Bizzare Upload Speed in UTorrent.!!

Hrishi

While Downloading a Torrent , I noticed that there was a sudden spike in Uploading speed in Utorrent.
My maximum uploading speed should be around 80-100KBps , but I am wondering why it crossed 2MBPS in utorrent.

I don't think a 1mbps internet plan can provide such high upload speed , so what exactly is causing this ???
I have taken screenshot as well. :shock: ,

*img22.imageshack.us/img22/9286/highupload.png
Screenshot.

mitraark

Decrepit
CAn you mention your Internet Service Provider ?

Many ISPs support local peering , people on same network as yours will be able to download from/upload to you locally without routing the data through internet, at speeds supported by your connection. Maybe that is the case here, you were uploading to someone who is has the same ISP and it supports local peering.

OP
Hrishi

Hrishi

GamerAnand , I would have ignored it but find it hard to falsify such speed , since this happened with download speed too. The download speed too went up in MBPS.
Reached upto peak 2.5MBPS.
WHat amazes me is that the , the file was completely downloaded from ~52% to 100% within mins. ANd it was completely intact , no broken file.

IDK , what caused this. I checked the WI-FI and it displayed the data transferred , so I beleive its not false.
My ISP is : SpectraNEt.
The ethernet cable that comes to my home from my ISP has a maximum speed limit of 10Mbps.=1.2MBPS.
Don't know how come it can exceed upto double the speed.

I though about local peers , but even considering that as answer defies the speed limit of 10mbps.

Update : I think my ISP provides me with a log for network traffic , I will check that tommorow and will let know.

tkin

Back to school!!
What's the problem, do you get billed for usage? If not then keep seeding.

Ask yourself this, would you inquire as much if your DL speed got doubled?

OP
Hrishi

Hrishi

What's the problem, do you get billed for usage? If not then keep seeding.

Ask yourself this, would you inquire as much if your DL speed got doubled?

No I don't get billed , but its good to know why this happend . Its not bad to be inquisitive , or is it ??

Theodre

In the zone
I have once got full 1mbps DL speed in my 2mbps connection when downloading through Transmission :) ubuntu 9.10 :) But it didn't last very long though :( Just 15 mins :) I have to ask did this speed spiked when in the morning???

gameranand

Living to Play
Well if you are really concerned then ask your service provider if they changed your plan or something on their own, if they haven't then you are a lucky guy, ENJOY. :p

OP
Hrishi

Hrishi

I have once got full 1mbps DL speed in my 2mbps connection when downloading through Transmission :) ubuntu 9.10 :) But it didn't last very long though :( Just 15 mins :) I have to ask did this speed spiked when in the morning???
Yes , twas in Morning.
The speed was really pathetic in early morning. Then suddenly it beamed for say 20-25 mins.

That happened only yesterday , I think Utorrent was storing the data in buffer/cache and reading it suddenly caused sudden surge in speed. (Maybe , since there is no other explanation to this I was able to get.)

gameranand

Living to Play
Well this happens to many. My friend got a 512kbps connection to theoretically he should get around 70KBps speed but for aroung half and month or month he got more than 512KBps speed for downloading but then speed got slow automatically. I guess it has to do something for ISP, maybe they mistakenly provided you this speed when when they realize then they reduced it.

OP
Hrishi

Hrishi

Well this happens to many. My friend got a 512kbps connection to theoretically he should get around 70KBps speed but for aroung half and month or month he got more than 512KBps speed for downloading but then speed got slow automatically. I guess it has to do something for ISP, maybe they mistakenly provided you this speed when when they realize then they reduced it.
I can accept your explanation , but in this case there was a practical & theoratical speed limitation on the LAN wire coming from ISP.

The LAN wire has speed limit of 10mbps. Which is around 1.2MBps. Whereas my stats shows 2.2MBps upload & 1.8-2MBps download at same time.
Theoratically it requires a cable that supports at least ~30MBps speed uplink+downlink.

I was a little bit concerned because I suspect there might be a problem with the PC itself. Since , I can't find a reasonable explanation based on ISP's end for this.

Top Bottom