Browsing as root in FC4

Status
Not open for further replies.

thilina

From Sri Lanka
Can I browse as root in Fedora core 4 coz in my user account I cant write to Fat32 partitions.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yes you can.
In the system login menu (GDM) just put your username as root and give the root/administrative password that you specified while install. There is a way to enable writing to Fat32 for normal users. But for that you have to give me your output for /etc/fstab file.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Nah Abosolutely not. This is a disaster waiting to happen. Don't use root account when connected to net. Even if you are not connected to net, still keep away from root user, because it is a very bad practise. Root account login is only needed if you are a sysadmin in a big company. Home users should try to completely avoid using root account.

To make root partition writeable, edit your /etc/fstab file. the entry corrosponding to the fat partition to look like
Code:
/dev/hda1  /media/fat  vfat   rw,user,umask=000   0 0
[code]
This is just an example, it may vary in your case.
/dev/hda1 is the partition name, to find the partition name in you case look at the output of 
[code] fdisk -l
/media/fat in your case will the folder where you have mounted the fat partition.

eddie

El mooooo
QwertyManiac said:
Yes you can.
In the system login menu (GDM) just put your username as root and give the root/administrative password that you specified while install.
Don't mind but a long time Linux user like you should be hanged by your thumbs for giving that kind of advice. When the 'doze users are moving away from running things as administrator, you are telling a Linux n00b to run things as root? Bad...very bad...

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Erm, I found it easier to do stuff on FC5 as root, I had no problems at all :( But what is wrong in letting a person know how to do so? :( Sorry...

eddie

El mooooo
Logging in GUI as root is not wrong...it is a SIN and on top of that working on internet? You should never fall for this trap. You have chances of getting your whole system screwed at slightest mistake. You can get a rootkit or worm and since you were working as root it will effect your whole system. I still remember the day when I wrote this command as root
Don't try the command
Code:
rm -Rf / home/eddie/tmp

praka123

left this forum longback
No root logins pls.try for local users for rw- edit ur /etc/fstab and mount fat partns as below:
Code:
/dev/sda5    /media/windows vfat  iocharset=utf8,umask=000  0    0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom