Votes: 41 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
eggman

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
As far as people saying that Walkman phones only delivers good Bass, I don't agree. Surely it has a Megabass feature, and it gives terrific bass in expenses of mid and lows.Thats the only reason I don't prefer MEgabass, its just a marketing gimmik. But as I said, if one try with neutral settings you can find that Walkman phone delivers all ranges well.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Have tested both and both Suck a huge time.
Tried the ultimate Apple lossless codecs with Original Cd's and the experience was totally disappointing.Rock losses on Lower Frequencies and Mids are all ok.Treble is just so so.
Sony 850 was also disappointing at 340kbps mp3 made from same original Cd.All Hisses and Boom Boom with out quality bass.
Who ever said Audiopiles equipments includes iPods must be joking.
Too say Walkman is justice to music is laughable.
Try this. Get a Hi-Fi from Sony or Yamaha.Make sure The Cables and connections are all Digital ( Sorry Analog is totally out) Lay hands on DTS Audio Cd( Not even plain vanilla Audio cd ) and listen to it.Get Bose Sound Cancellation headphone or Altec Lansing (Head Phones not Ear Phones)if youare audio head phones freak.Best let all 21" Speakers take Control and immerse into the true DTS.
Whos the best and what music is ....The dabates just stop there..

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ First of all you can't compare earphones to a full blown home theatre. The idea is portability. Sure you mentioned headphones, but those are still not as portable as earphones.

I'm not saying that the iPods earphones are the best, but they aren't that bad that one has to consider spending 14-20k on some bose headphones. And as for your DTS CD, you need a good decoder to do the job, otherwise, if you use something like Winamp's in_dts plugin, its a total waste. And have you heard of MLP on DVD Audio? Yeah, that's even better than your DTS CD. I got the Eagles DVD Audio Disc, and it also includes a DTS track. MLP really kicks asz....

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
my brother has a walkman and me ipod ... well the ipod beats the walkman big time

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
goobimama said:
^^ First of all you can't compare earphones to a full blown home theatre. The idea is portability. Sure you mentioned headphones, but those are still not as portable as earphones.

I'm not saying that the iPods earphones are the best, but they aren't that bad that one has to consider spending 14-20k on some bose headphones. And as for your DTS CD, you need a good decoder to do the job, otherwise, if you use something like Winamp's in_dts plugin, its a total waste. And have you heard of MLP on DVD Audio? Yeah, that's even better than your DTS CD. I got the Eagles DVD Audio Disc, and it also includes a DTS track. MLP really kicks asz....
Hey Goobimana ...nice to see you ..and Hello.
Anyways Thanks for the Update on MLP but still i think DTS 5.1 are still better than MLP's ..Heres why : *www.audioholics.com/education/surr...s-dts-a-guide-to-the-strengths-of-the-formats

And theres no question of using PC n Winamp with Dts Plugin..its a big cheat and total waste of time, like you correctly pointed out and i had like to add that i never mentioned PCfor the same reason in the above post.I said HI-FI and mosts HI-FI ( not Mini Hi-fi tough some have) have inbuilt Hardware DTS decoders.I love listening to Pink Floyd on DTS and Yes correctly Eagles too have it On DTS. Torrents Provides it. :)
One more thing.For Ear Phones CD's are ofcourse the best else whats the point in Down mixing DTS to Stereo again.And those Virtual Technologies for Ear Phones are all crap.
Still one thing is pretty sad . Not many titles there . Not even to buy.In Bollywood theres just one . Dhoom 2 That came on DTS 5.1. But Getting that music Cd is really tough. Wish more people drop into the real Audio Stuff.
Have fun and let the music Play !

ankushkool

Youngling
Why u guys comparing a phone with a mp3 player???

the right comparision sud be btw ipods n sony new walkman mp3 players..... no competition here sony wins with very good sound quality

for de entire sony range goto
*shop.sonystyle-europe.com/SonyStyl...=GB&languageId=GB&s=external&ss=show&id=nwa3*

or check out this one
*www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2065449,00.asp

runeet

Broken In
the in-ear headphones that are bundled with the w810 phones are actually very hazardous as compared to those bundled with the ipod, prolonged use of those earphones can cause a certain amount of deafness, even the earphones bundled with ipod cause the same thing but those of w810 cause it faster, so try to use those big headphones.

nix

ipod...rules...its a style statement man...and also, its so so easy to use...
esp in india ppl will turn and look at ur toy...
edit: i wanted to add..these Nseries and the other (have it all) phones havent come of age yet you know...they have everything but they are perfect in nothing..there is so much delay jumping b/w menus you know...

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
@freshseasons: what does that link have to do with DTS being better than MLP? MLP tracks are if I remember correctly, upto 18mbps against DTS' 1.5Mbps. That site only says that MLP is not that widespread, doesn't mean that it isn't good. There's also the higher resolution frequency of 96khz as against a 48khz of DTS (though DTS does have 96khz, only not that widespread).

Anyway, my point was that this thread is about portable music, not Hi-Fi...

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Yaa if the thing is portable music then Ipod with Apple Lossless encoders ( ughh and ofcourse some decent ear phones ) is unbeatable.
Why ipod. Cuz it is able to play Lossless Encoders which is exactly like hearing the original CD and you need more than 4Gb min to carry around some amount of decent music to make it portable with lossless taking enough space.
So ipod it is presently.
Since its just between Walkman and iPod so Ipod. But given a choice go for Zune as it has Digital out unlike one analog on ipod.The drool guage is not much as an ipod however Zune will just belt out better sound quality than it.( when using Digital out )

Why DTS is Still better than MLP .....
Correct Link :*www.audioholics.com/reviews/software/dvd-audio-reviews/toy-matinee-dvd-a-dts-review

The Winner Is...
So you're probably wondering which multi channel format to choose when listening to a DVD Audio Disc and given the choice of more than one option. Though the question may be phrased easily, there is no simple answer. Because of the implementation shortcomings of MLP DVD-A, there may be cases where the DTS soundtrack will be the preferred choice. For example, if you have all small, or bass deficient speakers, and your DVD-A player and/or Receiver do not process bass management in the analog domain, than the DTS soundtrack may be the way to go to ensure that all the bass from the disc with be faithfully reproduced by your subwoofer and therefore avoid straining your speakers by alleviating them from the bass duties. Assuming bass management is not an issue for your system, you may still prefer the DTS mix over the MLP mix, or vice versa, just because of personal preferences or the quality of the mixing and transferring processes. My point is, you should listen to both soundtracks carefully and determine which one sounds best to you, and which one is most compatible with your system configuration and set-up. In my experience, both formats truly offer better than CD resolution, and the world of multi-channel audio keeps getting better. In addition, the nice thing about DVD-A discs that offer a DTS soundtrack is that they can be played on all existing DVD players that will also play DTS DVD movies. So if you have a DTS decoder on your Receiver or Preamp/Processor and a DVD player that can read the DTS soundtrack on a DVD, your good to go. You don't have to worry about buying any new hardware or multitude of cables to configure your system, just simply put in the disc, select DTS and press play and listen.

So Go ahead the Enjoy the Best music on DTS

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
well my iPod nano rocks , there's not a single distortion at full volume

although i max out at 70% , have to save my ears for later use too ;)

blackleopard92

In the zone
well, i have listened to both w700i and iPod.
I was shocked when i listened to iPod, w700i was soo much better.
i know it was because of the headphones, but, who's fault it is?
cudos to SE for bundling excellent headphones to bring out the best in the walkman. and it's a shame that apple included 3rd class headphones with an excellent player.
if someone buys a costly music player like iPod, one expects excellence from it.the last thing he would want is to goto store again and invest Rs 3000-5000 more.

as for drool value of iPod, i don't get it.I mean, who cares when a pack of donkeys start drooling over you?

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Think smart, convergence is the way to go. SE Walkman Phones deliver exceptional sound quality and is a total value for money. iPod truly is a useless expensive crap.

mr_sriram

Right off the assembly line
I've tried all of the things mentioned..iPods, Walkman & iRiver..

I don't find iPod to be superior to iRiver...iRiver is much better than iPod. In terms of clarity of sound.

As said by someone, it depends on the person....

My rating would be:

1 - Walkman & iRiver
2 - iPod

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Walkman phones are indeed a very good converged devices. Mobile phones with integrated Camera & Music/ Video capability is indeed the future. Too bad that takes away a lot of battery.

Apple has realised what they are missing, thats why iPhone. You wouldn't be supriced if Apple discontinues iPods which are upto 8 GB.

OP
eggman

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
drvarunmehta said:
That only shows that the W810i's headphones are better than the iPod's headphones not that the W810i is better than the iPod.

Now if I spend 1000s of rupees on a music player, I surely want it to be a complete package. I don't want a player and then go and find headphones(and ofcourse paying for it).

daniel_joseph

The Techie!
I own the SE W810i phone and a 30 gb ipod video. SE has megabass which creates the 'thumping' effect by sacrificing the mids and highs. I must say that rap songs by Eminem,50 Cent etc su(ks on the SE even with the equalizer set to normal.
Yo! Dudes, I connected SE's headphones to the iPod and tested them. They seem to be very bass oriented. Another minus point is that the SE phone does not support any loseless codec (except .wav) which is a big minus point. The video playback on the iPod is waaaaay better than SE.
Also the iPods being very very very popular has about 4000 accessories for it manufactured by different companies. iPods are also being used by the English cricketers to see and revise their opponents tactics. Courtesy, great,crisp,clear and vivid video quality.
Finally,THERE HAS TO BE SOME REASON WHY TEAM DIGIT AWARDS THE GOLD BEST BUY PRIZE TO THE iPods ALWAYS! C'mon, it's the great sound quality, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom