Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Finished Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less - 3/5.

Reading Metro 2033 and A Confederacy of Dunces

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Completed Metro 2033 - So much more than the games. But the games are executed beautifully giving shapes to the mutant abominations and the places as you read. Ending took me by surprise, more so if you read the book first.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Anyone read Anansi Boys?

Just finished Pillars of the Earth and then read World Without End.
Went back and read some bits of Pillars of the Earth. It's supposed to be a modern classic, but is badly written. The most compelling thing about the book is not the cathedral (which is what the author thinks it is about), but the people and the story. It was too involving.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
So this got published this year by Penguin books
My Fiancée, Me & #Ifu**edup eBook: Aarya Babbar: Amazon.in: Kindle Store

*i.imgur.com/7nZ4n7o.png

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I thought Chetan Bhagat was rock bottom till Amish showed up. Then I thought Amish was rock bottom.

no wait, I want to read this. This seems to be like a very well written satire on aimless millennial kids with bad grimmer and no convictions
I don't really have a problem with the sms language, because it is unpretentious, not like Amish who thinks he can write.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^So Chetan Bhagat is the best out of abysmal Indian writers ?

Reading Roadside Picnic. The translation and language is so much better than Metro 2033. It's like nearer to F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I don't think I have the right idea of good and bad any more

I once imagined a book exactly like this and thought how much fun it must be, then saw someone doing it sincerely, and instead of the language being atrocious and amusing at every line, it becomes one of the background issues

saw some other titles there, the things people also apparently purchased. Seems like there is a market and an audience that does not really care so much for good language anymore, I don't think they even care for understanding something.

I just feel like books have now died

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I don't think I have the right idea of good and bad any more

I once imagined a book exactly like this and thought how much fun it must be, then saw someone doing it sincerely, and instead of the language being atrocious and amusing at every line, it becomes one of the background issues

saw some other titles there, the things people also apparently purchased. Seems like there is a market and an audience that does not really care so much for good language anymore, I don't think they even care for understanding something.

I just feel like books have now died

I don't think so.

Its like book world has seen a clear division as like movies. Purely commercial and art house.

By selling these craps the publishing house still can afford publishing the good books or afford some re-prints of some rare books. Just a theory.

But, its good sign people are reading. We can hope that one day they would like to rise above these cheap thrills and read some serious ones.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yeah but you don't watch amateur videos shot without tripod on mobile cam, and shoddily edited with incoherent screenplay
at least there is no market for such movies

there is a big void between the kinds of books people want to read, about familiar topics, using the language as it is used locally, and the shortage of good writers to churn them out. The stories here are more important, than the ability to write them.
these books could really be a lot better with a good editor

Top Bottom