Best Value for money Desktop within 85k

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordirecto

In the zone
I am currently analyzing to get a desktop within 85k. I have managed to decide on these components so far. I would like you to suggest me any changes that I need to do inorder for me to keep the config within my budget.
The config is as follows.

Processor: Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge 2400 CPU @ ~9.7k
Mobo: Asus P8P67 @ ~10.4k
CPU cooler: CoolerMaster V6 GT @ ~4.8k
RAM: Gskill ripjaws 2x1GB 1333 F3-10600CL9S-2GBNT *2 @ ~3k
GPU: ASUS HD6950 2GB GDDR5 @ ~20K
HDD: Seagate 500GB 7200.12 @ ~1.8k
PSU: Glacialtech GP AX 950 AA ( 950W ) Modular @ ~7.9k
Cabinet: CoolerMaster 690 II Plus with side-window @ ~5k
Monitor: DELL Ultrasharp U2311H @ ~13.7k
Keyboard: Logitech G110 @ ~3.3k
UPS: APC 1000VA @ 5k
DVD Drive: LG 22X SATA DVD @ 0.9k

Total ~ 85.5k

I do not need a mouse as I already have a G500. I also have my old Creative speakers, but I use earphones almost 99% of the time.

I do want to go for a Sandy Bridge configuration, as I think it is more future proof than Nehalam based processors.
I am unsure of the mother board as I am not sure if it will be compatible with CM V6 GT, so any suggestion on that will help a lot. Also is there any motherboards that will give same or better performance at this price range?
The PSU seems like an over kill, but I also feel that a modular power supply will help a lot in having a organised cabinet. Is there any PSU that will offer modularity in the same price range?
I seriously would like to know if I should go for a cabinet with side window. Performance is more important to me than looks. So please let me know if adding a fan on the side will enhance air flow, or just create a turbulance in the cabinet?
The monitor seems to be the most difficult decision. I need a monitor that will be HD of 1080p. Also I do not want a small monitor that will cause excessive eye strain. I also found a few Samsung monitors that were 24" and only costs 10k, which I seriously doubt its performance.
I would like to know the performance of G110 keyboard. Some people tell that it does not type smooth, is it true?
Do any one know how to hook up a Secondary cell to the UPS so that it can provide atleast 2 hours of stand by? Or going for some company based back up power is better?

I do not plan to overclock in the near future. I may over clock depending up on upgradation that I might go for in future.

I intend to use this computer for intense gaming, lots of reading, and working on network simulation softwares, linux and windows server OS.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 11k~
Noctua NH U12P SE2 @ 3.5k~
Asus P8P67 @ 10k
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600MHz @ 2.6k
Zotac GTX570 @ 20k
WDC 500GB Blue @ 1.7k~
Glacialtech GP AX950 AA Modular @ 7.9k
CM HAF 912 Advanced @ 6k
Dell Ultrasharp U2311H @ 13.7k
APC 1000VA @ 5k~
Razer Arctosa @ 2k~
LG 22x Sata DVD @ 0.9k

Total - 84.3k

that psu is a bang for buck.
I suggest u 570 as amd's linux drivers are bad. but will you work on linux professionally or just for the sake of trying it?
U need a k for oc. That cooler is sufficient.
but wait for sandy bridge mobo revisions.
you need to arrange fans for proper airflow.
ultrasharp is bst at that range.

Last edited:

d3p

PowerHouse
I agree with Jas, but don't go with Zotac GTX 570, check Palit GTX 570 Sonic Platinum Edition [Factory overcloked] - 22k.

Check water cooler Corsair H70 - 5k

Don't go with 912, the internal built sucks not quite spacious when you need to upgrade.

Check NZXT phantom Full Tower - 7k. [This is the chepest full tower available in the market till date]

Add a little more bucks.
IMO a corsair 850w - 6.5k will do the job.

abirthedevil

In the zone
+1 for jaskanwars config
V6 is a waste in my opinion and also as you budget permits you can go for gtx570 its overall performance is better than 6970 also jaskanwars config totaled at 84.3k you could get yourself CM HAF 922 for the extra .7k

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
@dep5kor
palit cards suck! problematic.
Noctua NH-D14 is better at 4.6k but he doesnt need those. the sandybridge cpus are very cool even at oc.
AFAIK NZXT Phantom is 8.5k not 7k. where did you find that pricing.
corsair 850w is again 7.4k~. and that glacialtech is just a steal at that price.

@abirthedevil
actually 6970 is very little better in raw performance. but not that noticeable. so we have to give suggestions based on requirements.

Last edited:
OP
lordirecto

lordirecto

In the zone
I will be working on Linux professionally, so I dont think driver issues are hard to deal with.
The reason I want to go for a basic Sandy Bridge processor, i5 2400, is that I will upgrade the processor in six-eight months.
I just found that MSi has priced its P67 mobo lesser than Asus, so now the question is, is it of good quality?
I read somewhere in the internet that Intel has started shipping the B3 stepping from 14th Feb. So is it correct to assume that all mobo manufacturers have revised their motherboards? Check this Link: Click Here.
You have suggested CM HAF 912. I find that the 912 weighs less than the CM 690 II. Also 912 is 200 mm wide, whereas 690 II is 214 mm wide.
I do not feel there is much perfomance difference between the i5 2400 and i5 2500, just a difference of 0.3 GHz in Turbo mode. So does that make a huge difference to justify the variation in price? Since I will be using a dedicated graphics, the CPU graphics wont make any difference, correct?

Last edited:

d3p

PowerHouse
@lordirecto : Just take a 12v with 72AH ot higher battery, which is used in a car.
Without any issues it will give a back up of 3hrs +.
BTW which UPS you own currently ?

Remove the existing one or try connecting them in series. Like "-" end of one to "+"of another.
For more info on this check any remote controller of TV or DVD for battery connections.

@Jas : Check all the prices with Golcha IT Bangalore, even i heard the same goes with a chennai shops too.

But i personally have used Palit cards & they are better in terms of cooling as well as performance.
refer this link : *www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gtx-570-sonic-platinum-review/

i'm not a fan boy of Palit, but Zotac even performs well.

NZXT Phantom : 7k
Corsair HX850 : 6.5k
Seasonic 850 : 6.2k
CM Silent Pro : 7k

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
2500k is needed for oc. you cant oc 2400. and 2500k is very good processor. worth it. in your budget. recommended.
asus is better then that msi p67. their UEFI is also better.
wait for revisions. let vickybat reply.
haf912 advanced is 230mm wide and why you need more weight?
2500k is justified at that price.

OP
lordirecto

lordirecto

In the zone
@dep5kor: I am having a APC ES 500 UPS with me. NZXT Phantom seems like a good option.
@Jas: I assume that heavier cabinets can contain vibrations better. And so I have a preference for heavier cabinets. My bad, I did not notice that you were suggesting the K version. I was in a hurry and took it as i5 2500. I accept your suggestion justifies it.

d3p

PowerHouse
Ok, Basic Funda of Electronics.

P=VI [where V= applied voltage, I = Current]

APC EC 500UPS is just a 300w & 500VA [output 500w]. so it means if you supply 230v then it draws 1.34 Amps of Current only for recharging the battery & takes certain amount of time to recharge it. This current calculations doesn't includes your PC load.

Now a 500VA or Watts is nothing but total equivalent power of load it can handle & the total time of backup depends upon the AH [Amps per Hour] timings of the battery.

Higher the amount of the AH in the battery the more the back up time.

Any car battery with a 36AH or more than that can able to give back up to your home appliances also & i have used the same with a Intex 600Va UPS & got back up of some 3 hours without any interruptions.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ Lorddirecto

I agree with jaskanwar's choice of processor. Its a k variant and has unlocked multiplier which lets you overclock. No point in adding noctual or cm v6 coolers on an i5 2400 as it cannot be overclocked at all and stock cooler will suffice. So i5 2500k all the way.

Asus boards are rock solid and again jaskanwar's suggestion is excellent. You can also look for p67 pro and sabertooth boards from asus but the current board is very good for the price.

Now for gpu i guess you have locked the gtx 570 and its truly a wonderful choice. But you are a bit confused on the board partners. Now all over india , prices of gtx 570 has reduced to 20k . At this budget, check MSI N570 GTX & ASUS GTX 570.

The latter has a good cooler and you can check its review here.

Choose your pick from the above. Now palit cards are also good and come with full 3 years warranty and thats not at all an issue. But 570 is already a good performer factory overclocked cards although good but are not that necessary as in the case of a gtx 560 which is a bit underclocked imo. So go for stock 570's from msi or asus and you are good to go. Zotac is also a very good board maker and its version of 570 is also good. Give priority to asus, then msi and finally zotac.

For ups, APC 1.1kva @ 4.5k should be enough for your requirements.

Yup NZXT phantom is 8.4k in prime abgb. It gets my thumbs for the design and sturdiness.

Now coming to psu, corsair HX850 is one hell of a psu and can handle a 570 sli very easily. And coming to warranty, it provides whooping 7 year warranty. But if that glacialtech provides at least 5 years of warranty, then go for it or else stick with corsair. AFAIK glacialtech gives only 2 years of warranty. So check the glacialtech model before making a purchase.

Last edited:

d3p

PowerHouse
@Lorddirecto: If you are from Bangalore then get the NZXT Phantom from Golcha IT or Computer Warehouse.

Next if you are intrested then can buy this 1yr old Gskill DDR3 RAM's from me.
Link : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/bazaar/136938-gskill-ripjaws-series-2x2gb-ddr3-1600mhz.html

OP
lordirecto

lordirecto

In the zone
@dep5kor: Could you please show me some link where such a setup is done? Because I do not have any experience in modding any of my electronic goods.
@Jas: I cant control my laughter, seems I have stressed you. Yes, I have decided to get the NZXT Phantom. And thank you for your valuable inputs.
@Vickybat: I think it is a mistake on my part that I have not posted my updated config, and so everyone thinks I have decided on 2400. I will add my updated config below.
I do see your point on Asus boards.
As for GPU, I do not feel 100% confident about the GTX 570. That is because I am not sure about the performance of nvidia. I do remember a lot of people were complaining about nvidia not delivering the expected product, and that was when I got disconnected from the Tech world. So I am a little unsure of the untested waters. I am considering Asus HD6950, as I can unlock it later. So I need to consider GTX 570 again before I decide.
Yes, I have decided on the NZXT Phatom Black edition.
As for PSU, thank you for the heads up. And I do not want an SLI configuration atm. Just one Graphic card will do for now.
@dep5kor: I am from Coimbatore, that makes it getting NZXT Phantom next to impossible from Bangalore. But I will get NZXT, as I have taken a liking to it
As for the RAM, I was considering Corsair as suggested by Jas.

Here is my updated config:

Asus P8P67 @ 10k
Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2*2GB @ 2.9k
ASUS HD6950 2GB @ ~20K [Undecided]
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 @ ~1.7k
Glacialtech GP AX 950 AA Modular @ 7.9k ( 950W )
NZXT Phantom Black Edition @ 8.4k
DELL Ultrasharp U2311H @ 13.7k
Keyboard?
LG 22x Sata DVD @ 0.9k
APC 1000VA @ 5k~

Total - 85k+keyboard

Note: I have not decided on the keyboard atm. I need the check out the Razer products in person before I can decide.

@dep5kor: Liquid cooling solutions do look great. I will surely consider that when I over clock. I want to go one step at a time.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Look 570 is a very good card. Its simple-
if u want good driver support for linux go ahead with 570 tension free.

But otherwise get a 6970 2GB @ 21k. Its even good.

That 6950 2GB u are saying is damn overpriced.

But currently there is nothing beating 6950 1GB vfmness at 15k. 570 and 6970 actually not worth at 21k consider price performance ratio of 6950 1GB. its sapphire at 15k and is a steal at that price.

But consider amd after u ans my linux ques.

abirthedevil

In the zone
i am dual booting linux with 5650 on my laptop using AMD drivers, their linux driver support has improved in the past few months but still must say its no where near nvidia's driver support

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ lordirecto

Nvidia never had any gpu problems before as far i know. Currently the gtx 580 and 570 are top performers. Read gtx 580 and 570 reviews and you'll know. 570 even has great physx , extreme tesselation and 3d capabilities in case you might require. And since you will be working on linux os , nvidia is miles ahead on driver support than amd.

Gtx 570 is a beast and its priced at 20k currently. Get it and you won't regret one bit. Another option is Gtx 560 in case you don't need much horsepower. Factory overclocked cards of gtx 560 are great performers and won't dissapoint you either. Check asus gtx 560 direct cu @ 15k-16k. Msi gtx 560 twin frozr II is another great option. Their performance is on par with a radeon 6950 1gb at same price point.

But give Gtx 570 the priority as its a terrific card.

Last edited:

d3p

PowerHouse
@lordirecto : Contact any electrician who do these home wirings or Contact any inverter resellers, they gonna help you on this.

BTW i'm a frequent traveller to K.G Campus, Sarvamanpatti. I work for Bosch.
Gskill is even a good RAM manufacturer. If you need performance then Corsair Dominator GT is better, but all the XMS & other RAMs are of same build standard.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
ASUS HD6950 2GB @ ~20K [Undecided]
I'll keep it simple.

15k = AMD HD 6950 1GB
20k = Prefer nVidia GTX 570 over AMD HD 6970 2GB

Catalyst in Linux works completely fine for most people with newer cards these days. But I'll prefer nVidia as far as Linux drivers are concerned.

OP
lordirecto

lordirecto

In the zone
I was reading a few reviews and demos of GTX 570, and I am impressed.
@Jas: Now I see that GTX 570 is more Linux friendly and so will help me better.
@abi: Hmmm so I am not able to install Linux properly on my laptop because of ATi? I have a HD 3450 mobile version GPU btw.
@Vickybat: Is Asus version of GTX 570 good? Where can I get the various prices of different manufacturers?
@dep5kor: Good idea, I will ask the local electicians here. Let me check the local dealers about RAM prices before I decide.
@ico: Nice, I agree.

I need to check on the keyboard and RAM before I can get to a dealer and place my order. So if I manage to proceed smoothly, I should be able to place my order by next week. Do any of you have any idea how many days it might take for me to get all the components? I will be placing my order with a local dealer.

Here is my finialised configuration.

Asus P8P67 @ 10k
Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2*2GB @ 2.9k
Asus/Zotac GTX570 @ 20k
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 @ ~1.7k
Glacialtech GP AX 950 AA Modular @ 7.9k
NZXT Phantom Black Edition @ 8.4k
DELL Ultrasharp U2311H @ 13.7k
LG 22x Sata DVD @ 0.9k
APC 1000VA @ 5k~