Camera below 30k

raj_55555

Journeyman
Hi guys,
Had a good response in the laptop threads, hope that's the case here too.

What would be a good camera below 30k? I am not a novice, but neither an expert with cameras, this will be my first serious camera though! Any non-offensive comments/suggestions are welcome. :)

I think Canon SX50HS and Nikon P5100 are good choices. I am leaning towards sx50HS.

sujoyp

Grand Master
since ur budget is great y not get panasonic FZ200 which got great reviews for its low light capabilities....

SX50HS is also good no doubt.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
+1 for FZ200

Or if you want better IQ, low light performance several mirrorless are available

If you are planning to invest later on then D3100

nac

Aspiring Novelist
FZ200 and SX50 are good cameras... But in my view, both are too expensive. I would relax my requirements (zoom, constant aperture, PASM in video etc) and get HS30EXR.

OP
raj_55555

raj_55555

Journeyman
Thanks sujayp and marvelousprasant
I really won't be spending anything on the camera, this will be a one time investment. According to this ComparisionFZ200 looses by a fair margin. In any case I don't want to shoot 3-D images, and both seem to be using the same sensors. Any specific advantage of FZ200 that you are aware of over sx50hs?

It's shows that Panaroma isn't available with SX50hs, but I think stitch mode is the same thing. Correct me if I am wrong.

FZ200 and SX50 are good cameras... But in my view, both are too expensive. I would relax my requirements (zoom, constant aperture, PASM in video etc) and get HS30EXR.

HS30EXR costs 21k if I am not wrong, SX50HS is available for 26k on ebay. What do you say?

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Did not like IQ from HS30EXR (compared to FZ150)
Fujifilm HS30 EXR quality | Cameralabs

FZ200 has constant F/2.8 lens which is one very major advantage. It will help take great images in low light situations.

OP
raj_55555

raj_55555

Journeyman
Fujifilm HS30 EXR quality | Cameralabs

FZ200 has constant F/2.8 lens which is one very major advantage. It will help take great images in low light situations.

But SX50hs has much better maximum light sensitivity(2f stops better) and is a lot cheaper as well. I think it's better VFM than FZ200. I will still do a fair share of research and compare pics before buying.

One more thing, sdhc or sdxc? I have no idea.

sujoyp

Grand Master
2f stop better light sensitivity :) you are looking at ISO...if u go above 1600ISO u will get super ugly pics soo 12800 ISO is just gimmick

Now canon have f3.4-f6.5 aperture and fz200 have f2.8 constant soo canon is completely lost here...generally speaking you will not be able to use zoom of ur canon sx50 even in cloudy weather...where fz200 have f2.8 which will help u even at night

but if u want 50x zoom vs 24x zoom then get canon.

OP
raj_55555

raj_55555

Journeyman
generally speaking you will not be able to use zoom of ur canon sx50 even in cloudy weather...where fz200 have f2.8 which will help u even at night
This is new to me. What does "f3.4-f6.5 aperture and fz200 have f2.8 constant" this really mean?

Also care to comment on sdhc vs sdxc? And which class would be sufficient for this camera, I guess class 6 would be enough.

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
This is new to me. What does "f3.4-f6.5 aperture and fz200 have f2.8 constant" this really mean?

f3.4-f6.5 , f2.8 constant - The lower this is the better, because your camera can capture more light when this is lower. Means you can use it better in low light conditions.

f3.4-f6.5 :In this case it is f3.4 when you have not zoomed at all.
At maximum zoom it goes up to f6.5 which means it captures less light.
To compensate this you will need to either
1 : Increase the ISO (not a good thing, makes your pictures grainy unless your camera is capable to handle higher ISO)
2 : Lower the shutter speed (Hand held could result in blur, might need to use tripod / table / something like that)

Constant f2.8 -> This stays the same whether you zoom it or not.

Experts please correct if I am wrong.

OP
raj_55555

raj_55555

Journeyman
Thanks Gen. I did some research of my own. It seems it's aperture vs zooming. I think I will go with the Panasonic one. Thanks a lot guys.

If anybody wishes to comment on the sdhc vs sdxc and which class I should have I will appreciate it. Thanks again guys!

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
SDHC support means upto 32gb cards can be used
SDXC means >32gb cards can be used

SD = Secure Digital
HC = High Capacity
XC = eXtended Capacity

Class 6 extreme or class 10 would be good for videos as well as RAW shooting

sujoyp

Grand Master
It seems lots of doubts got cleared up :) yes its really aperture vs zooming

you dont have to get SDXC ...its costly and I think more than 32GB in capacity.

just get a sandisk extreme class 10 or sandisk ultra class 6 ...in both cases u wont face problem....and if possible get 2x8 GB rather than 1 16GB card...for safety and backup

nac

Aspiring Novelist
HS30EXR costs 21k if I am not wrong, SX50HS is available for 26k on ebay. What do you say?

I see you have finalized your choice, this is just for your info.. HS30EXR costs 19k on ebay.

Yeah, it's little noisy but I still very much like this camera for the controls it offers. Hoping, the recently announced super zooms will be better in terms of IQ. FZ60 is a good one under 20k.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You will be getting one memory card along with the bundle. You can get the extra memory cards as and when you need them.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, most likely it would be class 4 I think. It was class 4 two years ago, won't shouldn't they be giving class 6 now :D

Top Bottom