Which is Quicker and More secure for a non-techie user?

• IE 9

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Chrome 10

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Firefox 4

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Opera 11

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I can't make Chatzilla work on Firefox 4 RC. Any help?
Why don't you run Chatzilla standalone using XULRunner?

I personally miss the RIP extension for Firefox 4. That makes me stay with Chromium.

Firefox 4 also needs a speed dial by default IMO.

Krow

Crowman
Gimme a link for XULRunner. I tried downloading from a couple of locations. One place the file was not on the server anymore. Other link wasn't working. A third exe install of xulrunner failed to run chatzilla. :/

Krow

Crowman
I got chatzilla from the first link long ago. Both links not working for downloading XULRunner. Tried them both before this too. Maybe because I am behind a NAT.

Yes I am on Windows 7. I am going to install Linux soon though. I miss Julia. :(

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Are you behind a proxy? THe link for XULRunner is an FTP Link which works, maybe all ports apart from port 80/443 is blocked for you? Will upload it my web space and pm you the link later.

Krow

Crowman
^Yeah thanks a lot for that. Even mediafire should do I'm assuming.

I am on college wifi, not exactly unfiltered. :|

tkin

Back to school!!
Posting this post from Opera portable. Got to tell ya, looks and performance are really cool! :grin:
Loved the already integrated Speed Dial,
Ability to search any word by just double clicking and that too through different search engines!!
Private TAB!
Live thumbnails of sites by just mouse over the tabs!
I think it's only the tip of iceberg, that I hav discovered abt opera.. and many more is still to come :cool:

But, there are just few annoyances with Opera. :-(
Like, I can't reopen a closed tab by right clicking, whereas, the shortcut (Ctrl+Z) works.
When I double click a word and select search, it searches in the SAME tab!
Also, I am unable to find out the extension that can "Minimize browser to Tray".

Lastly, the problem which I think can't be solved, is the ability to install Adobe Flash Player w/o admin rights. Since because of this, I am unable to watch Youtube Videos! And this problem was also in firefox portable.
Should I start a thread on this problem?

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

UPDATE: Discovered that Opera has build-in feature to hide browser in taskbar. Also, the shortcut, which is, a long, Ctrl + Shift + Alt + H :))
Is there a setting which would let Opera hide whenever I minimize automaticallly?
1.Go to Settings: Preferences,
2.Now go to Advanced: Browsing
3.Tick the checkbox, "Confirm exit"
4.Now click close and hide option appears.

PS: I have bound the shortcut to a macro key, really helps.

Krow

Crowman
Are you behind a proxy? THe link for XULRunner is an FTP Link which works, maybe all ports apart from port 80/443 is blocked for you? Will upload it my web space and pm you the link later.

Worked. Thanks a million. Now where is the rep button?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you justify this false claim by some proof ?
False claim by proof? okay Chrome loads pages 0.000000001 second faster. Opera lets me do things easily and faster.

Opera's new version 11.10 with a major rewrite is coming. Expect it to blow Chrome out of the water just like Opera 10.50/60 did to Chrome 6. Opera 11 was nothing more than Opera 10.60 + extensions.

*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/opera-10.60-internet-explorer-9-safari-5,2680-13.html

Right now, the Norgwegian browser-maker is the only outfit that can claim to have "the world's fastest browser."
and this is going to be true again in May. ;)

doomgiver

Warframe
why is ie on the list. microsoft should take it out of the door and put it out of its misery.

Opera 11 is interesting!
serious understatement

This report should make it clear that Chrome is the winner:

Source: Safari and IE8 get shamed at Pwn2Own, Chrome still safe... for now -- Engadget
Safari and IE8 get shamed at Pwn2Own, Chrome still safe... for now
Let's see what happens in the real championship.

BTW, I'm too addicted to Chrome. I'll never use anything else.
ie can be broken by a baby. lol. safari is for apple fanboys who cant think of their life without a daily update of their brainwashing.

False claim by proof? okay Chrome loads pages 0.000000001 second faster. Opera lets me do things easily and faster.

Opera's new version 11.10 with a major rewrite is coming. Expect it to blow Chrome out of the water just like Opera 10.50/60 did to Chrome 6. Opera 11 was nothing more than Opera 10.60 + extensions.

Conclusion : Web Browser Grand Prix 2: The Top 5 Tested And Ranked

and this is going to be true again in May. ;)
opera championed most of the "modern" features of the browser, like tabs and mouse gestures(others still dont have a built-in solution)

i use all 3, opera, firefox, and chrome.
chrome's for fast, light, casual surfing, when speed is needed(less than 5 tabs open)
firefox for specialized stuff, like opening TONS of tabs securely(i once epened 100+ tabs, and was still browsing, thanks to bartab extension), online gaming(greasemonkey ftw!!!), secure surfing, reading digit forums(yes, i dont use any other browser for TDF, coz FF got ad block!!!)
opera for daily stuff.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
But, there are just few annoyances with Opera. :-(
Like, I can't reopen a closed tab by right clicking, whereas, the shortcut (Ctrl+Z) works.
This is the icon for closed tabs in case you didn't know. Left click on it to view the list of closed tabs.
*img861.imageshack.us/img861/3149/closedtabsicon.png

When I double click a word and select search, it searches in the SAME tab!
Also, I am unable to find out the extension that can "Minimize browser to Tray".
Press the Shift key while clicking Search.

or even if you don't like that. Opera Menu > Settings > Preferences... > Advanced > Tabs > [DISABLE] Reuse current tab

*img830.imageshack.us/img830/3119/reusecurrenttab.th.png

Lastly, the problem which I think can't be solved, is the ability to install Adobe Flash Player w/o admin rights. Since because of this, I am unable to watch Youtube Videos! And this problem was also in firefox portable.
A workaround solution for this too.

YouTube - HTML5

Enable the HTML5 trial and watch videos in WebM instead of Flash. ;)

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Can you justify this false claim by some proof ?
*img862.imageshack.us/img862/8962/operapeacekeeper.png :)

I'm using only the third development snapshot of Opera 11.10. Dozens are yet to come.

J

Joker

hmm... Here we go... Do we need another browser war / best browser thread?

I can't believe, ico is still replying to these kind of threads?
after reading the above discussion, now do u realize why we need such threads? :| oh atleast we are "contributing" to "these kind of threads" instead of just making random comments. :|

pauldmps

Banned
I have used all the browsers including FF, Opera & Chrome. I find Chrome significantly faster (on my 5yr old PC), lighter on resources (FF hangs too much) & best in usability.

Yes Opera might be feature-laden but how many feature do you actually use ? I kept coming back to Chrome because it works as it should for me. No unnecessary options & functions are present.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^Yeah thanks a lot for that. Even mediafire should do I'm assuming.

I am on college wifi, not exactly unfiltered. :|

btw can you connect to IRC? I would doubt port 6667, etc. will be allowed if FTP port is denied. You'll be stuck with webchat in that case.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

vineet said:
Copy the flash libraries into the plugins folder of Opera Portable?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used all the browsers including FF, Opera & Chrome. I find Chrome significantly faster (on my 5yr old PC), lighter on resources (FF hangs too much) & best in usability.

Yes Opera might be feature-laden but how many feature do you actually use ? I kept coming back to Chrome because it works as it should for me. No unnecessary options & functions are present.
well, I personally know which browser to use on my 6 year old PC whether it hangs or not. Firefox. Chrome and Opera feel significantly lighter doesn't mean they're really light on resources. You can check out ithehappy's screenshot for that clarification.

Chrome works for you. Good enough. As far as "faster" is concerned, I've shown you a proper review albeit old and current benchmarks.

But as far as "unnecessary options" in Opera are concerned, just don't use them. I'm personally using everything which Opera offers. I still keep away from it in Linux and use strictly Chrome. But Opera in Windows 7 is the best browser ever, nothing comes close.

Goten

Banned
I use chrome10 firefox4rc and ie8....Just like them all and use them as per usage or the site i wanna surf.

Peace~~~!

well, I personally know which browser to use on my 6 year old PC whether it hangs or not. Firefox. Chrome and Opera feel significantly lighter doesn't mean they're really light on resources. You can check out ithehappy's screenshot for that clarification.

Chrome works for you. Good enough. As far as "faster" is concerned, I've shown you a proper review albeit old and current benchmarks.

But as far as "unnecessary options" in Opera are concerned, just don't use them. I'm personally using everything which Opera offers. I still keep away from it in Linux and use strictly Chrome. But Opera in Windows 7 is the best browser ever, nothing comes close.

Coz of your detail comments, I am going to try Opera 11 now but somehow I am still in love with FF due to the extensions. :grin:

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Well guys what is the best query always depends on user to user. No one can say Opera is the best, FF is the best and etc...If you like Opera more than FF then use it, have peace, if you like FF more then use it...I do agree IE even with their latest version can come any near of FF/Opera's.

J

Joker

And the no ads extensions suck TBF.
enter this in your URL bar: opera:config#PersistentStorage|UserJSStorageQuota

and set the value above 500. save and restart. it will work fine - the way it should.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
And the no ads extensions suck TBF.
Works completely fine.

*img153.imageshack.us/img153/7173/72915551.th.jpg *img851.imageshack.us/img851/4664/16699652.th.jpg *img859.imageshack.us/img859/9840/48699567.th.jpg *img848.imageshack.us/img848/2540/32978728.th.jpg

*img842.imageshack.us/img842/7021/88154308.th.jpg *img696.imageshack.us/img696/555/75787654.th.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

IMO Opera should get rid of the status bar, putting Unite, Link, View somewhere else and use overlay status bar for giving link information, etc.
*addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/details/popup-statusbar/0.4.2/?display=en

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom