Camera talk...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Is there any free app for android mobile to manually control settings like aperture, shutter, ISO and focus? I thought there is one. When we tried to find today, we couldn't find one. We tried Camera FV-5, all we could do was change shutter speed and couldn't control the other settings. And to our surprise it disabled manual ISO setting which was actually we could do with the default camera app.
Both 1s exposure and 5s exposure looks pretty much the same, I was expecting 1s exposure to be darker than the other. :(

satinder

DELHIITE
What is error code 1 in canon 1000D.
Any one faced this earlier ?
Heard earlier about this in new cameras too but it came recently in this 1000D + 18-55 lens only 3 years old.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Open camera... Amazing app
I was googling for more than an hour and I was kinda concluded that there is no app which will let us adjust aperture. The default app in Moto G4+, we can adjust shutter (couldn't go longer than 1/6th of sec), can adjust wb, iso too. We can tap to focus, does that means it's manual focus? And there is exposure compensation, the only thing left is aperture.
I will ask to check if this app has aperture control.
Heard earlier about this in new cameras too but it came recently in this 1000D + 18-55 lens only 3 years old.
Did you check your manual or google it?

Google says, it's communication problem between the lens and camera. See if the DIY fix in this discussion working for you.

CRACING

Journeyman
Hello Friends,

Since last few weeks I didn't used my camera due to frequent rain and yesterday I took it out to check and guess what? My lovely 35mm lens had 1 sq mm fungus in the corner. I keep all my lenses in individual air tight bottles with large silica gel inside each but I didn't expected this to happen on newly bought lens. :'(

Fortunately the fungus was on outer element of the lens and I could clean it using lens cleaning kit. However, I think fungus has etched the glass or coating because when I fog (breath) the front element, I could see 2 sq mm round spot but when the glass dries, its perfectly clean and no affect on pictures either.

May be I will have to live with it and hope fungus doesn't come back.

I was googling for more than an hour and I was kinda concluded that there is no app which will let us adjust aperture. The default app in Moto G4+, we can adjust shutter (couldn't go longer than 1/6th of sec), can adjust wb, iso too. We can tap to focus, does that means it's manual focus? And there is exposure compensation, the only thing left is aperture.
I will ask to check if this app has aperture control.

Most lowend and midend smartphones have semi-auto camera settings, just like point & shoot cameras.
When you tap the screen, you tell the camera where to focus. Just like we set a focus point in DSLR and half press shutter button to focus there. Its not really a manual focus. ISO, WB and Focus Points can be set or changed but Aperture, Shutter, Focusing is always auto. It has to do with the driver or API and may be also little hardware. To provide full manual camera settings, developers have to work hard which calls for more money.

Manual Camera and Camera FV-5 apps allow users to set Aperture, Shutter, Focus and RAW but firstly device has to support it. Here is the list of smartphones that support manual settings.

I think cleaning the CPU connections of the lens and camera using IPA should solve the problem. There is no harm in trying this but do it carefully. First blow off any dust particles from the lens and camera body. Then apply little IPA into microfiber cloth and gently rub the contacts. You can also use cotton buds but make sure you don't take more IPA then required. Also becareful not to touch the rear lens element and camera mirror, either with your fingers or IPA. Dry the contacts with clean and dry microfiber or cotton cloth. Check this link for more info.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=322858]CRACING[/MENTION] exactly like you I had a mini heart attack this time I went home...I picked out my 150-500 from airtight box and saw fungus all over...on glass body base everywhere...I saw the glass and thought my big lens is gone...but then I start cleaning and it cleaned well..no fungus left ...huff but it was a shock really.

CRACING

Journeyman
[MENTION=322858]CRACING[/MENTION] exactly like you I had a mini heart attack this time I went home...I picked out my 150-500 from airtight box and saw fungus all over...on glass body base everywhere...I saw the glass and thought my big lens is gone...but then I start cleaning and it cleaned well..no fungus left ...huff but it was a shock really.

Oh, thats really heart breaking but thank god it didn't occurred inside. Cannot bear the loss of such a expensive lens. Guess we both are lucky but should be taking this as warning.

I think keeping lens in dark place for long period causes fungus and silica gel won't help. From now on I will expose all my lenses to light, atleast once in two days.

sujoyp

Grand Master
thats true but problem is we dont shoot much in rains and its the time when humidity is highest and chance of fungus is most...I used to expose my lenses every weekend but then I realised that the humidity gets inside the airtight box and silica had to again reduce it ...so i stopped opening the box like that

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
I'm storing my lenses in plastic airtight transparent food containers like these along with microwaved silica gel packs
*forum.digit.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=16538&d=1474952903*forum.digit.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=16537&d=1474952827
[Flipkart Link]

Sometimes, I remove the lens cap so that light enters through them. Once in every 2-3 weeks I keep the whole container open in the balcony to bask in the sun for 15-20 minutes.

Attachments

• 5926-princeware-kitchen-storage-original-imae3xs8m2jurtyf.jpeg
    5926-princeware-kitchen-storage-original-imae3xs8m2jurtyf.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 5966-princeware-kitchen-storage-original-imae3xs6zazd6phu.jpeg
    5966-princeware-kitchen-storage-original-imae3xs6zazd6phu.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 101

sujoyp

Grand Master
Even I have Huge airtight box in my cupboard and none of the lens have lens cap on...It have small humidity meter and a 200gm pack of silica gel with small holes in it.
Will invest in digicabie someday

CRACING

Journeyman
Even I have Huge airtight box in my cupboard and none of the lens have lens cap on...It have small humidity meter and a 200gm pack of silica gel with small holes in it.
Will invest in digicabie someday
I have done same thing but the humidity meter says 80%. It is high and I need to do something to reduce.

What does your humidity meter say?

sujoyp

Grand Master
yup its mumbai so its above 70% most of the time...what we can do is get a fresh packet of silica gel and put it inside

CRACING

Journeyman
yup its mumbai so its above 70% most of the time...what we can do is get a fresh packet of silica gel and put it inside

As per my testings, I think silica gel can reduce humidity upto 15% max. Humidity inside my lens container is 70-75% when kept with fresh or reactivated 25gm silica gel, whereas outside it is 85-90%.

So a dry cabinet or similar is must for us. You should get one soon and I will get one before I go for any expensive lenses. :)

Btw; you use 200gm pack of silica gel? :O that should be pretty big!

And I finally found my dream lens for cheap. (Okay, not exactly cheap but still better than Sony counterparts....sans optical image stabilization)

Sigma 30mm f/1,4 DC DN Contemporary till Sony E (Objektiv - Fasta normalobjektiv) | Scandinavian Photo

sujoyp

Grand Master
amlan you thought it bit late :D rainy season is almost gone...now humidity will be down again...lessser chance of fungus

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Point and shoot cameras can use external flash despite having no hot shoe by using optical slave mode where in-camera flash triggers the external flash. In this case, camera's flash has to be used to activate external flash. External flash can only be used in manual mode, there is no TTL, ETTL.

600D, 700D, D90, D7xxx series have built in flash commander. When I was watching youtube videos (600D), camera's built-in flash has to be used to activate external flash. It seems more like point and shoot, I don't get it. What's the benefit of having flash commander here? It still uses camera's flash. I assumed "wireless flash" as "radio frequency", but it's not. Can you guys briefly explain what's the difference between the two (Point and shoot using optical slave vs DSLRs flash commander)?

I have few more to ask, I will go one by one.

Top Bottom