Not open for further replies.

HydraHeaded

Broken In
I am running XP SP2, with

BitDefender security v 10

Zone Alarm firewall

Spyware Doctor

Spybot

Some time back I even tried DefenseWall HIPS.

But still, last week, the Trojan.Vundo got into my compu... :(

src2206

In the zone

Zone Alarm firewall

Spyware Doctor

Spybot

1. How did you detect this Vundo's presence?

2. Does not your BD security suite already have an integrated Firewall?

ajayritik

Technomancer
Which is the best Antivirus which is free?
There are many options like AVG, Avast, Avir etc. But among them which is the best.
Kaspersky, NOD32, Bit Defender are all good but they are paid software. So please suggest the best free antivirus.
I had used AVG but not fully satisfied with it

HydraHeaded

Broken In
1. How did you detect this Vundo's presence?

2. Does not your BD security suite already have an integrated Firewall?

I detected Vundo's presence because the Internet Explorer would start automatically (even though I use Firefox), and ZoneAlarm was giving messages of blocking the site 89.188.16.50, and I posted on the net forums, and people told me that it was the Vundo virus, so I finally downloaded a patch and got rid of it. As for the Bitdefender thing, yes, I think it does have a firewall, but to tell the truth, with newer and newer viruses coming up, nothing can be really effective. A word of advice though: I hardly ever update, maybe once in two months or so; now, after I got this virus, and I updated Bitdefender, it immediately said that it had found the Trojan.Vundo, so maybe if I had updated earlier, it would not have entered my PC. And yes, there is still a problem in my PC: every time I start it, the found new hardware dialog comes up, though I haven't added anything.

My suggestion is that you try DefenseWall HIPS, it is believed to be the next thing in protection. There are other such softwares as well; there's something called Sandbox, though I don't have much knowledge about all that.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which is the best Antivirus which is free?
There are many options like AVG, Avast, Avir etc. But among them which is the best.
Kaspersky, NOD32, Bit Defender are all good but they are paid software. So please suggest the best free antivirus.
I had used AVG but not fully satisfied with it

AVG sucks...big time

Avast (www.avast.com) and AntiVir Personal (www.avira.com) are both good.....

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Kaspersky one month trial activated is really gud. Actually its able to disinfect every files which Avast was just able to detect as virus nd just asked for deletion.

Kaspersky disinfected each nd every files including exe, vbs etc. And they release updats every 2~3 days and also update sizes are small.
Just try it for one month.

Usually one month is enuf for me coz i might be reinstalling windows each nd every 20~25 days. So what cud be ore better than a fully functional and liscenced AV like kas (even if for one month) ?

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have no doubt about accepting that Kaspersky is one of the best, infact the best. But do you think it's a good idea to reinstall windows every month? I'm not sure!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Kaspersky one month trial activated is really gud. Actually its able to disinfect every files which Avast was just able to detect as virus nd just asked for deletion.

Kaspersky disinfected each nd every files including exe, vbs etc. And they release updats every 2~3 days and also update sizes are small.
Just try it for one month.

Usually one month is enuf for me coz i might be reinstalling windows each nd every 20~25 days. So what cud be ore better than a fully functional and liscenced AV like kas (even if for one month) ?
some fren of mine are doing the same :smile:

but am fed up of reinstall, got linux as main os and xp for some minor work wint antivir+comodo combo

Zone Alarm firewall
Spyware Doctor
Spybot

And so everyone should realize how useless it is to run too many security application - for each may be conflicting the other - cant imagine you have 2 firewall programs + two spyware programs - how ever its a personal opinion - i prefer a well rounded security suite instead of a combination of standalones.

NO harm is keeping a few backup programs - ive found Trend micro internet security suite pro and i am happy with it

pritamonline

Broken In
Kaspersky : Best detection, Best Firewall, Fast Performance , Best Virus Knowledge , Best Protection

ESET NOD32 : Best Performance , Fast Scanning , Fast Update ,Good Virus Knowledge

Softwin : Good Options, Fast Detection

Symantec Norton : Nice Detection , Fast Update

Avast : Good Virus Knowledge, Fast Detection, Fast Update

AVG : Good Firewall , Good Virus Knowledge

Panda : Best Virus Knowledge

McAfee : Good Protection

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@pritamonline
good work dude. U cud also have a successful file disinfection ratio or points too.
And also specify if its free, or trial. Also number of free trial days.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
lol...no one thinks about underrated :rolleyes: people like to burn a hole in their pocket :D
Just to clear some doubts and orthodox beliefs :

Best Firewall: Comodo 3
Best Antivirus: can't say for sure, but i got one thats free and zaps better than paid ones

ashiksn1

Broken In
Guys,
none of you mentioned eset smart security.Been using it for one week.Its got the same nod32 protection,along with firewall and antispam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom