Browser War - Take your pick

IMO, the best Browser is:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Re: Internet Explorer 7 vs. Firefox 2

If I had these two choices I'd go for Firefox 2 even though Firefox 2.0 crashes like hell in my laptop. I have sent error reports and emailed them about this, hopefully it will be resolved. I find the design of IE 7 too 'boxy' and conventional, maybe it will be good for professional. Meanwhile I am using Opera 9.0 waiting for a Mozilla FF update which I hope will be soon. :D

vimal.rastogi said:
hey guys im not well versed with the IT world,can ya plz tell me the advantages FF2 has over IE7

There are many of them. I liked the Firefox since the 0.7 days so I might be biased towards it. I'd say, there is no looking back as IE since then except some university and other sites which care optimized only for IE. Firefox is more secure I never got a spyware on it and I find it more convenient with session saver (now it is default) where you can close Firefox and start again resuming where you left last (even the typed post boxes are saved, something not existent in IE) and don't forget the plugins, small apps you can add for whatever extra functionality you want, like controlling your music player while surfing internet. Ah...I forgot spell checker with customization options.

Everyone's experience is different, I suggest you go to mozilla.com and give it a try and see if you prefer IE or Firefox. Its free and much popular among computer users (not only geeks). You will most likely never go back to Internet Explorer once you get the hang of FF, its so good and best, free.

Last edited:

anandk

Distinguished Member
i seem to among the very few still using maxthon *i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/happyandy/th_regmaxthon.gif

sgireesh

Right off the assembly line

firefox for me too. on windows and linux. on ubuntu, kubuntu, slax, mandriva, suse, cent os, knoppix everywhere i use firefox no matter what i am running at that time.

besides ie7 is bulky, insecure and runs only on windows.

yours_truly

Broken In

it appears the installer for Firefix 2 ( from the firefox) site comes with an added surprise ...
Trojan Horse PSW.Lineage.PQ !

eddie

El mooooo

If the MD5Sum matches to the official one then it is a false positive...
MD5Sum for en_US Windows EXE file is
8458f0417f8a23b82a2076c2fe3a0b09 ./win32/en-US/Firefox Setup 2.0.exe

For other MD5Sums
*mozilla2.mirrors.tds.net/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/MD5SUMS

src2206

In the zone

Read the CNet comparitive review of FF 2 and IE 7.

IE 7 came nowhere near to FF 2.

Vyasram

The pWnster

reviews arent necessary , one can clearly see opera reigning firefox

for me

opera>firefox>ie

but, i still gotta use ie for windows update :(

G

gxsaurav

With Automatic updates, it downloads all the updates, some of them which are not required, However with Windows Update, it only downloads what u chose, not only this saves bandwidth, but also protects against WGA in case u r using pirated OS. It's good to disable automatic updates

sarang

Right off the assembly line

FIREFOX is the best, IE sucks. IE is a joke of a browser. why is IE an browser in the first place?:cool:

people are reporting memory leaks. for them an update is available.

anandk

Distinguished Member
firefox vs opera.

there has been a lot of IE vs. XX comparisions.
here is an informative link about ff vs. op.

Opera Is Easily The Best Browser Available

"Everyone these days seems to be raving about Firefox, and how it should be used over Internet Explorer...agree with these people, however Firefox isn’t anywhere near the best browser out there. Opera outperforms Firefox in basically all tests..."

Which browser uses less RAM?
opera anyday !!!

Cold and hot start times
Firefox 1.0 - 11.54 seconds.
Firefox 1.5 - 17.26 seconds.
Firefox 2.0 - 11.64 seconds
Opera 7.54 – 4.90 seconds.
Opera 8 – 3.66 seconds.
Opera 9.01 – 2.47 seconds.

Rendering times
Opera is far faster than Firefox...at rendering

Which browser is more web compliant?
Simply put, Opera.

Security
Since Firefox 1.x has been released there have been over 125 vulnerabilities. Opera is the most secure browser out there.

Costbothe free now - The only difference is that Opera is closed source while Firefox is open source

Extensions
A lot of Firefox fanboys will claim that Firefox has extensions, and they can't do without them. Stated the most is ad-block (which Opera has built in). Well opera has widgets, which is basically the same thing as Firefox's extensions...

do check the link mentioned above for details. *smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/r/wrysmiley.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom