Camera talk...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
AF is old and they have stopped making it..but we get it cheap, and its as useful
If I am remember right, Tamron is making non IS 70-200 f/2.8 and costs about 45k brand new. It's a better option than manual focus, I think.

sujoyp

Grand Master
AF is autofocus Nac...my D7000 can AF it ;) just that the old one is push pull one and new one is dual grip for focus and zoom. Optically its good.
definitely tamron 70-200 is a great deal. But then I can get AFD 80-200 2.8 for cheap 35k maybe. you will never get the feel and built quality..Its awesome :D

sujoyp

Grand Master
Yesterday I read about commander mode...its a nice system but needs slave function on flash too. in commander mode we set 2 different streams. suppose stream 1 have +1 exposure for front flash and stream 2 is flashed on bg...both streams can be flashed togather with different exposure. But the catch is flash need to have option to select stream one or two as slave. you can have many slave flashes on stream one or two. all those flash will fire as per the setup.
my flash dont have slave mode else I would have tried. It is not optical trigger.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Tried 50mm f/1.8G last week on crop body...
Reviewed that photograph, it's not long enough for head shot. Face looks distorted for my taste. May be 50mm is good for half length or 3/4th portrait, not for head shot.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nac you want to shoot just the head ??? if you consider the middle half portion of the body it automatically become half.

I am soo getting used to 35mm prime ...its sharp, we can take portrait, group and what not with great sharpness and colors. and its 1.8 :D

all my other lenses are resting in box except maybe 90mm macro and 35mm

CRACING

Journeyman
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION]

I think for head shots, 85mm F/1.8G on DX camera would be good. Not that its great but its affordable and worth for our needs. Next would be AF-S 105 f/2.8G VR but it costs double of 85mm. But if you want to use telephoto lens for portrait shots then following videos would be helpful to you.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Nac you want to shoot just the head ???
Yes, tight head shot. Barely we see shoulders in the frame. Not that every shutter release gonna be a tight head shot, thought that 50mm could do it. :(
I am soo getting used to 35mm prime ...its sharp, we can take portrait, group and what not with great sharpness and colors. and its 1.8 :grin:
Yeah, I can see that. Noticeable difference in IQ after you started using 35mm prime.
I think for head shots, 85mm F/1.8G on DX camera would be good. Not that its great but its affordable and worth for our needs. Next would be AF-S 105 f/2.8G VR but it costs double of 85mm. But if you want to use telephoto lens for portrait shots then following videos would be helpful to you.
I find 50mm economical, 85mm costs about 28k and for me it's not affordable. After all I am still struggling to get myself a DSLR. Even AF variant of 85mm costs about 18k, so it's more like max I can get 18-55, 55-200/250, 35mm and 50mm prime when and if I come to buy lenses. :(
But if you want to use telephoto lens for portrait shots then following videos would be helpful to you.
Thanks for links. I will check them... I may have seen these videos several times before, but still I am gonna watch again to get things into my thick skull. :D
AF-S 105 f/2.8G VR but it costs double of 85mm. But if you want to use telephoto lens for portrait shots then following videos would be helpful to you.
Nac there is a lens sigma 50-150 f2.8 ..its best for headshots
These sample pictures of 135 f/2, 200 f/2, 70-200 f/2.8 are spoiling me good. My mind is only interested in dreaming to get fast primes like f/1.4, f/1.8, f/2 if it's telephoto. After all this is just day dreaming ;)

CRACING

Journeyman
I find 50mm economical, 85mm costs about 28k and for me it's not affordable. After all I am still struggling to get myself a DSLR. Even AF variant of 85mm costs about 18k, so it's more like max I can get 18-55, 55-200/250, 35mm and 50mm prime when and if I come to buy lenses. :(

Hmm, I thought you could afford. :/

I think you are looking for background compression and the subject should standout in the image. Am I right?

If so, your best bet would be zoom lenses. No need to worry about aperture because longer the focal length more the background compression. Just you need to have sufficient lighting. Affordable lenses ranging from F/3.5 to F/5.6 would do and you may choose F/8 for sharpness.

I had posted flower photos last week in photography thread. Actually I wanted to show how a zoom lens can compress the background compared to lesser focal length.

And this is what the guys have explained in the above videos.

p.s I think its better to get 18-105 or 18-140 instead of 18-55 + 55-200mm and also you don't have to choose two primes when you have limited budget. Either 35mm or 50mm whichever fulfills your needs.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I think you are looking for background compression and the subject should standout in the image. Am I right?

p.s I think its better to get 18-105 or 18-140 instead of 18-55 + 55-200mm and also you don't have to choose two primes when you have limited budget. Either 35mm or 50mm whichever fulfills your needs.
Yes, I like the compression and also large aperture.

In general, I am cost conscious. So mostly I tend to lean on cheaper side. 18-55 and 55-200/250 dual kit costs less than 18-105/140 and longer focal length = more reach/more compression. Most likely I won't go for 35mm as I already find 50mm is not long enough and if I opt for Canon, there is no cheaper 35mm lens. What I meant was, those are the lenses would be easy on my pocket (costs around/under 10k) than pretty much every other lenses.

PS: I have been wanting to have a 50mm when I get my DSLR. That one lens would fit my needs, I thought. But after "just" one click, I am rethinking about that choice.

Why 50mm??
- Cheap.
- Fast
- Many tutorials/exercises/projects suggested that 50mm is a good one and it grew on me over the years.
- And I liked the results too, just that I didn't expect to get distortion when shooting up close. :(

x ------------------ x ------------------------ x

I already have watched the second video, I am watching the first one now. So far he's been using 70-200 f/2.8 and 300 f/2.8. See this is how I get spoiled :)

CRACING

Journeyman
Yes, I like the compression and also large aperture.

In general, I am cost conscious. So mostly I tend to lean on cheaper side. 18-55 and 55-200/250 dual kit costs less than 18-105/140 and longer focal length = more reach/more compression. Most likely I won't go for 35mm as I already find 50mm is not long enough and if I opt for Canon, there is no cheaper 35mm lens. What I meant was, those are the lenses would be easy on my pocket (costs around/under 10k) than pretty much every other lenses.

18-55mm has average quality elements and not worth so I wouldn't recommend it. For beginner its useful but after using prime and telephoto lenses, 18-55mm will be less used. I haven't used mine since long now. I just open it every few days, check for fungus, expose to sunlight, take sample shots and then its back inside its box. I use 35mm regularly and 55-200mm for bird photography.

18-105/140 lenses have better quality elements then the kit lenses and you get good value for resale.

Nikon D5200 + 18-140mm costs 42k*
Canon EOS 700D + 18-135mm costs 50k*

*2k discount if you have SBI card.

I would also suggest D7X00, even if you can get a good used one. My next DSLR would definitely be D7200. Not only because it supports AF lenses but I like the buttons on left side, just like my D3200 has. :)

PS: I have been wanting to have a 50mm when I get my DSLR. That one lens would fit my needs, I thought. But after "just" one click, I am rethinking about that choice.

If you are concerned about distortion then you could try lens correction in lightroom.

I already have watched the second video, I am watching the first one now. So far he's been using 70-200 f/2.8 and 300 f/2.8. See this is how I get spoiled :)

Of course. Longer focal length + large aperture = excellent bokeh but expensive. Its not only about affordability but also its hard to maintain expensive lenses here. My 35mm lens had fungus on front element and its a heartbreaking thing. Fortunately I could clean it but couldn't bear if same had occurred inside or to expensive lens.

saikiasunny

Ambassador of Buzz
What is wrong with D5300 stock. It is not available in many online stores. And when it comes back, it disappears like magic. And so overpriced.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
What is wrong with D5300 stock. It is not available in many online stores. And when it comes back, it disappears like magic. And so overpriced.
It's been two years since D5500, and they have announced D5600. Probably, D5300 is discontinued.
And after festival offers, usually prices stay higher.

sujoyp

Grand Master
get any D5xxx but dont pay higher then 40k for it with kit lens ....its never worth...after all its just a consumer class body.

saikiasunny

Ambassador of Buzz
It's been two years since D5500, and they have announced D5600. Probably, D5300 is discontinued.
And after festival offers, usually, prices stay higher.

I don't think it is discontinued. The d5200 is still in stocks. And if the d5300 is discontinued then there is a large gap between d5200 and d5500. And what is the point of d5600 over the d5500?

get any D5xxx but dont pay higher then 40k for it with kit lens ....its never worth...after all its just a consumer class body.

That's why i am waiting. I waited for the 5100, then 5200 and now when finally I have enough for d5300, its nowhere to be found. I don't want to go over 35K for it.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I don't think it is discontinued. The d5200 is still in stocks. And if the d5300 is discontinued then there is a large gap between d5200 and d5500.
And what is the point of d5600 over the d5500?
Discontinued product can be found in the market, but manufacturer stopped the production of the model. D5200 discontinued long back.
With every iteration, mostly there won't be anything massive difference.
With D5300, they added GPS, removed AA filter
With D5500, they removed GPS, added WIFI and touch
With D5600, they have added snapbridge, Bluetooth.
You can dig deep and find little more difference.

If you're ready to wait, keep checking the prices and offers. Some may pop up...

sujoyp

Grand Master
Bought a new flash for my wedding :) My yougnuo 465 is very unreliable now... Brought a simple manual Digitek DFL-003

*lh3.googleusercontent.com/Rw7i1PyJz3k6_-PhySYyykcidu58QfGWfzN8gsuyhgMs6Pz7ixVMppdjl1fIv-Ea_IpKB_gEiJ4gND2dborPkqX-dESFGq0JGCQYJ-19iIQz71Q3ABwSnlnN7Vmtb1UYnX-n8gsxiC425h63S_7Apkg3Ra19FdByULD9IZXjV6T_NGs8nlIsTueJWfNeqfegLJWmTBpBz3m7zuh9cFNDxRaprWPgy9omJyGYKdiQIQjtXvSWrT32XRJwEMDEKLIyiSEbKRVKNuKevdaRqxy1flE5mpGYVv-_4oTUihPp756AZX4y2xqAuakzwvLJoIfy_NNWVobdk2Buxk_HzRU1UOtaD0IyHN3tJx332asTTU48zx0zkrpiYNFbTrUIIUBLFew696PSKKbNO_hAPTDLlKLLYlp1_gfElLArCYAFczOjFbX96dD8Eah9t3LtzYfBp3hsTnQUaAUgaEOOGDE5tBFslg7M2gxet4C_z0GuoEAxaMAfwhhUpjmyJklTovFiuBMXJlfXYlOoiCSx2QaAAcnBj75YN2rLu8FEi6sC1uWnVEzXdsrSZsYB4XsZA6btSvP4BfOYGYnd4fZNzoOCxeWHSpoVoJOqZ62XejrbdWoysduKcg=w430-h763-no

*lh3.googleusercontent.com/cWgOsfVRp_fIWTgHahmh_UR1-RZTU3_F0JSBIyaMA2Sz0A2o0CI4DQLQcOxBPcVtnFZQOriFg1pDW-DMtl5PvnfxVXfzIjXh-c8g1cGdPRIqzaIK4q7Ltc68hG8Htzcr_9AsCAv8GanEa1CFxSJEdN96l2iklHSfrpjrcHxKpkRye6LBF0hmPYBStlxmc3lP9_XvfEdUnFa48uf1bEudCr-ovA9ssVMkRrE1CN9IMFlL1YtAKezCDQohFCgKm4rZ6NBwreiJ9cmCr03aOxd8TCbiABslL_bkhqs9xKvyEBjp_3uklhGf8nEVEXis8XU8CdZZgcCCASTdhw7y7vyUP4c-ZIJZ0GiFxSCoLmNhp-ZZgpTNBKasLoNk7yVWiJH_UuMz55ot-mN6Iex1aiu201XzmbeIbRvLtdHbEXGF5M7K5YCYuLH4XEMSODH8hAYHpC-Af7q6kPHCVS2zAcJbLiRhxUxNxoz-ZySnYvIt224XF1gzJxqMVbZ7wxeyY7MN1Nwu8F7nsbqxNyLJqoLBcmiUGKI8h2-nSYPtQQdp1NHUFBN88-1em3KY0y3BPT86ORuKxvW_KONnsDLK6v2TjbBy7LyQcT5xlCbino6cKXjkI47UHQ=w430-h763-no

Top Bottom