Can i get a job after 4 years of education gap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
No body decides the bare min. It automatically gets set. There were days when even 10th was a great deal, so is it the same according to you ? Time changes, criterion changes.

If you think that you can also be a college drop out and eventually become Zuckerberg, then all the best.

This is not about identifying the talent on the basis of degree, rather a de-facto standard, which no one sets. If you're over talented then good for you, but not everybody is like that.

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
MCA ~ B.Tech CSE only in theory, not in practical. 2 more years of waste, making you just "equivalent" to another degree ? huh.

The point I want to convey is that time is a very important factor for OP now, and collecting degrees has got no real value. And no one can deny that.

Suppose he's offered a salary of 15k after BCA, what will be the increment after doing MCA ? Well, may be not even 15k. That's the harsh truth.

That's why I said to focus on skills rather than degrees.

An MBA after some experience (after BCA) will be much much better than doing MCA. No second thoughts about it.

That's why I thought someone coming from a CS background could better answer that.

However, in my erstwhile choice of industry you couldn't even think of working without a masters(unless you graduate from the top schools). That's not the minimum but strongly recommended. Just like many fresh grads joining IIMs are frowned upon because they are having zero work experience and the only ones who make it without further questions are the toppers similarly, when I was applying for jobs I noticed how most of them were asking at least 3 years of work experience in specific domains(not to mention, their preference for schools). Those were lessons learnt the hard way.
:facepalm:

Also it depends that on line of work you want to proceed.Some may need you to be theoratically strong and proven , while some may require yo to be just educated enough to teach yourself the job.

Nailed it

Awaiting suggestions..

I forgot to mention this, besides Android, Windows is another alternative platform to develop. Recently it has started this initiative to help out its new developers. Here have a look,

Getting started with developing for Windows Phone

My last suggestions would be,
1. Pick a domain
2. Pick a school(to get formal recognition)
3. Train(both formally and informally)
4. Network(create industry links)

Finally, you need to show some interest and let us know what you're good at so that we may guide you, so nothing can proceed without your participation in that regards

Hrishi

Freelancing is something that has been brought down by the internet revolution , and has heavily influenced the market.
This is a place which relies heavily on your skills rather than Degree , usually because all that matters in the end is the quality of work , cost endured and satisfaction of client.

sandeep410

Journeyman
There's something called bare minimum. If you don't cross that, you not counted. Fact.
That's what I'm trying to say, but only after "minimum eligibility".

No theres no such thing as bare minimum. If you have knowledge and skill you can be sucessful even if you havent passed 10th std.
Theres lot of great personality who never went to school like thomas edison. People who think beyond getting a job are the ones who make it high.

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
No theres no such thing as bare minimum. If you have knowledge and skill you can be sucessful even if you havent passed 10th std.
Theres lot of great personality who never went to school like thomas edison. People who think beyond getting a job are the ones who make it high.

An exception doesn't break the rule

Well, this thread is going offtopic and OP is mute

OP
K

Kingston

Broken In
Thank you Mr.kickass...My point exactly..
I went away for a while and when i came back, this turns complete strange and un related..
Alright guys lets wrap up..[B]Thank you so much for all your replies..It helped my perpective to change..I hope things go fine for me and everyone else who took trouble of replying..I cant thank you enough..I wont let it go to waste[/B]..
NOw since i am new here can anyone tell me how to stop this thread,chose best answer or whatever before i get more replies coming...I cant come and read it everyday only to find new arguements and ideas.. .

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
You can't "stop" this thread, just report to close it.

And there's no provisioning in this forum to choose a best answer.

PS: All the best :)

OP
K

Kingston

Broken In
Ok i am really interested in cs..i used to change firmware on my phone,flash it..change the icon orientation,behavior..Screwed up my nokia C6 trying to do all this..:p

OP
K

Kingston

Broken In
I am interested in OS and developing..i can sit all night coding and hacking/jailbreaking my phone..i Screwed up my nokia c6 this way..currently i own a nokia N8..I was wondering,In order to test the app i may try to develop i will need a android phone.. N8 is symbian belle...
Should i opt to buy a phone or should i just try to use a emulator on my computer..vmware could run android 4.0 ics pretty well..

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
...can anyone tell me how to stop this thread,chose best answer or whatever before i get more replies coming...I cant come and read it everyday only to find new arguements and ideas.. .

Just unsubscribe this thread

I am interested in OS and developing..i can sit all night coding and hacking/jailbreaking my phone..i Screwed up my nokia c6 this way..currently i own a nokia N8..I was wondering,In order to test the app i may try to develop i will need a android phone.. N8 is symbian belle...
Should i opt to buy a phone or should i just try to use a emulator on my computer..vmware could run android 4.0 ics pretty well..

Nothing beats a phone but testing is usually done on emulators before it runs on the phone. Google a bit on that though

Symbian is dead, so look into Android or iOS or WP. Cost for developing on iOS is high and out of the remaining two, Android is the best imo. Lot of support out there. Great people over at XDA ready to help you with each and every detail. In fact, they recently started an initiative calling it the XDA University. Not yet developed though, it will grow over time into a full fledged university.

Develop a strong background in Linux because its the kernel that makes an OS such as Android possible. I might have written somewhere something about it but I just can't seem to find it in my history so you'll have to google. That's all.

sandeep410

Journeyman
If you are gona be mobile developer which is very good thing you would need to buy android as well as iphone for testing. Emulators arent that useful, you need a real device to test on. Remember you need money to make money. Ignore windows phone for now.
What kickass says is not the truth, android is worst of two. Your app wont make any money on android but it will on IOS.
Releasing an app for IOS is pain in butt, but its definitely more rewarding than android.
My game on IOS has made me 100$ same on android has made me 10$.

Hrishi

If you are gona be mobile developer which is very good thing you would need to buy android as well as iphone for testing. Emulators arent that useful, you need a real device to test on. Remember you need money to make money. Ignore windows phone for now.
What kickass says is not the truth, android is worst of two. Your app wont make any money on android but it will on IOS.
Releasing an app for IOS is pain in butt, but its definitely more rewarding than android.
My game on IOS has made me 100$ same on android has made me 10$.
I didn't think that Kickass was wrong in that perspective.
For someone looking forward for learning it all on self , Open-Source is the way to go. IOS does cost a lot to learn and develop , plus the hardship to get it accepted .
I don't think he meant about the performance part while comparing IOS/Droid/WP.

sandeep410

Journeyman
IOS is easier to develop than android. Theres no Cost involved in learning process Cost is only for buying your devices.
Its ofcourse is difficult to get accepted for IOS. You need to pay 100$/ year and you need a credit card. (Debit card do works sometimes).
Android on the other hand is 25$ for lifetime i guess.

But what matters in the end is how much money you are gona make. Its very difficult to get downloads for your app on android.
Where as on IOS you can just put your app and get downloads. My game after marketing on number of forums hardly made any downloads on android where as on IOS it got 800 Downloads just on the 1st day without any marketing.
Lotsof developers dont even make a android version now a days.
On top of that if your game is very good and a paid game with seroius marketing you might get 50k downloads on android but out of that only 1k ppl might have actually bought your game. Rest would have just pirated.
Piracy level is low on IOS.

OP
K

Kingston

Broken In
Update:Hello, i am back again.. I spoke to my parents about all these things and said i want to do BCA but my mother insists i do diploma in cs.. Now i know if i do diploma i have to do engineering, i cant do other course...
She says diploma holders get job fast and no further study required.. And with BCA,wel she isnt as sure as she is with diploma..
What do u suggest?

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
Let's see ....

1. You mentioned you do coding
if you have basic skills register for "Amazon Ninja Coder Challenge" today, cause contest starts from 19th October,2013. There will be 3 levels. After successfully completing the 3rd level you will get a interview call from Amazon if you can crack the interview you got yourself a job.
There will be mostly regular mathematical problems with higher end will based on using graph theory( Sem2-3 ) and different optimisation techniques.

2. Many of you have the wrong info about "minimum criteria"
To answer this lets not go back to the days of Archimedes, rather look at British rule nearly 150 years ago in India a person of 8th grade could land dream job.
Minimum criteria depends on Industry at average a Bachelors degree is a must for even applying now - a -days(2013). The exception being in software product companies where at minimum you have to show somekind of coding experience of atleast 4 years.

And though many of you are famed with Zuckerburg's success as a college drop out billionare, face the fact this is not the "Country of Opportunity" and you are not Zuckerburg. He had an idea & knew how to market that idea. He became successfull cause in most parts of US everyday life involves internet usage in their day-to-day lives. We are getting to that point slowly....

@op I would suggest join the BCA course you are thinking and in the mean time develop some coding skills. There are many forums for coding join some of them there are sites which gives direct chance of interview after a coding challenge.

So dont loose hope there are many things you can do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom