Camera talk...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Finally, Nikon brings 1" to its compacts. Not just one, but three 1" cameras, together they cover 18-500mm focal length (35mm eq.). Pretty impressive on paper. Widest lens I have ever seen in a compact camera. Kudos Nikon.

And also bring 4k to its small sensor cameras. I guess this would probably be the cheapest 4k camera.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Interesting cameras..one wide one macro and one zoom ...soo people will remain confused as ever :D price is around 600$ for macro, 800 for wide and 999 for zoom

humm will have to wait till price falls to 30s :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
humm will have to wait till price falls to 30s :)
They are not falling below 20k like S110. Even after 4 gen, RX100 still is in mid 20s. Costs of entry level camera DSLRs are more attractive than these compacts.

sujoyp

Grand Master
yup the price of these cam will come down to 30-40k by next year...but I dont expect to go below 20k anytime.
and these cams are really for point and shoot with good quality. they dont compete with entry level dslr.
Also when you get a dslr you know you want to enter into world of photography. its silly to get a dslr to use at auto mode.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
With the launch of DL series compacts, Canon's G7X M2 goes obsolete overnight
It's true right? Is this gonna be a big blow for Canon?
Sony's RX100s are already doing good. Panasonic opted for bigger zoom instead of fast lens with TZ100. Nikon DL compacts may not have built in VF but the price difference will make up for it. How many informed buyers would opt for G7X M2?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nikon and canon are trying there best to beat sony RX100 but truth is Nikon canon offering is too heavy and bulky and not as sleek and sexy as Sony.
The whole point of getting advance point and shoot is to get super quality pics and pocketable.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Nikon and canon are trying there best to beat sony RX100 but truth is Nikon canon offering is too heavy and bulky and not as sleek and sexy as Sony.
The whole point of getting advance point and shoot is to get super quality pics and pocketable.
The difference is not much and yeah, there are people who give more emphasis on the pocketability but overall it consists very less percentage of people, I think. Built quality, more external controls, fast lens, bigger sensor, articulating screen come on you can't put everything in a small body. Sony did it, just because Sony did, everyone not necessarily need to make a clone. So they are trying little different like bigger zoom, more external controls. And most importantly everyone is cheaper than Sony and that's good enough to sell more.
I am gonna see how active I was then and how active I am now.
My activity stats

Camera's age (in days)1560
Shutter count19601
Photos/day13

YearDaysShutter countPhotos/day

give them to check the issue, they can call you regarding cost before repairing it. checking will cost something but not much.
What if the cost is more than I find it's worth to fix it? And there is no service center in my place, I have to courier it and it's adds to the cost. Should I insure when sending it, that adds too.

sujoyp

Grand Master
humm soo you shot 19k from 2011

I started with D3100 in Jan2011 which I sold when it was almost 22000 and D7000 reached 9500 that makes 31500 pics

Days = 1850
per day pics - 17 pics per day

Nac you are actually not much behind :D

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Nac you are actually not much behind :D
You have a whole 12k more and you had compacts before D3100 and now S90. So you have lot more shutter releases under your belt than me ;)
In 2014, it took me a whole year to shoot 2500 shots and the same took me about 45 days when I started.
BTW, got the quotation. Canon service charge is 600/- and plus if there is any spares parts needed.

- - - Updated - - -

How are you getting this data? Is love to know how to find this
You gotta do it manually, at least that's what I did. Look up your archives and see the numbering sequence and date created. BTW, you can see how many shutter releases done in your camera, right?

sujoyp

Grand Master
my D3100 shots were guess...but I remember it more then 21k D7000 I can count and other cams I dont have any records :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I have no clue how to do that. And my cam has been reset a ton of times. So i doubt the numbering would help
Then, you have to check shutter count of your camera.

I try not to reset. I had to only once in this 4+ yrs. So it wasn't difficult for me.

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] as you said I am using my 35mm 1.8 lot more then 17-50 2.8 ....the 1.8 is lot more useful in indoors like hotels and malls.
yesterday I covered my first full event coverage of a godbharai...it was hectic yet fun..
had to shoot at f2.2 as many pics were like someone putting tilak on girl's forehead which need both of them in focus..really missing a continous focus light or a flash.
Anyways got some nice pics..I am happy :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I am using my 35mm 1.8 lot more then 17-50 2.8 ....the 1.8 is lot more useful in indoors like hotels and malls.
Anyways got some nice pics..I am happy :)
That's nice to hear. :) It's not just that wide aperture but also the quality of the lens.

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah ..when shooting a single person at 1.8 , it gives an amazing quality ...but when shooting 2 or 3 we need to change it to 2.2 or 2.8 ..
I shot most pics at 1600 and most of them came out nice.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sony has announced RX10 Mark iii. Now they have matched Canon's focal range but with faster lens.
Focal range - YES
Larger sensor - YES
Features - YES
Price - $1500 Wow!!! That's expensive.

sujoyp

Grand Master
hmm 1500$ for a superzoom cam with 1 inch sensor....it can replace an entry level DSLR at 3 times price and collapsable lens

at 1500$ I will have lot many choices of lens with D5200 (400$ dslr)

Top Bottom