Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

tkin

Back to school!!
Rendezvous with Rama was good. I like to think of it as a standalone book.

After that it starts going haywire. Rama II is still ok, Garden of Rama and Rama Revealed just go insane.
Exactly.

If this turns bad I will skip the rest of the books in this series, will start with The Wise Man's Fear or Jurassic Park(based on my mood).

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Ooh boy, just read something by Asimov. After reading his funny fantasy, I could not pick up his sci-fi, because his fantasy is just so much better (Azazel).
But then, read a short story that just blew me away... it's much more dark and intense than his regular sci-fi
it's called "hostess", and is available for free here:
*archive.org/stream/galaxymagazine-1951-05/Galaxy_1951_05#page/n87/mode/2up

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
The Story of Cawnpore
available here : *archive.org/details/storycawnpore00thomgoog
English soldier's POV of 1857 sepoy uprising

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Why no one suggesting any good books? I am almost finished reading up Jack Reacher Series. Can any one suggest any thing similar?

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
I have not read or seen the game of throne series and plan to do both. Should i read the book first and then watch it or the other way?

tkin

Back to school!!
Started reading Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. It's extremely interesting. The setting gives a reminiscence of Tolkien's world, but with more prominent magic system. The story has very little violence but very rich world description.

Read the first three books in one week. I suggest all fantasy lovers to read the first book(The Eye of The World) at least, you will get hooked for sure.

-------------

Also read The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Very nicely written, rich setting, massive battles, and plenty of violence to go by. Magic is not that well developed but contains plenty of politics and plot twists. Suggested for mature readers.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Almost finished Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
every page is fun to read, not just text with moments in between. One of the best books I've ever read. This guy can write.

tkin

Back to school!!
Almost finished Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
every page is fun to read, not just text with moments in between. One of the best books I've ever read. This guy can write.
No doubt, Stardust and American Gods are two of his most amazing works, and he also authored an exciting visual novel, Sandman.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Have to read Stardust and American Gods next. Liked Sandman, not sure if Anansi Boys is American Gods 2 or not.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^ooh, will read the book first then

Reading Caesar's Commentaries. It is about the war in gaul. Unbelievable to read directly, the accounts of one of the greatest war commanders in history. 52 BC, and it still feels like it has not aged.
One big revelation was yes, Caesar does refer to himself in third person, but while reading it, it does not appear to be from vanity or pride, as depicted in say the Asterix comics. It is more for the sake of clarity, and to give an impersonal and objective view of things, as if someone other than Caesar had written it.
(there are some things which I had not heard of at all before, such as burning your own villages before marching to war to ensure you fight that much harder, or marrying off your own mother for diplomatic reasons, or that Caesar fought on the front lines, not just giving orders.)

Anyone have recommendations, anything before 1000 AD, memoirs of or accounts by historical figures who were not primarily authors

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Reading Hobbit..
Wonderful book, movie feels like crap now. BTW one random question, how do you guys read books?
1. Go slowly, like maybe a chapter or two per day making notes & stuff
2. Leaf through pages @ may be 100 - 200 pages a day.
3. Something else

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
don't make notes, just fold the important pages
it's not even 1 book at a time, read one physical book while travelling, in the middle of a bunch of ebooks, and pick up comics every now and then
but pacing for all is same

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Reading Hobbit..
Wonderful book, movie feels like crap now. BTW one random question, how do you guys read books?
3. Something else
Notes? What notes? Why notes?

tkin

Back to school!!
Reading Hobbit..
3. Something else
From my kobo reading stats: 4.2 pages per minute.

I read very fast and have good memory, I storm through the books.

- - - Updated - - -

You to keep record of important stuff, because TBH, in reading long novels I forget tiny details..
That's why we have wikia, helps when I drop and then pickup a series long time later.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
From my kobo reading stats: 4.2 pages per minute.

I read very fast and have good memory, I storm through the books.
On kobo, 1 page = A5 I guess?

In that case
Holy Crap! You read damn fast

Also which one I should start next? Master of game by Sidney Sheldon or Godfather by puzo

Top Bottom