back) was 799.
You then take the 99per month top up scheme for you plan which gives you an unlimited download from nite 9 to morning 8.

The only problem is that I am not sure if 99pm topup is available for 2mbps. It is available on 128 and 256 though:D

Check out their customer care.
Best of Luck

din

Tribal Boy
@ranjan2001, you solved it, means you are getting double speed now ? ?

That will work for any type of connections ? Like two CDMA will make it 115 + 115 ?

Please post your experiece

Thanks in advance

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Din
I solved it but I have not yet tried it personally, I need to have another connection to try this out if it works, it should & it would be great as you will get double speed, theoretically it was possible even months ago but I was not aware how to do it.

I m planning for another mtnl/airtel 2mbps connection with night time free usage that will be great combination.

Yes you can do this with cdma too.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Now I have 512Kbps unlimited airtel connection, so don't really need this solution, but yes I still can combine 2x512 connection to get 1mbps speed.

hot zubs

live life king like...
wow a 3 yr old topic *www.techenclave.com/images/smilies/scared14.gif
and stil i guess there is no solution to this *www.techenclave.com/images/smilies/yay.gif
anyone who has tried this stuff *www.techenclave.com/images/smilies/confused1.gif

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
A member from (I guess) Chandigarh was kind enough to send me a PM telling me that this method works with wingate software I requested him to post here so others can benefit too but he did not do so. He also tried doing this on lynx distro (I don't remember the name)

See this Multiple simultaneous internet connections
*www.wingate.com/products/wingate/features.php?cat_id=1#Multiple+simultaneous+internet+connections

You can use multiple Internet connections at the same time with WinGate, thereby increasing your system throughput. On a per-proxy basis in WinGate, you can specify multiple methods of using these multiple connections as well. for instance you could:

• Specify that the WWW Proxy uses all your available internet connections
  • Specify that another proxy uses only one of the connections, but if that becomes unavailable, to fail over to the next one
WinGate monitors connections for availability, including remote gateways, so even if your Internet connections go through another router or a device such as a DSL/NAT device, you can still keep track of it. WinGate's gateway selection features also allows you to specify on a per service basis which gateway will be used, so if you had a combination of multiple DSL/NAT devices, network gateways, modems, etc, you could still specify which connections go through which gateway, even if they are on the same physical ethernet segment.

Those who are interested can try this if you have 2 lan cards or a router with 2 incoming connections but now u have much cheaper bandwidth available so most wont need this anymore. I myself now have 1Mbps connection at half the price than it was for 512kbps in 2006 when I posted this, nevertheless doubling the speed will always be our fantasy.

This is good if you have 2 different ISP connection & 1 can work as a backup in case other one goes down. Load balancing in large corporate network does exactly that, they use 2-4 different connection so they can be sure to remain connected 24x7 with zero downtime.

Still if anyone tries this please do post the results so it can be helpful for all of us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom