Before They Spoiled the Software - 13 app we liked better before they were "improved"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: Before They Spoiled the Software - 13 app we liked better before they were "impro

goobimama said:
While the fact of evolution can't be avoided, the difference in performance of Foxit reader vs Adobe Acrobat reader is astonishing (at least on a 3Ghz CPU).

Just out of curiosity, how much time does it takes to load adobe reader there? Here it takes me 1 seconds to load the blank application.

goobimama

 Macboy
Not sure about load times, didn't test it (but then again, on Vista everything's slow). But I find scrolling a document very choppy for one.

But I'll check up on the plugins though and remove half of them. Surprisingly, Adobe Acrobat, not the reader, works amazingly fast on the Mac. I've not tried reader on the mac, but it seems just as fast as preview.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: Before They Spoiled the Software - 13 app we liked better before they were "impro

goobimama said:
Not sure about load times, didn't test it (but then again, on Vista everything's slow). But I find scrolling a document very choppy for one.

Which graphics card u have? GeForce 7900 right? Did u enable hardware acceleration in Adobe reader under vista?

Last I found, scrolling a High res 3Ds Max bible 9 PDF is choppy even under Mac OS X' s Preview. So this cannot be blamed on the Adobe reader.

But I'll check up on the plugins though and remove half of them. Surprisingly, Adobe Acrobat, not the reader, works amazingly fast on the Mac. I've not tried reader on the mac, but it seems just as fast as preview.

U only require these plugins on Windows to run it...to bad u cannot slim Adobe reader on Mac, its a 108 MB app

*img388.imageshack.us/img388/8303/91958308pq5.jpg

axxo

99.9% Idle
vista behaves different on different hardware.....amd 3000+,2GB ddr,6600gt gave me sluggish performance against my new amd x2 5000, 1gb ddr2 , ati690g onboard....i dono why..

goobimama

 Macboy
Of course you can slim programs on a Mac. Just right click any .app, and show Package contents...

And of course, Xslimmer which you yourself recommended...

And as for winamp, anyone noticed it takes ages to start? It was a really light application meant for lightning fast music playing, but that's all gone now. I much too much prefer foobar2000's speed and playback quality..

Holy Mother of Porcupines and fiddle sticks! The default installation of Nero takes in 2GB of disk space! 2GB! And even if I disable all the other components and leave only the burning ROM and Nero Express, it still packs in 1.1GB. That's a lot of space for a burning app!

[Any recommendations for a good light burning app?]

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
Of course you can slim programs on a Mac. Just right click any .app, and show Package contents...

U can't do this with adobe reader. Try it.

And as for winamp, anyone noticed it takes ages to start? It was a really light application meant for lightning fast music playing, but that's all gone now.

Did u try Winamp Lite
Holy Mother of Porcupines and fiddle sticks! The default installation of Nero takes in 2GB of disk space! 2GB! And even if I disable all the other components and leave only the burning ROM and Nero Express, it still packs in 1.1GB. That's a lot of space for a burning app!

What the...nero 8 was 120 MB only here, only the burning ROM. Try InfraRecorder if u find nero big

goobimama

 Macboy
Okay there might be a glitch over there. I don't know what's happening, but whenever select "don't install this component" the space requirement goes into negative. So the minimal installation of Nero 8 with just Nero Burning ROM is going to use up -1980MB. I'm gonna save space if I use Nero :)

And as for slimming Adobe Reader, I don't have it on the mac, so I can't say for sure...

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
As the saying goes "Don't judge a guy by his signature":D .Vista is a pretty nice OS.Atleast hat's what I have come to believe from the little I have used it.

Softwares worth being in that list:
1)Nero.
2)Norton.
3)iTunes.

I see that many have mentioned Winamp here.When did they screw up with it??

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
Okay there might be a glitch over there. I don't know what's happening, but whenever select "don't install this component" the space requirement goes into negative. So the minimal installation of Nero 8 with just Nero Burning ROM is going to use up -1980MB. I'm gonna save space if I use Nero
Why r u installing Nero 8 if u find it so big? Isn't Nero 7 burning DVDs for u fine & properly? I am still using nero 7.7.5 lite on Vista cos that does everything I need it to do.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Nero is bloated for sure. Since I still use XP, I'm happy with bundled Nero 6. I never installed Nero 7. Never gonna touch Nero 8. Sadly, there are no free alternatives to Nero for Vista which provide all the essential features and performance.

Secondly, winamp lite is nothing but winamp full. There is a difference in bundling, thats it. Internally its the same.

Milind, even I face the problem of eternal loading times. Try using the Classic Skin. It loads much faster this way for me.

Did anyone forget to add McAfee Security Products? They used to be good till version 8.0 but NA completely screwed it from then onwards.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
i think ZONE ALARM should fall here ..

when all other softwares were modifying the UI .. they went against it and made a nasty interface,,,

i liked the old one than the new one ..

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

infra_red_dude said:
Nero is bloated for sure. Since I still use XP, I'm happy with bundled Nero 6. I never installed Nero 7. Never gonna touch Nero 8.

If u buy nero, there there is no better bundle then nero. I do agree that nero is a thick software requiring lots of hard disk space

Secondly, winamp lite is nothing but winamp full. There is a difference in bundling, thats it. Internally its the same.

Nope, Winamp Lite uses winamp classic skin, less memory usage & faster startup.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

gx_saurav said:
If u buy nero, there there is no better bundle then nero. I do agree that nero is a thick software requiring lots of hard disk space
Yeah thats for sure. But ahead themselves must release a burner only version too.

gx_saurav said:
Nope, Winamp Lite uses winamp classic skin, less memory usage & faster startup.
What I meant was that with some settings the Full version can be made Lite version. Its not that the Lite version is a completely different software. Just some features and modern/new skin haf been removed (which can be disabled in the full version too).

Btw, tested the new 5.5 version. I must say even with the new UI, the loading time is faster than the previous versions with the modern skin.

apoorva84

In the zone

wmp11 rocks...it should not be in this list.....but you can definitely include vista...

NucleusKore

TheSaint

Nero should have made it to that list, Nero 7 sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom