Camera talk...

sujoyp

Grand Master
Sorry Nac , I used to know this some years back but now I am out of touch :(

Anybody got something from Flipkart Amazon sale :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sorry Nac , I used to know this some years back but now I am out of touch :(
It seems like it's the same for PnS and DSLR. Built in flash's light triggers slave flashes. If one wants RF/IR, then he has to get RF/IR triggers (transmitter and receiver) and hook them up with the DSLR and external flash.

Commander flash is a great addition, no need to get expensive master flash like 580ex/600ex (or at least this was the case before until 430ex RT). Even Nikon P7800 has this, I don't know why Nikon is not adding this in D3xxx or D5xxx when they do so in a compact camera.
Now Canon's 430ex RT/600ex RT comes with builtin RF, so no need to get third party triggers and the new 430 is not slave any more.
Anybody got something from Flipkart Amazon sale :)
Every year there are wonderful offers, but I couldn't get a DSLR :( This year one can get 1300D for 19k. I am eyeing for a monitor this time. Will see, how it turns out...

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] I dont understand...why do we even need a flash commander ...I can add mode RF triggers and can flash from 100 meters away ...and its cheap just 1800 a pair .
Optical trigger is useful but most of the time a nuisence ...you have to flash towards your subject to make the external flash trigger..my prewedding photographer tried it..and was getting bad results coz I was away..it was flashing some time and not most times.
I told him to get a RF triggers

What will I do with flash commander if all is working fine with RF . I have that on d7000 :D

- - - Updated - - -

I am looking for a simple Gorrilapod...to take selfy shots at honeymoon ;) :D

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
@nac I dont understand...why do we even need a flash commander ..
What will I do with flash commander if all is working fine with RF . I have that on d7000 :grin:
You can put flashes in different channel/group. I don't know if you can do that with just RF triggers (or at least with the basic ones). I am just digging, I don't know all the plus and minus of flash commander vs RF triggers.
I am looking for a simple Gorrilapod...to take selfy shots at honeymoon ;) :D
Travel light man. Why carry a heavy DSLR?

sujoyp

Grand Master
putting flashes in different channels are possible in RF ..my yougnuo trigger have 4 channels...

I will travel light, will only take 35mm with me ;) thats what I carry nowdays, or max my 90mm macro :)

- - - Updated - - -

Nac I saw dual kit lens with 1200D for 20k at flipkart ...this is too much . If I was a newbie I would have grabbed this.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
putting flashes in different channels are possible in RF ..my yougnuo trigger have 4 channels...
See, I didn't know much about flash ;)
Nac I saw dual kit lens with 1200D for 20k at flipkart ...this is too much . If I was a newbie I would have grabbed this.
Holy fxxx, :shock: after discount, it's 18240/- for a dual lens kit. God where were these offers when I was buying. :muttering::cryeyesout:

CRACING

Journeyman
It seems like it's the same for PnS and DSLR. Built in flash's light triggers slave flashes. If one wants RF/IR, then he has to get RF/IR triggers (transmitter and receiver) and hook them up with the DSLR and external flash.

Thats correct. I have manual flash and camera's builtin flash can trigger it but I don't use it because, first camera's battery drains faster, second builtin flash hits directly to the subject/object causing harsh light and third it takes more time to set correct exposure.

later I have got wireless flash trigger (JJC JF-U1 to be specific) and it helps me a lot. Not just for off camera flash but also it works as wired/wireless shutter release. It supports upto 16 channels but I have only one receiver and one flash unit. For two flash units, you need to buy JF-U2 or more receivers which are sold separately. Works with almost all dslr camera brands but you have to buy specific Shutter Release Cable to use wired shutter release remote.

Note: TTL/iTTL won't work when flash unit is connected through wireless flash trigger.

Commander flash is a great addition, no need to get expensive master flash like 580ex/600ex (or at least this was the case before until 430ex RT). Even Nikon P7800 has this, I don't know why Nikon is not adding this in D3xxx or D5xxx when they do so in a compact camera.
Now Canon's 430ex RT/600ex RT comes with builtin RF, so no need to get third party triggers and the new 430 is not slave any more.

I tried to learn about commander mode from different but it seems complex and some people have confused commander mode as slave mode but actually both are different.

In slave mode, we use camera's pop-up flash to trigger the flash unit and we manual analyze how much flash power is required and set accordingly on the flash unit.

Whereas in commander mode, the camera can wirelessly communicate with flash unit. It still fires pop-up flash but only to analyze how much power is required and it sets the correct setting on off camera flash unit before taking the final shot. That means two shots are taken (first one is to analyze but won't be saved in memory) and if you disable pop-up flash in commander mode settings then pop-up flash won't fired in final shot.

Now some flash units won't work with commander mode (camera's builtin RF), especially 3rd party and we have to use wireless flash triggers.

This is what I have understood but I'm not so sure about it.

I'm not happy with flipkart/amazon products pricing. They are not firm with their offers. Not just in this festive sales but every time. Frequently changing price tags without even thinking how it feels to the buyers.

I have bought 32gb Sandisk OTG USB 3.0 pendrive from amazon in this festival offer (lighting deal) and next day they dropped the price by 50 Rs. This is just a small item but how it feels if you buy a expensive product and it costs less tomorrow.

Also I have seen lower price tags in normal days, eg. I got my D3200 for 19k and now it costs 25k on flipkart and little less on amazon. Don't you think it is priced very high? After all its a 4 year old model.

Flipkart, Amazon and etc do so much showoff but won't improve to delivery services. They have come across so many festival sales, lighting sales, flash sales and what not but delivery timing is still worst. I have seen plenty of complaints about amazon prime stating items not being delivered in time, then why to pay extra for fast delivery?

Above said item was ordered on 2nd Oct and still not dispatched. Expected delivery date is 13th and I'm sure it will reach me after that date.

Its festive for them and waiting for us!

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Note: TTL/iTTL won't work when flash unit is connected through wireless flash trigger.

Now some flash units won't work with commander mode (camera's builtin RF), especially 3rd party and we have to use wireless flash triggers.

I'm not happy with flipkart/amazon products pricing. They are not firm with their offers. Not just in this festive sales but every time. Frequently changing price tags without even thinking how it feels to the buyers.

Also I have seen lower price tags in normal days, eg. I got my D3200 for 19k and now it costs 25k on flipkart and little less on amazon. Don't you think it is priced very high? After all its a 4 year old model.

Its festive for them and waiting for us!
I thought some latest RF triggers can do TTL/ETTL.

Camera doesn't have built-in RF, it's something else or is it?

That's how they do business. It's like gold price, they change everyday probably after every order for rarely selling items. :D

D3200 is discontinued. These stocks are most likely old and many a times seller don't discount much to clear the stocks. Even D3300 sells less than that and 1300D single lens kit sells less than 1200D single lens. D90 is 8yrs old, but still in the market and some offers are higher than D7000.

If we're in metro cities like Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi we get delivery lot sooner than the small cities/towns. I think till date they have delivered before the date, just that the date is always more than a week away :D

CRACING

Journeyman
I thought some latest RF triggers can do TTL/ETTL.

Yes wireless triggers with TTL are available but will cost more.

[strike]I think it has to be RF because you set channel and group and the same in flash unit.[/strike] - Check my next post

D3200 is discontinued. These stocks are most likely old and many a times seller don't discount much to clear the stocks. Even D3300 sells less than that and 1300D single lens kit sells less than 1200D single lens. D90 is 8yrs old, but still in the market and some offers are higher than D7000.

Yep its discontinued and I just gave an example but atleast for the sake for festive sales, they should price resonable, rather then all time high.

If we're in metro cities like Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi we get delivery lot sooner than the small cities/towns. I think till date they have delivered before the date, just that the date is always more than a week away :D

Courier service is prompt and I can understand their delays sometimes but why do 1st party sellers take so many days to dispatch. i.e I have bought plenty of items from cloudtail seller and all the time he has taken 4-5 days to dispatch. I don't its stock issue but lack of manpower or they are lazy or they don't have packing materials.

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
TTL is there in some RF triggers but its almost 3 times costly then without TTL...in any case I dont like TTL much, never used TTL on my flash. It feels like dumb more or auto mode. Why do we need it, I want full control of flash myself.
I will reserch on commander mode this weekend. I liked the way yougnuo incorporated rf trigger inside its flash. It cost 5k. Nikon canon counterparts are just 5 times costly.

Regarding sales, prices are really not good enough. I didnt get anything major this year. brought a pendrive, a bike cover, a ladies bag, a saree and a cheap copy of gorrilapod :D ...all the items were dispatched quickly and already received 2 items.

I will use gorrilapod for taking selfy with DSLR .. :D

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
all the items were dispatched quickly and already received 2 items.
I will use gorrilapod for taking selfy with DSLR .. :D
That's the benefit of living in Mumbai. :)
Yeah, selfie stick can't handle the weight of D7000 :D

sujoyp

Grand Master
my plan is to put the dslr on gorrilapod and use my rf trigger to click. I will use multi AF point to use . will test it this time I go to ahmedabad, hope to be successful.

CRACING

Journeyman

May be I was wrong in my previous post. Came across this discussion and it is said that camera uses light sensor and IR built into pop-up flash to control remote flash units.

Also check this website.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
my plan is to put the dslr on gorrilapod and use my rf trigger to click. I will use multi AF point to use . will test it this time I go to ahmedabad, hope to be successful.
Which gorillapod did you get. I think for your cam you'll need the hybrid version

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
After looking at portraits taken with 200mm f/2 even 70-200 f/2.8 doesn't look that good :)
Tried 50mm f/1.8G last week on crop body, I like the result of 200mm prime more (though I haven't tried it personally), not just because it's fast but also I like the compression of the telephoto focal length. But the price is toooooooo much. Cheaper option is 55-200/55-250, that's the best an amateur hobbyist can get. :(

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nac 55-200 VR is a very under rated lens...it gets very nice bokeh and its sharp at f4.5@200mm , and its soo light that these 200mm f2 will feel too heavy. and for starting taking portraits @200mm its great
else you have a choice of getting a manual nikkor AIS 200mm f4 for 8k and play with it or a Nikkor 80-200 AF f2.8 lens for 25k is also nice

we are enthusiast and would never be able to invest in a Nikkor f200 f2 for portraits only :(

Nikon 70-200 vs nikon 200mm

*nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/nikon-200-f2-compared.jpg

Nikon 55-200 size vs nikon 70-200
55-200 size is almost similar to 28-300
*nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/nikkor-24-120-28-300-70-200-extended.jpg

now nac imagine how big is 200mm f2 from 55-200 :D

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Nac 55-200 VR is a very under rated lens...it gets very nice bokeh and its sharp at[STRIKE] f4.5[/STRIKE]f/5.6@200mm , and its soo light
Yeah, for head shot. But for full length portrait, that's not much after seeing 200 f/2
that these 200mm f2 will feel too heavy. and for starting taking portraits @200mm its great
Yeah, it's super heavy. Even some find 70-200 f/2.8 IS heavy. More than the weight, price keeps us far away from buying
else you have a choice of getting a manual nikkor AIS 200mm f4 for 8k and play with it
That's a nice choice :thumbs:
or a Nikkor 80-200 AF f2.8 lens for 25k is also nice
Is that a typo, or is it actually costs 25k?
we are enthusiast and would never be able to invest in a Nikkor f200 f2 for portraits only :(
100% true, esp. me. :D

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nac I wrote 80-200 AF only :) and not AFD ;)

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF

*www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/images1/80-200mm-f28-af/D3S_6218-768.jpg
and not

*www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/images1/80-200mm-f28-afd-new/D3S_2502-0600.jpg

Top Bottom