Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Has anyone read the new Dan Brown book yet? How is it?
This,
*www.timeslive.co.za/incoming/2013/02/21/infernocomp.jpg/RESIZED/Small/InfernoComp.jpg

Pre-booked the book at Flipkart. Ha paid 510/-

The book released on 14th May and I received on 17th may. Finished reading it today noon.

This is a Robert Langdon novel, those who have read Dan Brown previous know who Robert Langdon is. So the theme is pretty much same but the start and set-up this time is different.
The start is very much interesting which I must give credit to Dan Brown. Most famous books suffer from a shaky start but Dan Brown has mastered the art of a perfect start. The book though loses steam in the mid, I was getting at times bored with unnecessary info (at times vivid description of some structures) which had no impact on story or whatsoever. I know, in a Robert Langdon novel such descriptions are most important but believe me in this book few such things are irrelevant to the story.

The story picks up at the climax though. When I finished the book, I got a satisfactory feeling. But, the more time passes I'm starting to miss the book. I think this is sign of a good book which stays with you even when you've finished reading it.

If you are aware about Dan Brown's style, its a must read for you. And, its obviously better than "The Lost Symbol"

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^
what is diff about the first chapter, no one gets killed in a spectacular way?
stopped reading after da vinci code, and few pages of lost symbol. if you have read digital fortress, is this better than that?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
^
what is diff about the first chapter, no one gets killed in a spectacular way?
stopped reading after da vinci code, and few pages of lost symbol. if you have read digital fortress, is this better than that?

There are three deaths in this book. One happens in your presence other two happens in the past.

Can't compare it with Digital Fortress, that was a sci-fi thriller but this is one falls exactly what Langdon is famous of doing. Read symbols and uncover truth behind them. More history oriented.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
:( dan brown trolled all his readers in da vinci code
the prologue "All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate." comes after the dedication, which makes it all fiction. all of it is.
the buildings are not located where they are in the book, the paintings are not in the places mentioned in the book. all the connections are fiction too. it's just a manufactured conspiracy, made plausible by references to made up historic things that are presented as "fact". start of the book, Les Dossiers Secrets, was a straight out forgery.

only problem is that he markets it as the truth, if he just said it was fiction it would be much better, but then all those connections would not have too much meaning.

still, for sake of digital fortress and deception point, gonna read this one too

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
:( dan brown trolled all his readers in da vinci code
the prologue "All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate." comes after the dedication, which makes it all fiction. all of it is.
the buildings are not located where they are in the book, the paintings are not in the places mentioned in the book. all the connections are fiction too. it's just a manufactured conspiracy, made plausible by references to made up historic things that are presented as "fact". start of the book, Les Dossiers Secrets, was a straight out forgery.

only problem is that he markets it as the truth, if he just said it was fiction it would be much better, but then all those connections would not have too much meaning.

still, for sake of digital fortress and deception point, gonna read this one too
Reading this far I would not recommend this to you. But, I know you liked "State of Fear", so you should read this one too. But comparing with "State of Fear" its a boring book.

If put his books in order of best to worst,
Angels and Demons>Da Vinci Code>Deception Point>Digital Fortress>Inferno>The lost symbol

darkv0id

Journeyman
Just finished The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. Went in with a lot of skepticism, and emerged as a fan. I haven't read a great deal of fantasy, but this book is the closest I have found to the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, at least in terms of the morally ambiguous worlds and grey characters.

P.S. To the gamers of TDF: if you are planning to start with The Witcher series, consider reading the Last Wish (and the other Witcher books) first. There is a great deal of world building and character development in the novels.

ajayritik

Technomancer
Reading the book how to go from where you are to where you want to be. Such an amazing book. One of the best I read.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
For fans of Tolkein,

The world of Tolkein, mythological sources of the Lord of the Rings by David Day

Pretty self explanatory, some of the comparisons made :
Numenor - Atlantis
Shire - west midlands
Hobitton - birmingham
Rivendell - oxford
Quenya - greek, sindarin - latin
Lindon, lune - wales, cornwall
Dunedain - roman empire/ carolingian empire
Elves - hebrews
Undying lands - promised land
Umbar - carthage
Arnor - rome
Gondor - byzantium
Arthedain- italy
Rhudaur - germany
Cardolan - france
Rhovanion - germani
Rohan - goths, lombards
Mordor - black sea
Minas tirith - constantinople
Anduin - bosphorus
Pelargir - troy
Harad - spain, africa
Aragorn - charlemagne
Southorns - Saracens
Lothlorien - Celts

Not in the book but guessing mirkwood is the black forest

Tales Before Tolkien: The Roots of Modern Fantasy by Douglas A Anderson, gives a taste of what fantasy was like before Tolkein came along and changed the genre forever

DDIF

Custom User Title
Finished changes by Jim Butcher. .reading wise men fear book 2 of kingkiller chronicle.

Wow, I finished Wise Man's Fear yesterday. Good enough book.
Now reading Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles #6) by Kevin Hearne.

Allu Azad

Time Ruins Everything
Treasure Island by Stevenson
The Parasite by Conan Doyle

Going to start The Infatuations by Javier Marias .

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Suggest some dark Fantasy/SciFi novels ?
Ive found out some that look interesting
the way of shadows (and it's sequels)
Dune
The painted man(and it's sequels)
Which one among these should i start first.. any other suggestions ?

mastervk

In the zone
Dune

For fantasy try game of throne series of you have not read it.. Mistborn series, black company series, tiagna, dark tower series, blade itself all are very good
For science fiction try foundation series, ender series, hyperion series...

Krow

Crowman
Dune

Dune is an excellent book, although it is shallow. Not worth reading any of its sequels. Just stick to book one. The content wasn't that great now that I think about it, but it is an excellent one-time read.

For fantasy, Lord of the Rings is best. Dark fantasy, try Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's a 10-book epic, much better than game of thrones or wheel of time according to many readers. I'm going to start book 1- gardens of the moon.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
dark fantasy/sci-fi - read anything by Moorcock, Fortress of the Pearl, Dancers at the end of Time, and Eternal Champion series (best are Earl Aubec, Von Bek and Corum)

then there is Dark Alchemy, collection of short stories by many top fantasy authors, including Neil Gaiman and Eoin Colfer

Midway through Mafia Queens of Mumbai by Hussain Zaidi (Black Friday). Its non-fiction but reads like a very good story.

DDIF

Custom User Title
Dune
Which painted man are you talking about? If it's fantasy I think you are talking about The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett, if I were you I would stay away from this book, too many loopholes and cliches.
I don't say that this is not enjoyable but I tend to skip these kind of books.
Try Homeland by R. A. Salvatore and its sequels. You can also go along with The Wheel of Time series starting by The Eye of World (Robert Jordan) but I must tell you that book no 7 - 10 are such a drag in the series that you would want to kill yourself. But it's quite a good series if you like Tolkien.
Then there is Assassin's Apprentice (Robin Hobb) and it's sequels, they are really great books. I've read and heard a lots of good things about The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan form my friends but I havent' read it yet, but I will start this tomorrow.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Guys any good thriller novel on the lines of sidney sheldon, with some good english ? It should be gluing. How's Dan brown's books?

Top Bottom