Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidkarode

Broken In
Hi,
i am going to buy a new pc in place of my old one. I have zeroed on almost all the components. But i require some help as to which keyboard to buy. The current logitech one that i have has got an odd problem. When i am playing any game, say fifa 07, then when im pressing a combination of "the left and up" arrow keys (for approaching towards the goal), and now if a press the "D" or "S" or any other button to pass or hit a goal, nothing happens. Its only when i release one of the arrow keys that it functions. This same thing does not happen when im pressing any other arrow key combination. Although i have managed to live thru this keyboard now for almost 4 years, i do not want my next keyboard to have any such problem. So wud appreciate suggestions for a new keyboard (wired/wireless). But within Rs. 2000.
The config that i have thought of is as follows:
Intel Core2Duo E8400 (3 Ghz)
Abit IP35E Motherboard
Zotac 9800 GTX AMP Edition Graphics card
Kingston/Transcend DDR2 Ram 2 x 2 GB @ 800 Mhz
500 GB Seagate HDD
Coolermaster CM690 cabinet
Corsair HX520 PSU
Logitech MX-518 mouse
Dell 22-inch monitor (Optional)

I already have 3 optical drives bought at various points of time, out of which the latest one (which is just 6 months old) i want to put in the new system.

The rough estimate of this configuration is about Rs. 50000, including the monitor.

Pls suggest a good and comfortable keyboard (not the gaming keyboards which cost more than 3-4 thousand, as my desk does not have place to keep a big keyboard).

Also comment on the overall pc config.

Thnx,
Awating reply.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good choice of components.

For mobo get MSI p45 Neo F instead.

For GFX Card get MSI HD4870 512MB DDR5.

For keyboard - Logitech Ex 100 Cordless Keyboard + Mouse Set. It should cost you Rs. 1500 or so.

sidkarode

Broken In
i have checked the MSI P45 Neo-F on their website. But after going thru it, i have got a few doubts. It has got only 4 rear USB ports, but the "chipset" section on the overview page says that "Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0) controller, 480Mb/sec, up to 12 ports."
Exactly hw many USB ports does it have. I require atleast 6 USB ports, with a minimum of 2 USB 2.0 ports on the front. Kindly throw some light.

supercow

The New ASSASIN!
Good...except the GPU.Go for Palit ATi 4850 or 4870.For Abit IP35-E get BIOS updated from the dealer himself then only it will support C2D E8400(for model SLB9J only. for other model no need to update).HDD SEAGATE FIRMWARE also to be updated,if it is jan batch.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Intel Core2Duo E8400 (3 Ghz)
Abit IP35E Motherboard
Zotac 9800 GTX AMP Edition Graphics card
Kingston/Transcend DDR2 Ram 2 x 2 GB @ 800 Mhz
500 GB Seagate HDD
Coolermaster CM690 cabinet
Corsair HX520 PSU
Logitech MX-518 mouse
Dell 22-inch monitor (Optional)

Below were some suggestions by me for you dude..

1. Buy MSI P45 Neo F instead of ABIT IP35E
2. Buy Palit HD4870 512MB instead of 9800GTX Amp Edition
3. Buy WD 640GB AAKS instead of Seagate 500GB for only few bucks more, and you are worry free from firmware issues of Seagate Drives.:))
4. Get Corsair VX450W or CM EP600W instead of Corsair HX520 PSU
5. Get a Logitech G5 Keyboard + Mouse

sidkarode

Broken In
Actually, my budget for Graphics card is around Rs. 10000. So in that range, is the Zotac 9800 GTX AMP Edition good?
My games of interest are basically racing and sports. I do not play FPS games (except Counterstrike!!). Will I be able to play games like NFS Undercover at medium detail on a 22-inch monitor? Or will the Zotac card become obsolete in another year, and is that the reason why I should go in for Palit HD4870 512 MB?
If the Zotac card is gonna get obsolete in next 1 year, then I may think of going in for the Palit HD4870.
Also, why is Corsair VX450W being suggested in place of HX520?
And my query about MSI P-45 Neo F motherboard regarding USB ports is still unsolved (pls check a couple of post above, where i have posted the query).
Can someone suggest?

tkin

Back to school!!
Actually, my budget for Graphics card is around Rs. 10000. So in that range, is the Zotac 9800 GTX AMP Edition good?
My games of interest are basically racing and sports. I do not play FPS games (except Counterstrike!!). Will I be able to play games like NFS Undercover at medium detail on a 22-inch monitor? Or will the Zotac card become obsolete in another year, and is that the reason why I should go in for Palit HD4870 512 MB?
If the Zotac card is gonna get obsolete in next 1 year, then I may think of going in for the Palit HD4870.
Also, why is Corsair VX450W being suggested in place of HX520?
And my query about MSI P-45 Neo F motherboard regarding USB ports is still unsolved (pls check a couple of post above, where i have posted the query).
Can someone suggest?
Wait for nVidia GTS 250(512MB/1GB/2GB) to hit Indian market(by last week of march).
Its actually the nVidia 9800GTX+ with a huge qty of VRAM, its short in length and needs only one power connector i.e its power efficient.
Best part is that it will be cheap like hell, 2GB model from palit costs 169$(~9k), and it will be the best VFM card ever, the 1GB model will cost 149$(~7.5k) and the 512MB will cost 130$(6.5k).

HX520 is not available in India, but since the GPU is efficient VX450w will do fine.

i have checked the MSI P45 Neo-F on their website. But after going thru it, i have got a few doubts. It has got only 4 rear USB ports, but the "chipset" section on the overview page says that "Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0) controller, 480Mb/sec, up to 12 ports."
Exactly hw many USB ports does it have. I require atleast 6 USB ports, with a minimum of 2 USB 2.0 ports on the front. Kindly throw some light.
This means the mobo can provide 12USB ports max, if it has 4 back ports that means it has 8 internal headers that can be connected to front panel USB ports, you must have noticed that many computers(almost all these days) have usb ports in front or side of the cabinet, these ports connect to the internal USB headers.

eg - my p5q has 6 back usb ports, so there are 6 internal headers(max 12 ports) that will support 6 USB ports(I have 4 on the front panel).

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

That mobo has 4 rear usb ports & another 4 internal usb headers on board ( as tknin already told you about those internal usb connectors ) which supprts 8 usb ports. 4 Front & 4 Rear maybe.

As you want front usb you need to buy a cabby which has front usb ports.
Connect the cabinets front usb cables ( you will get them inside the cabby )
on the mobos usb header & you will be good to go.

shayan_siddiqui786

Right off the assembly line
Yaar... even i have a doubt in mind.... I m planning to buy a new lcd monitor... Budget is nearly 8K.. So should i buy Dell 1909W or Samsung 2033SW. I think samsung has more contrast and colours plus its 20"... And one more thing... should i consider buying 22" b'cz i hv a Palit HD4850 which i dont think will support games on such a big monitor.... Any other suggestions also welcomed... Thnx....

sidkarode

Broken In
Thnx everyone for all the help and suggestions. But now, i am having second thoughts about the motherboard. I was thinking of Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R motherboard. This has 8 back USB ports. Also it supports DDR2 as well as DDR3 memory. So, since i was going to have the new pc for atleast next 4 years, this appears to be a good option. But after looking at the image of the back of the motherboard given on their webpage (*www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2953), i dont find the Serial and Parallel ports. So how to connect the CRT monitor to the board?

@sidkarode: as the name suggest, its a P45 chipset board, and all the P series chipset boards from intel ( P31 P35 P45 etc) dnt have onboard Graphics. So u have to buy a seperate Graphic card and plug it in the PCI-Express slot to connect ur monitor.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ sidkarode - Yeah, You need to buy a gfx card to use with that mobo as harryneopotter suggested.

If you want that mobo it's really better than MSI mobo. So get it.

sidkarode

Broken In
Thnx for the info. So if i get a Zotac 9800 GTX+AMP Edition card or a Nvidia GTS 250 (which may be releasing shortly), which would be costing around 10k, will i be able to play the latest games at medium resolution and detail on a Samsung 2233SW 22-inch monitor (which, btw im gonna buy instead of dell, as dell is quoting a huge premium for their 22-inch lcd)?

acewin

Point Blanc
yes you can play very easily on medium resolution with good response.
for keyboard Microsoft 2000 curve in 900 bucks with you already decided MX518 mouse is good.

what amount you are willing to give for motherboard.
Check Biostar TPower I45 will cost around 7K and is very good mobo, has 6USB port + 3 headers i.e so that you can connect 3 front USB.

mkumar

Broken In
Guide m 2 Purchase a New System

Dear all
I need a config 2 buy a PC
D syst. i`ll b using 4 Adobe CS4 design premium suite, 3dMax, Mud box & Video editing S/W with OS either Vista OR Win64bit,
I want 2 try AMD since i`ve been trained on Intel (It has b come like Bajaj scooter ;-)). I heard lot about AMD.
My budjet is around 20k, as i have K brd./Mouse & Samsung 17`` montr.(I`ll b upgrading later)
Want opinions reg. d TFT or LCD montr. n i dont want wide montr. as it shows EGG when i draw a circle
Thaks in advance;)

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Thnx for the info. So if i get a Zotac 9800 GTX+AMP Edition card or a Nvidia GTS 250 (which may be releasing shortly), which would be costing around 10k, will i be able to play the latest games at medium resolution and detail on a Samsung 2233SW 22-inch monitor (which, btw im gonna buy instead of dell, as dell is quoting a huge premium for their 22-inch lcd)?

It's already there, click the link below, there are four GTS 250 listed on the page.

BTW, I recommend a HD4850 over GTS 250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom