Which is Quicker and More secure for a non-techie user?

• IE 9

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Chrome 10

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Firefox 4

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Opera 11

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
World's most complicated comment :))

I just opened all the 4 browsers mentioned here and all with 5 same tabs to see which one is hogging the maximum memory, and here is the result :)

*img824.imageshack.us/img824/9572/browsers.th.jpg

thats is some crazy job to do. Thanks.

My opinion: In today's world when most of us are using 4-8gb ram, does it matter which one consumes more memory. I don't care if the ff even consumes 512mb ram, coz I have enough ram for it. (FF anabolism ? No :)))

J

Joker

FF work great for me except memory leak.
firefox memory problems were fixed ages ago. :neutral:

World's most complicated comment :))

I just opened all the 4 browsers mentioned here and all with 5 same tabs to see which one is hogging the maximum memory, and here is the result :)

*img824.imageshack.us/img824/9572/browsers.th.jpg
i am of the opinion that free RAM is unused RAM. it doesn't even matter now a days. but yes, chrome being "light" is a myth and firefox being "heavy" on resources is a myth too. chrome and IE are using the most amount of memory in ur screenshot. but still firefox 3.6 is slow. firefox 4 rc is very snappy.

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 AM ----------

here is a browser comparison from july 2010 - Conclusion : Web Browser Grand Prix 2: The Top 5 Tested And Ranked

opera wins and it has also got extensions since then.

tkin

Back to school!!
I'm a die hard opera users(using it since v8) and the new 11 version rocks, got the best looks, user extensions, very fast startup times and good response.

On a side note, the new IE9 is really very good, I'm placing it just below opera, it shows how much thought MS had put into it, the interface needs some work as I think putting the url box and tab bar in same line makes it look clumsy, but otherwise very well built, and also its the first publicly available browser to use GPU acceleration(all others in beta, does not count).

Also the IE9 scores very good on Sputnik test with 67 only(lower the better) and beats even Opera with 74, Chrome gets 130(ouch), FF gets 258 (All with latest public build), ms put a lot of muscle in IE9 and I believe it deserves to be in the same league with the likes of chrome and opera.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
As far as a non-techie person is concerned, I dont think, there can be more simple to look and work browser then, Chrome!

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
firefox memory problems were fixed ages ago. :neutral:

No mem leaks for me since version 3.0.1. :| Try Firefox 4.0 RC.

:+1:

I am using FF 3.6.15 and 4GB in my laptop , I think its sufficient for to run FF.But after some time the memory usage start increasing and FF start getting laggy and freezing.Then only option left for me to restart the FF.I can't swtich to FF 4.0 because due to Add-on compatibility.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Seriously, Chrome is a huge hog.. Every tab, every extension etc has its own sandbox that means it uses more RAM.. for eg.. my Crunchbang x64 uses around 180 MB RAM when booted.. but once I fire up Chromium & open around 6-7 tabs, the RAM goes way beyond 700 MB..

Goten

Banned
Which is Quicker and More secure for a non-techie user?

Answer - All....I hope non techie does not mean computer illiterate.

Secure - Opera.
Fast and light - chrome.
Fast and addons - Firefox.

Peace~~~!

J

Joker

why i use opera?

1) css user style changer and user script too
2) TAB STACKING - group ur tabs. ;)
3) faster than chrome
4) no-script
5) turbo when slow connection. this also acts as proxy
6) built-in mail client
7) opera unite for webserver and sharing files
8) better out of the box download manager than any browser. it downloads torrents too.
9) irc client but i dont use it
10) opera sync to keep my bookmarks in sync EVERYWHERE even my mobile. it also syncs things like search engine, blocked adverts, notes etc.
11) browser identity spoofer
12) opera dragonfly very helpful for web development
13) all other browser have private browsing mode which opens a new window. opera also has private tab so that u dont have to open a new window
14) speed dial. ;)
15) one click button to disable image loading and save bandwidth.
16) cookie editor
17) u can also save ur current session and open it later. :p

all of the above things without extensions and now it has extensions too.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
why i use opera?

3) faster than chrome
8) better out of the box download manager than any browser. it downloads torrents too.
11) browser identity spoofer
13) all other browser have private browsing mode which opens a new window. opera also has private tab so that u dont have to open a new window
14) speed dial. ;)

Whoa man!.. These reasons are enough for me to give Opera a try.... seriously man.. Private browsing in a TAB! ... wud be very useful. :p

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whoa man!.. These reasons are enough for me to give Opera a try.... seriously man.. Private browsing in a TAB! ... wud be very useful. :p
well, he forgot about re-opening closed tabs if you closed one accidentally and also pinning of tabs if you don't want one to get closed accidentally. It also has an easy way of creating custom search engines and the great Mouse Gestures. Truly a very underrated browser.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
IMO Opera should get rid of the status bar, putting Unite, Link, View somewhere else and use overlay status bar for giving link information, etc.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
well, he forgot about re-opening closed tabs if you closed one accidentally and also pinning of tabs if you don't want one to get closed accidentally. It also has an easy way of creating custom search engines and the great Mouse Gestures. Truly a very underrated browser.

Re-opening closed tab and pinning are also in Chrome btw. But creating custom search is something new... :)

Also, does Opera provide portable version, like firefox does? Cause, if it did, I can use it on a computer w/o admin rights. Like in office. :grin:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Re-opening closed tab and pinning are also in Chrome btw. But creating custom search is something new... :)

Also, does Opera provide portable version, like firefox does? Cause, if it did, I can use it on a computer w/o admin rights. Like in office. :grin:

Opera@USB : EN : download your free version of mobile Opera:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Posting this post from Opera portable. Got to tell ya, looks and performance are really cool! :grin:
Loved the already integrated Speed Dial,
Ability to search any word by just double clicking and that too through different search engines!!
Private TAB!
Live thumbnails of sites by just mouse over the tabs!
I think it's only the tip of iceberg, that I hav discovered abt opera.. and many more is still to come :cool:

But, there are just few annoyances with Opera. :-(
Like, I can't reopen a closed tab by right clicking, whereas, the shortcut (Ctrl+Z) works.
When I double click a word and select search, it searches in the SAME tab!
Also, I am unable to find out the extension that can "Minimize browser to Tray".

Lastly, the problem which I think can't be solved, is the ability to install Adobe Flash Player w/o admin rights. Since because of this, I am unable to watch Youtube Videos! And this problem was also in firefox portable.
Should I start a thread on this problem?

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

UPDATE: Discovered that Opera has build-in feature to hide browser in taskbar. Also, the shortcut, which is, a long, Ctrl + Shift + Alt + H :))
Is there a setting which would let Opera hide whenever I minimize automaticallly?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Can you justify this false claim by some proof ?
Except that he is right.

I remember peacekeeper benchmark giving Opera top rate.

While traditionally Chrome/ium has been fastest on my PC, but just did a benchmark.

*www.jpeghoster.com/images/28645995422855073147.png

Weirdly Chromium 10 was significatly faster than Opera or this score of Chromium 11 if I remember well. Think it's a regression bug.

Krow

Crowman
1) css user style changer and user script too
3) faster than chrome
4) no-script
5) turbo when slow connection. this also acts as proxy
9) irc client
14) speed dial. ;)
17) u can also save ur current session and open it later. :p

I must say that Opera's image preview extension is very good. :)

I used and loved Opera for these features. Ever since Fx 4 has come around, I can't give it up. Adblock Plus + Element hiding helper is ultimate win. Fanboy's list for Opera needs to be manually updated, making it a no. And the no ads extensions suck TBF.

But I think Chatzilla>Opera IRC client.

I can't make Chatzilla work on Firefox 4 RC. Any help?

Can you justify this false claim by some proof ?
Victim of Google's marketing. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom