Status
Not open for further replies.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Avira Antivir Personal edition + Comodo 3 pro firewall(acts as antirootkit, antispyware and antimalware)
Total Cost = 0

No need to be extra paranoid

src2206

In the zone
Free: Avast! Home Edition

Paid: NOD32

Firewall: Comodo <-- Its free and far better than any other paid versions available.

I have never used Antivir, can T159 please tell me whether it provides separate Anti Spyware module to protect against spywares and what is the resource used by it while running at background?

Ok I found the answer to my question:

Avira Free does not protect against Spywares. Important: Avira Free does not provide POP3 email protection which Avast Free does.

*img46.imageshack.us/img46/7249/aviraantivirwd0.th.png

I found that Avast! Free and Avast! Professional provides same protection modules (almost). So think the thread starter should go for Avast! if opting for Free one. And it uses rather less system resources. :)

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
src2206 said:
Free: Avast! Home Edition

Paid: NOD32

Firewall: Comodo <-- Its free and far better than any other paid versions available.

I have never used Antivir, can T159 please tell me whether it provides separate Anti Spyware module to protect against spywares and what is the resource used by it while running at background?

Ok I found the answer to my question:

Avira Free does not protect against Spywares. Important: Avira Free does not provide POP3 email protection which Avast Free does.

*img46.imageshack.us/img46/7249/aviraantivirwd0.th.png

I found that Avast! Free and Avast! Professional provides same protection modules (almost). So think the thread starter should go for Avast! if opting for Free one. And it uses rather less system resources. :)
yeah it doesnt provide antispyware/pop3 thingy
but its an ace at virus detection, even Kaspersky and Nod32 fails in front of it.

Btw Comodo pro 3 firewall makes up for all types of wares (except spywares).

And memory footprint is light for avira antivir.

src2206

In the zone
T159 said:
yeah it doesnt provide antispyware/pop3 thingy
but its an ace at virus detection, even Kaspersky and Nod32 fails in front of it.

Btw Comodo pro 3 firewall makes up for all types of wares (except spywares).

And memory footprint is light for avira antivir.

Wrong my friend

NOD32 beats Avira and other AVs hands down:

Check out the followinfg links:

*www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_11.php
*www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_08.php

Sorry, I can not put the result here as that is not allowed.

In case you missed, AV-comparitive is considered as most authoritative AV comparision serive provider and it is highly respected amongst the professional security analysts.
:)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
src2206 said:
Wrong my friend

NOD32 beats Avira and other AVs hands down:

Check out the followinfg links:

*www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_11.php
*www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_08.php

Sorry, I can not put the result here as that is not allowed.

In case you missed, AV-comparitive is considered as most authoritative AV comparision serive provider and it is highly respected amongst the professional security analysts.
:)
see there are two types of tests:
On demand and Retrospective/proactive test

August 2007 was on demand and Antivir is at best.
Nov 2007 Retrospective/Proactive test Highest detection rate was of Antivir 81%, though no of false positives set it back to standard (just try to see ProActive detection of "NEW" samples** for Nod32 71% and Kaspersky).

Though its from my own experience (I hav tried Avast, Nod32 ,Kaspersky and other antiviruses) that German standards are far better than others.

Whats the point if paid Antiviruses are just a bit here and there better than Free ones, why should one waste his money.

src2206

In the zone
I do not disagree with you that if a Free one can do your job then why should one waste any money. And thats why I prefer Avast! as it provides a more comprehensive and complete protection than Avira Free.

T159 said:
Though its from my own experience (I hav tried Avast, Nod32 ,Kaspersky and other antiviruses) that German standards are far better than other
I would have accepted this had it been a car but a AV. Otherwise, I do not subscribe to this type of beliefs which can not be analytically supported. Please do not misunderstand me, there is nothing personal against you in my above comment. I just prefer not to remain biased against or in favour of any idea. :)

As far as performance goes, I hope that you would agree that there is hardly any difference between the top rated AVs like Avira, Kaspersky or NOD32. But where NOD32 scores above others is that it uses least system resources in comparison with any other AVs.

Furthermore, IMHO, Retrospective / ProActive Test is more important to judge the performance. Please look at the number of false positives by Avira, it is "many" where as for NOD32 it is "none". Now when an AV flags so many false positives then the chances of catching increases substantially, but that is not a desireable way to perform. As in catching wrong doers, safe one also get lebelled. ;)

Last edited:
I use the following for the best security:

1. Ubuntu Linux 7.04

updated as soon as updates are released(weekly)
Use Clam AV
Don't Use Root User
Don't Install Packages from Un Trusted Sources
Don't eXperiment with Commands.
Don't run random shell scripts

2. Mozilla Firefox

Ad Block Plus
Block Pop Ups
Open New windows in tabs
Flash Block
No Script
Google Toolbar

3. Security

make comp invsible in network
max security settings
disallow root privilages for my sister, father.
scan files with Clam AV

4. EMail

open mails only via GMail in Firefox and scan attachments.
Don't Give mail IDs everywere.

this gives me absolutely no security threats like viruses.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
src2206 said:
I do not disagree with you that if a Free one can do your job then why should one waste any money. And thats why I prefer Avast! as it provides a more comprehensive and complete protection than Avira Free.

I would have accepted this had it been a car but a AV. Otherwise, I do not subscribe to this type of beliefs which can not be analytically supported. Please do not misunderstand me, there is nothing personal against you in my above comment. I just prefer not to remain biased against or in favour of any idea. :)

As far as performance goes, I hope that you would agree that there is hardly any difference between the top rated AVs like Avira, Kaspersky or NOD32. But where NOD32 scores above others is that it uses least system resources in comparison with any other AVs.

Furthermore, IMHO, Retrospective / ProActive Test is more important to judge the performance. Please look at the number of false positives by Avira, it is "many" where as for NOD32 it is "none". Now when an AV flags so many false positives then the chances of catching increases substantially, but that is not a desireable way to perform. As in catching wrong doers, safe one also get lebelled. ;)
Yeah Nod32, Kaspersky , Avira and Avast are the best of breed in paid and free segment.

But all of them failed in certain instances, so better be little careful abt all kind of harmful wares.
Comodo 3 is pretty much enuf to prevent any kind of undesirable changes in system (but its a little geeky with its hips module).
Best bet would be
Any of the 4 above mentioned antiviruses (if u r a home user then free ones are for u) + a good firewall (Comodo 3, its free and probably the best)

Though normally u wont need antispyware/antimalware/antirootkit if u r using defense net+ in Comodo 3 Pro. Though if u still feel paranoidthen better get one.

But remember these all softwares will affect the speed of ur system.

MetalheadGautham said:
I use the following for the best security:

1. Ubuntu Linux 7.04

updated as soon as updates are released(weekly)
Use Clam AV
Don't Use Root User
Don't Install Packages from Un Trusted Sources
Don't eXperiment with Commands.
Don't run random shell scripts

2. Mozilla Firefox

Ad Block Plus
Block Pop Ups
Open New windows in tabs
Flash Block
No Script
Google Toolbar

3. Security

make comp invsible in network
max security settings
disallow root privilages for my sister, father.
scan files with Clam AV

4. EMail

open mails only via GMail in Firefox and scan attachments.
Don't Give mail IDs everywere.

this gives me absolutely no security threats like viruses.
yeah thats the ideal solution for linux.

but u can still live without clamwin.

Last edited:

src2206

In the zone
Yup, Comodo 3 is great and the best, though a little buggy still. I have installed the non public latest beta to see if the bugs in the public version is resolved.

Regarding Antispyware, I would strongly recommend using Spybot Search and Destroy with TeaTimer enabled and scanning the PC with AdWare SE at least once in a month.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
src2206 said:
Yup, Comodo 3 is great and the best, though a little buggy still. I have installed the non public latest beta to see if the bugs in the public version is resolved.

Regarding Antispyware, I would strongly recommend using Spybot Search and Destroy with TeaTimer enabled and scanning the PC with AdWare SE at least once in a month.
yeah its buggy on some systems, but the dev team is actively releasing updates to counter that.

Its good to see when developers work with community voice.

T159 said:
Yeah Nod32, Kaspersky , Avira and Avast are the best of breed in paid and free segment.

But all of them failed in certain instances, so better be little careful abt all kind of harmful wares.
Comodo 3 is pretty much enuf to prevent any kind of undesirable changes in system (but its a little geeky with its hips module).
Best bet would be
Any of the 4 above mentioned antiviruses (if u r a home user then free ones are for u) + a good firewall (Comodo 3, its free and probably the best)

Though normally u wont need antispyware/antimalware/antirootkit if u r using defense net+ in Comodo 3 Pro. Though if u still feel paranoidthen better get one.

But remember these all softwares will affect the speed of ur system.

yeah thats the ideal solution for linux.

but u can still live without clamwin.
clamwin is for windows, not linux. and I did not install it properly, just posted it to make me look good:oops:

src2206

In the zone
I agree T159
Comodo is really a community driven but a professional and commercial software vendor. You can even find the CEO (melih) to be a regular poster in the forum. :)

Clamwin earlier never had a Real Time Scanner included. Does the latest versions have it? Otherwise it is useless.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
MetalheadGautham said:
clamwin is for windows, not linux. and I did not install it properly, just posted it to make me look good:oops:
does clamwin hav realtime scanner (always on) or we hav to manually scan files/folders ?

I guess later is true abt Clamwin but the former isnt.

src2206 said:
I agree T159
Comodo is really a community driven but a professional and commercial software vendor. You can even find the CEO (melih) to be a regular poster in the forum. :)

Clamwin earlier never had a Real Time Scanner included. Does the latest versions have it? Otherwise it is useless.
clam win does not and never will have a real time scanner because the real time scanner API is copyrighted by M$ and they give it away for free, but under a licence like WMP/IE, therefore it can't be included in an OSS software. WinPooch is an alternative to be used in conjunction with ClamWin for RTS, but it sucks a bit.

And the reason Clam-Av is successful is because due its being OSS, many work on it at a time, so that ppl can work fast enough to outrace Virus Makers to protect systems. This is where OSS's biggest advantage is hilighted.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
MetalheadGautham said:
clam win does not and never will have a real time scanner because the real time scanner API is copyrighted by M$ and they give it away for free, but under a licence like WMP/IE, therefore it can't be included in an OSS software. WinPooch is an alternative to be used in conjunction with ClamWin for RTS, but it sucks a bit.

And the reason Clam-Av is successful is because due its being OSS, many work on it at a time, so that ppl can work fast enough to outrace Virus Makers to protect systems. This is where OSS's biggest advantage is hilighted.
yeah but for that user shouldnt be burdened.
Let the user hav a real time scanner and use clamwin as manual scanner if he likes.
And for all other things blame the stosh:D

src2206

In the zone
MetalheadGautham said:

Thanks for the info...did not know that.

But there are viruses which are very nasty like Vundo, which once in the system simply wrecks it and you can not use a standard virus scanner to clean your PC. If a virus scanner has a real time scanner included, generally the seed is stopped before getting planted in the system. So Clamwin is really weak on that point and unless a M$ alternative does not come out, I do not think that it is judicious to use it in a Windows system.

Let the user hav a real time scanner and use clamwin as manual scanner if he likes.

Well it is also not a very good idea. Having teo AVs on your system is never advisible as AVs tend to conflict. Avast! won't even install if there is any other AV present in a system. Basically virus signature databases are exclusive to the virus scanner. And one Virus Scanner tends to pick up signatures of other AV as virus, thus creating instability and other issues.

src2206

In the zone
magneticme200 said:
a big thnks to evrybdy who evr participated in the discussion...
ive made my mind based on popular choices..

manan
And what your choices are? If we may know, that is...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom