Budget Rig upgrade under 9k

jenson_dj

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Would be used mostly to download via torrents. Also would be used by my dad for office applications.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 8k-9k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Ubuntu, WinXP

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: None right now. Planning to use a WD 500GB SATA HDD that i currently have. Would upgrade when prices of HDD falls

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. I already have a Samsung 17" CRT with 1024x768

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: External Case, HDD, Monitor, K/B mouse, speakers, DVD drive(IDE)

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: In a month. Earlier if dad approves the budget ;)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes. I would be assembling it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Mumbai. Probably would be buying from Variety Infotech, Thane or maybe going to Lamington. Also open to buying online if cheaper

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: These are things i shortlisted.

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 260 OR AMD Athlon II X3 435
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P OR ASUS M5A78L-M LX
RAM: 2 or 4 GB as the budget permits. But no idea which brand
PSU: FSP SAGA II 350W

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
for such low budget system nothing beats pentium G620.
processor|pentium G620|3000
motherboard| GIGABYTE GA-H61M-D2H @3110 |3100
ram|2gb/4gb corsair value 1333|700/1200

Cilus

laborare est orare
I don't think any of the Intel H61 or H67 chipset based motherboard comes with IDE port. So you can't connect your IDE DVD RW on it.

I think you should invest in a SATA DVD RW which will be around 900 bucks.

OP
J

jenson_dj

Broken In
Hey thanks 4 d reply guys... Bt ny specific reason I should go for the Intel config and not the AMD config I mentioned? Cause I guess I won't b able 2 upgrade d processor in future with d Intel mobo... And how about the PSU? Would it be good enough?

@Cilus: ya u r rit... Bt I wud install d DVD RW later... Thanks 4 d reply.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Hi,jension_dj I can't find any motherboad with IDE ports May be you have to find SATA to IDE converters,if you want to go with AMD then get these
A6 3650 Processor-5,700
ASUS F1A55-M LX PLUS-3,600
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL)-1,500
within you budget I would prefer configuration suggested by whitester_999 Its powerful you can add a better PSU like corsair CX430 v2

OP
J

jenson_dj

Broken In
Hey Thanks Minion and Whitestar. I would get the Pentium G620 + Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H combo for about 6.2k. And Corsair Value RAM 4GB for 1350. Still confused about the PSU that i should go for. Cause i dont wanna spend more than 2k on the PSU.

Processor+Mobo Pentium G620 + Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H 6200
RAM Corsair Value RAM 4GB 1350
PSU ??? <2k
Total 9.5k

Any help in selecting the PSU. Links and cost would be really helpful.

Thanks

Top Bottom