Buying an assembled computer for 30k

rgsilent

Broken In
I don't require a monitor, speaker, mouse, keyboard and hard disk as I already have all of it.

Budget is 30k as mentioned in the title.

I've gone through the rates and all and came up with one which I think might be the best.

AMD phenom II X4 925
Biostar TA790GXE 128M
4 GB RAM (i'm not sure of the rates here and require suggestion on which one to go for)
XFX 5770 1GB
VIP psu 600W (or maybe 500 if 600 is too much)
any cheap dvd writer and cabinet.

How's the config? And does vip make good psu's?
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Phenom II X4 955 b.e. - 8k
Gigabyte GA880 GM UD2H - 4.6k
Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2x2GB - 4.8k
HD 5770 1GB - 9.5k (MSI Hawk, someone confirm brand suggestion please)
Corsair VX450w - 3.7k
Cooler Master elite 430 cabinet - 2.6-2.8k
LG DVD RW (no arguments about brand please, you can go for any brand you like) - 1k

Total - 34.4k
To reduce total price you may either go for GT 450 or Athlon II X4 635

If motherboard availability is an issue, you can try MSI 880GM E41, should be cheaper

Tell us what your PC is used for.

OP
R

rgsilent

Broken In
It's to be used for gaming. Not hardcore gaming mind. The thing is, I want the comp to last for three years or more in such a way that i have no issues playing games if that makes sense.

And what's the point of spending so heavily on a cabinet? I'm pretty much a novice at all this so would like to know how does having a costly cabinet make a difference? If it is only looks than i'm not into it absolutely.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
costly cabinets have better airflow, wire management, better build quality...etc.
anyways gaming on the same graphics card s not possible for 3 years. new games are very much hardware demanding.

rig-
Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz @ 5k
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H @ 4.5k
2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 2.5k
LG H55N DVD @ 1k
Zotac GTX460 1GB @ 12.5k
Corsair VX450W @ 3.7k
CM elite 310 @ 1.5k

Total - 30.7k

also i forgot to ask your monitor and which resolution you will run??

OP
R

rgsilent

Broken In
^Will it run well on just 2gb RAM?

At the moment it'll be a 17 inch crt so i'll probably run it at 1280 which is the max resolution. I'm going to replace it soon with a 19-22 inch lcd though. Mostly by christmas.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
ok then fine, BTW 2gb will do fine. you can always add another 2gb later. firstly concentrate on the components the are not easily upgradeable anytime, means you cant spend loads of cash on cpu, mobo, gfx card regularly. but ram is cheap and can always be added later.

OP
R

rgsilent

Broken In
Is the athlon series comparable to the phenom ones? I'm looking for a processor which is a bit close to i5 760 in terms of performance.

Any one has any idea on how reliable the vip psu's are? A friend of a friend has been using it with his gts 250 without any issues.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
i5 760 has no match in gaming at that price point. all phenoms fail in front of it. athlons are good all rounders. ofcourse performance is behind phenoms.

better get a quality, stable psu that will give you some futureproofing. corsairs are one of the best rock solid psus. good psu also give you better efficiency.the cheap ones are just time bombs. any load and BOOM.

vip will be better only if you get some very very low end components.

Last edited:
OP
R

rgsilent

Broken In
The cooler master 500W ones are for around 3k mark i think. How are they? I know about corsair being highly rated by everyone. Just that the budget makes it a bit difficult to have it all.

Piyush

Lanaya
^^the above PSU is awesome in performance/price ratio

if u could find one then grab one
ad yes it do comes with warranty
i dunno exactly for how much time period

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
for cabby get CM Elite 310. for PSU get Corsair VX450W (you'll run out of upgrades but PSU will still hold power & warranty). GTX460 or get the card along with new monitor. ram 2Gb enough for now. Athlon II X4 suites you. also the X4 BE phenoms have bad fan problem requiring you invest in new HSF, so don't go for them.

VIP PSU are average but by spending little more you get better reliability & futureproof & warranty. VIP best as reserve choice in case of PSU.

OP
R

rgsilent

Broken In
GTX 460 is like 14k I think. I've read rates here saying they are available for as low as 12k. Can someone point me to some place in Mumbai if it is indeed available for 12k or so?

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Jaskanwar's config is best suited to your budget & needs if you wont be replacing the card for atleast 3 years. Go for it.

Don't trust VIP and Cooler Master Xtreme is even worse, so don't waste your money on any of those. Your friend might be running it without problems for some time, but problems do not give warnings before coming. One moment it is running fine, next moment your display will be off, you'll smell smoke and bang, there goes your PSU & gfx card. It will pinch much more than the 1000 bucks will now.

OP
R

rgsilent

Broken In
Jaskanwar's config is best suited to your budget & needs if you wont be replacing the card for atleast 3 years. Go for it.

Don't trust VIP and Cooler Master Xtreme is even worse, so don't waste your money on any of those. Your friend might be running it without problems for some time, but problems do not give warnings before coming. One moment it is running fine, next moment your display will be off, you'll smell smoke and bang, there goes your PSU & gfx card. It will pinch much more than the 1000 bucks will now.

I see. Only one question though, will 450W from corsair be enough to run the entire system (the one jas) suggested? Cause people are saying 600w or something for 460 gtx.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Yes Corsair vx 450 will be enough. It has been found during testing that it can supply upto 550W. and those zebronics and vip psu's hardly give half of their rated power.

OP
R

rgsilent

Broken In
Yeah i see the logic with going for a 460 instead of 5770 and getting a good psu. RAM i can buy anytime I get some money together from savings. I think i'll probably go with jaskanwar's. Still might take me a week or two to buy it, will keep options open so suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for helping out guys.

Cilus

laborare est orare
One thing, up to a 19" monitor (Max Res: 1440X900) a HD 5770 or GTX460 768 MB is enough. They will offer very good gaming performance on that resolution. Then you can reduce your budget by almost 3k and get a good PSU or another 2 GB of Ram

Last edited:
Top Bottom