Camera talk...

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I think the next thing to do is add more tech features to the cam. Sony is doing this well, in the sense that they start some amazing ideas then never develop them . Like apps in the cam, super sensitive low light cams ISO 200000 types, intervalometer on cam, HDR in cam, better raw files, stuff like focus peaking, wifi and all.

raja manuel

In the zone
Yeah. The hardware upgrade mode of innovation is stagnating. More fps, dynamic range, autofocus points, etc. are unlikely to make much difference to most users as they already have highly useful cameras. That is the Gilette style of innovation - adding one more blade to the razor. A twin blade razor is innovative; at 5 they just look like they've run out of ideas and are doing the only thing they know to do. Cameras will now have to add value by having greater usability.

Imagine a camera that is connected to cloud based machine learning: you could do a quick sweep of a scene and the camera will analyse the light and the scenery and identify the best place to take the photo. A wireframe of some kind would show how the subject should pose for different looks, and the photo would be taken at the right moment. Add drones to carry the camera and lights and you can eliminate the distinction between photographer and subject that is already being blurred by selfie culture. I thought that Sony's lens camera was the first step in this direction. Unfortunately it did not succeed, perhaps way too early for the market. I hope we see more such innovations in future though, rather than the iterative designs we get now.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Love the Gillette example

Its now a game of making it usable. Like adding the apps that tell you where the sun will rise, the milkyway position, settings help, doing time lapse automatically, doing hyperlapse automatically, better stabilization, higher ISI

sujoyp

Grand Master
I think drone cameras should be the next future...it have unlimited scope for now...what you have never ever thought of shooting can be shot by that...angle that was just impossible...specially for scenery and wildlife. for macro we need more like those 2:1 lenses to have fun. with drones people photography will also be lot of fun.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Got the opportunity to try D5500.
Pictures are better than expected @ ISO 3200 (All the photos were taken @ 3200 as there was not enough light and I didn't want to use on camera flash).
Even though I kept the camera for hours, couldn't try much. Busy chatting with cousins and relatives after a long time.

sujoyp

Grand Master
d5500 ....great..does it have a d500 sensor or a D7200 sensor?

I had the first photoshoot :) but the weather was soo bad..cloudy, windy, rainy..no scenery around.. fog made the pics worse...and all with that guys D90+50mm :( I expected a professional to have a better combo.
he had a flash which he was using with optical trigger..why no radio trigger..its soo cheap
luckily next morning was nice and my sister took some nice pics ..my clarity is much better :D

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I had the first photoshoot :) but the weather was soo bad..cloudy, windy, rainy..no scenery around.. fog made the pics worse...and all with that guys D90+50mm :( I expected a professional to have a better combo.
he had a flash which he was using with optical trigger..why no radio trigger..its soo cheap
luckily next morning was nice and my sister took some nice pics ..my clarity is much better :D
What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be busy with your marriage.
May be a well experienced guy would've used such weather in a good way.
If you know nothing about the camera, you wouldn't have bothered with D90 :) You know too much about cameras.
Photographer didn't come next morning. Was it just a one day shoot?

raja manuel

In the zone
And now the next big one is upon us. Fujifilm announces the GFX 50S, a medium format mirrorless camera. It has a removable and interchangeable EVF and looks quite the business with the addition of a battery pack.

This takes the fizz out of Canon's announcement of the M5, which is 'just' an APSC mirrorless, though I suppose that the M5 will sell way more than the medium format cameras provided it isn't as bad as the previous M series.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
d5500 ....great..does it have a d500 sensor or a D7200 sensor?
D7200 or may be D7100, I think.

DSLR users, are you guys review the photograph after every shot?
Guys were shooting in Auto mode, they didn't have control over aperture. They didn't see that some of people in the group aren't in focus - shallow DOF in OVF and clicked. Camera should've analyzed the scene better and picked a smaller aperture. How do you guys handle this? esp if you're using a body with no DOF preview button.
As I am shooting with compacts, it's not an issue for me. Compacts mostly have deep DOF and we shoot in live view.

- - - Updated - - -

And now the next big one is upon us. Fujifilm announces the GFX 50S, a medium format mirrorless camera.
Most of the Photokina camera announcements are interchangeable lens cameras. Even the announced compacts are advanced ones. Hobbyist/enthusiast may not have an option to pick a camera for 10/15k budget in coming years.

sujoyp

Grand Master
What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be busy with your marriage.
May be a well experienced guy would've used such weather in a good way.
If you know nothing about the camera, you wouldn't have bothered with D90 :) You know too much about cameras.
Photographer didn't come next morning. Was it just a one day shoot?

:D prewedding was a part of preparation only ...pics came nice and romantic...will share a public album soon...that guy was experienced actually, tried his best and got something out of that...I expected a full frame, at least a d700 ;) ... photographer was busy next day so it was one evening shoot.
but my sister also took some nice shots, we had lot of reference pics given by photographer to play around..just that sis blurred some good ones, sadly :(

My good photography friend promised to shoot a post wedding as wedding gift :D he have D610 and lot of nice lens and is lot experienced ;)

raja manuel

In the zone
DSLR users, are you guys review the photograph after every shot?
Guys were shooting in Auto mode, they didn't have control over aperture. They didn't see that some of people in the group aren't in focus - shallow DOF in OVF and clicked. Camera should've analyzed the scene better and picked a smaller aperture. How do you guys handle this? esp if you're using a body with no DOF preview button.
As I am shooting with compacts, it's not an issue for me. Compacts mostly have deep DOF and we shoot in live view.
Yes, after shot or every few shots. My camera is always in detail view mode, so as soon as I click the image I see the image itself as a thumbnail with blinkies to warn for clipping, RGB histograms to analyse colour and exposure, and all the primary settings. I also have Magic Lantern installed so one tap of a button gives me 100% zoom view to check for focus and other fine details.
As far as I am aware all Canon DSLRs including the 1XXXD series have a DOF preview button. Also, the consumer (Rebel) series have a mode where the camera will try to set a deeper DOF for group shots. Group photos are always going to be challenging as your equipment gets more complex, since you have to get everyone in focus, worry about edge lighting and distortion, cross shadows, etc. There are a few masters, and many mediocre group photographers.

Most of the Photokina camera announcements are interchangeable lens cameras. Even the announced compacts are advanced ones. Hobbyist/enthusiast may not have an option to pick a camera for 10/15k budget in coming years.
I think that is the inevitable result of the growth in mobile phones. The sales of low budget compacts have been badly hit, and without high volumes the low profit margins are not justifiable.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
As far as I am aware all Canon DSLRs including the 1XXXD series have a DOF preview button. Also, the consumer (Rebel) series have a mode where the camera will try to set a deeper DOF for group shots. Group photos are always going to be challenging as your equipment gets more complex, since you have to get everyone in focus, worry about edge lighting and distortion, cross shadows, etc. There are a few masters, and many mediocre group photographers.
It was D5500.
I guess, need some experience to manage this.
That's for pro and serious photographers. Casual snap shooters with built-in flash, rim lights and cross shadows are too much to bother.

raja manuel

In the zone
It was D5500.
I guess, need some experience to manage this.
That's for pro and serious photographers. Casual snap shooters with built-in flash, rim lights and cross shadows are too much to bother.
I agree that it is too much for casual snap shooters, but that is why I don't recommend DSLRs to them. There is not much point buying a system camera if you don't invest in the system. Even if they cannot upgrade their equipment immediately due to budget constraints they should at least upgrade their knowledge, but that very rarely happens. Most of the DSLRs owners I know have them as status symbols.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I agree that it is too much for casual snap shooters, but that is why I don't recommend DSLRs to them. There is not much point buying a system camera if you don't invest in the system. Even if they cannot upgrade their equipment immediately due to budget constraints they should at least upgrade their knowledge, but that very rarely happens. Most of the DSLRs owners I know have them as status symbols.
They are not getting high end DSLR or Leica. I would say, it's more of curiosity or an attraction than a status symbol.
By not going for a DSLR, doesn't gonna make them learn about advanced lighting. DSLR gives good image quality for cheaper price than an 1" or APS-C/FF compact. So using DSLR in PnS fashion is kinda justifiable, I realize. Do I recommend that? May be not for all. For one who is okay with it.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I agree with both of you. I have always discouraged people from buying a dslr but none ever listened ...they all want that big shiny toy that have wow factor ...and that can take great quality pics too.
I always tell them to get a RX100, but when they hear the price of RX100 they say "for that money why not buy a dslr"

Actually people dont have a choice I would say, point and shoot quality didnt improve in last decade and mobile can be enough. for next level of camera pocketables are just too costly, so they go for DSLR.

- - - Updated - - -

last time I went to nagpur one if my friend bought Nikon 200-500 ....its wow quality but soo heavy...I was feeling the weight even in 10 seconds, how will i carry it for hours I thought

Siddhartht

Void
I agree with both of you. I have always discouraged people from buying a dslr but none ever listened ...they all want that big shiny toy that have wow factor ...and that can take great quality pics too.
I always tell them to get a RX100, but when they hear the price of RX100 they say "for that money why not buy a dslr"

Actually people dont have a choice I would say, point and shoot quality didnt improve in last decade and mobile can be enough. for next level of camera pocketables are just too costly, so they go for DSLR.

- - - Updated - - -

last time I went to nagpur one if my friend bought Nikon 200-500 ....its wow quality but soo heavy...I was feeling the weight even in 10 seconds, how will i carry it for hours I thought

The problem in India is that we actually don't have enthusiast level point and shoots. Panasonic makes few of them, with 1 inch and m4/3 sensors. Even Olympus Pen range is good to have that "DSLR" feel in a small compact factor. And sadly both options are not readily available. Here I see most of the photographers using mirrorless cameras or something like Canon 5D, practically nobody buys entry level DSLRs...they are too bulky.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
The problem in India is that we actually don't have enthusiast level point and shoots. Panasonic makes few of them, with 1 inch and m4/3 sensors. Even Olympus Pen range is good to have that "DSLR" feel in a small compact factor. And sadly both options are not readily available. Here I see most of the photographers using mirrorless cameras or something like Canon 5D, practically nobody buys entry level DSLRs...they are too bulky.
Bridge camera and travel zoom can be called enthusiast level PnS. There were cameras like P300 series from Nikon, Fuji XF/XQ, Canon S/G series priced less than DSLR/MILC. Now this breed is extinct. Oly Stylus 1 was the last one (yeah it's expensive). Not just Panasonic, many making it but not everyone bringing it to India, esp. Panasonic. Nikon DL series, yet to come to the market. They can directly launch Mark 2 versions ;)
MILC pricing and availability is an issue in India. So DSLR is an attractive offer until MILC price falls and widely available.

Siddhartht

Void
Bridge camera and travel zoom can be called enthusiast level PnS. There were cameras like P300 series from Nikon, Fuji XF/XQ, Canon S/G series priced less than DSLR/MILC. Now this breed is extinct. Oly Stylus 1 was the last one (yeah it's expensive). Not just Panasonic, many making it but not everyone bringing it to India, esp. Panasonic. Nikon DL series, yet to come to the market. They can directly launch Mark 2 versions ;)
MILC pricing and availability is an issue in India. So DSLR is an attractive offer until MILC price falls and widely available.

I guess only those Bridges with a sensor >1" can be called as enthusiast. Smaller sensors will not have that depth which can be captured by, let's say RX100. Panasonic, for imaging is completely ignorant in India, and they have a reason to do so. The common population still have the perception "the bigger the better", and half of the people in India buy DSLRs just for "show-off". Unless such perception changes, we are not getting anything. There was a time when Olympus had their complete range in India, but few years ago they also scaled back the Indian operations.
I think Sony MILCs are good for the price they ask, and a stock Sigma 30mm 1.4 costs somewhere around 22000 here for emount. That means the total camera package can be 60K with something like A6000.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Companies have started getting more enthusiast level cams in india. You see more shops carrying the sony MLIC and olympus PEN cameras. You see more of them carry flashes, tripods and even reflectors now.

The people will catch on soon. For every ten who want a DSLR to showoff there would be a few that will get hooked and then get a better cam.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I would love to have a 2 body system, one with huge lens and other with 35mm small lens