can a OSS be put under GNU GPL3 if written in python

Status
Not open for further replies.

johny rico

i hack.. sometimes
I created a RSS reader/parser using python which can be found here *code.google.com/p/rssglut/
i heard from a group that only C/C++ programs come under GPL:confused:
i also want to contribute to open source community but i don't know how to start/how to join an existing group?.
HELP!!!:)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You heard wrong, any work can fall under the GPL as long as you adhere to it. Do read the GPL for more information, its as general as any other license and is also named so.

Python or even a work of literature, they both can fall under the GPL. :)

*www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

And as for contributing, join the mailing list of the project you are interested in and post your interest there and they will be glad in guiding you from there. :)

sourav123

Thinking Different
I created a RSS reader/parser using python which can be found here *code.google.com/p/rssglut/
i heard from a group that only C/C++ programs come under GPL:confused:
i also want to contribute to open source community but i don't know how to start/how to join an existing group?.
HELP!!!:)

GPL is universal. Anything and everything can be put under GPL and you are highly encouraged to do that. :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
If you are reusing someone else's code, which is not compatible with GPL v3 then you cannot license your code under GPL v3, else you will have to remove that code or distribute it separately depending on how it is used in your project.

GPL is universal. Anything and everything can be put under GPL and you are highly encouraged to do that. :)
wrong.

Last edited:

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
If you are reusing someone else's code, which is not compatible with GPL v3 then you cannot license your code under GPL v3, else you will have to remove that code or distribute it separately depending on how it is used in your project.

wrong.

May we have the correct version pls.. mehulved can you pls explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom