Best digital camera under 5-6k? Plz Suggest

icebags

Technomancer
@Sam.Shab
According to compareindia.com and jjmehta price, the best price should be ~6.4-6.7 for A3000 model. you should check some local shops if they sell at that price. However, A495 is a very good model (i have an A430 model) if you do daylight shooting and indoors with flash. The picture quality of these cameras of cannon can make sony or others at this range look dull and grainy. :razz: (sorry Cool Buddy, but i checked.)

Ans there are some Panasonic models ~6k :
FS4 -> Has no IS.
F2/F3 -> Has no IS either, but has some kind of anti blur software solution built in.

You should expect some anti-noise image processing with these cameras, that may make pics look a bit soft; But good enough for regular photo printing or orkuting.

Cannon A430 can make very sharp 1600x1200 sills, i expect these do the same too.

If u don't wanna the 4x use zoom much, u don't need IS in daylight/flash conditions.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
ok i now end up on 2 models: Canon A495 or A3000 IS. according to Canon India website the former one will cost ~6300 while the latter ~7000. now the thing is, the price is MRP. how much will be street price on both the models? appx values? i more leaned towards the A3000 IS. optical image stabilizer & Lithium ion battery will give better charge, if not at least keep the weight a bit low. last thing i'll check is their build quality.

icebags

Technomancer
I dont have any idea what the street price is, but expect it to be ~500 less than MRP.

A3000 is obviously better than A495, but Lithium battery is a drawback. The equipped battery is probably 740mAh @ 3.6V, which is much lower capacity than 3xNiMH of 2700mAh (3.6V). It totally depends on ur usage though, if u really need those much at one go, u may keep another battery of same or better capacity as backup.

Good luck. Post some images in photography thread when you get it. :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I dont have any idea what the street price is, but expect it to be ~500 less than MRP.

A3000 is obviously better than A495, but Lithium battery is a drawback. The equipped battery is probably 740mAh @ 3.6V, which is much lower capacity than 3xNiMH of 2700mAh (3.6V). It totally depends on ur usage though, if u really need those much at one go, u may keep another battery of same or better capacity as backup.

Good luck. Post some images in photography thread when you get it. :)

than its great. @ 6.5k, it'll be a great buy for me.

yes, if the price is low for Original Canon battery (which i doubt i'll find), will get a spare one. i think the default battery enough. purchase going to be on September. just i did the research 1 month early. will surely post some pics once i get it.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
A495 is a very good model (i have an A430 model) if you do daylight shooting and indoors with flash. The picture quality of these cameras of cannon can make sony or others at this range look dull and grainy. :razz: (sorry Cool Buddy, but i checked.)

What with my experience with canon powershot A460:sad:
I got it 3 years back, after reading digit's review which had given a best buy to Canon powershot A450, I thought if 450 was good, 460 has to be good. But turned out both cameras had slightly different lenses and there was too much noise in the pics taken from 460. I read some online reviews and found that digit had correctly given best buy to 450 as it was a very good camera, but 460 was not so. From that day, I don't trust canon for the budget buyer.

hari.vgl

Broken In
Yes..the a495 will be a great choice i think..me too doing research to buy a camera in the low price range, soon...

some things id like to tell...

a3000 is a great camera..but with lot of research ive foudn the great defect..it can record videos only for a max of 100 seconds continuously..this might be or might not be a problem for people depending on their use..

then..for checking the price and also buying cameras ..there is no site better than eBay India - Online Shopping Mall: Free Auctions, Shop/Buy/Sell Mobiles, Cameras, Apparel, Computers, Bollywood Clothes & Indian Products ...check all the prices there..they are the cheapest..

and..other good cameras are a3100 and ixus 95.. but some sites claim a495 to have better picture quality than a3100is...also it is Rs.2000 more than a495...another camera is ixus 95..it is a wonderful camera...but costs in at 9k with 4gb card...

and with a495...the aa batteries can make flash recharge times a bit long..but high power NiMH batteries should improve their perfomance..

and the prices:: when buying fro mebay you have to check a few listings of the same product so that you can get the cheapest price including shipping..(different sellers have different prices)..

the cheapest i found were::

a495 + 4gb card + pouch -- 5700
a3000+ 4gb card + pouch -- 6495
a3100+ 4gb card + pouch -- 6999
ixus 95+ 2gb card+ pouch -- 8600
(you can request the seller for 4gb card for around rs.200 extra)

acewin

Point Blanc
@sam and rishabh, check the package options available as hari pointed out, all these compact model seems same to me, good light gives good results in photo.
and it does not necessarily means than more pixel means better photos taken. Many a time I feel like these pixels are like gimmicks LOL.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
difference between 10MP & 12MP is almost negligible. just manufacturers add more features to high MP cams.

just read, to get difference in quality, one will require double the current MP. but this don't apply to low MP camera (spell mobile camera or the cheap 2-3k HomeShop 18 cameras).

BTW, do these 4Gb cards come bundle with the retail pack? or its given as a addon with these cameras exclusively on Ebay?

BTW, how much does descent pair of NiMH battery cost? if i choose the Canon A495, an extra pair will give me some headroom.

hari.vgl

Broken In
Here is a golden chance for you...buy a495 from EBAY..you can get the a495+4gb card+nimh batteries+charger and choose the colour of the camera ...all for Rs.4850!!....and if you have any voucher...get further off!!.... buy from seller jjmehta..

Top Bottom