Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
this is just the beginning part. graphics card, PSU, monitor, cabby, HDD left. i'll finish up the cabby part as well as hard drive. monitor & graphics card, strictly not my area. lets finish up everything & than ICO can port & combine these drafts to the first page.

AFAIK, AMD chipset don't support SLI. to bring SLI will require NF100 or NF200 or whatever the name of the chip is. or maybe Lucid Hydra will do but natively, AMD chipsets won't. maybe the now discontinued SLI ready chipsets from Nvidia for AMD platform support SLI.

its NF 980a SLI , 780a SLI and more..

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
got these from Newegg
750a sli
*www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList...7 600008306&IsNodeId=1&name=NVIDIA nForce 700
980a sli
*www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList...7 600008309&IsNodeId=1&name=NVIDIA nForce 900
Techshop
980a sli
*techshop.in/store/index.php?cPath=320_21_31

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
sam what about separating intel and amd like this -

Processor:

AMD -

AMD Sempron 140 Processor ( 1.7k ) - a single core processor which can unlock to an x2 but it depends on your luck. it is very very cheap but not worth the upgrade as athlon II x2 comes very close which is a dual core. but someone building a downloading rig at ultra low budget can think of going for it.

AMD Athlon II X2 ( 2.7k - 3k ) - these are dual core options from amd which are great for office work and other basic tasks. their prices are a major plus point.

AMD Athlon II X3 ( 3.5k - 4.5k ) - these are the minimum you should go for in these days. they provide a great price-performance ratio. they are great for gaming at low budget as they have got both clock speed and 3 cores which most games demand. condider this if on a budget of less than 4k for processor only. these can unlock to an x4.

AMD Athlon II X4 ( 4.5k - 5k) - great all rounders at the price they come at. if you want performance in multithreaded apps, this is the minimum you need.

AMD Phenom II X2 ( 4.5 - 5.5k ) - these are good for gaming only. they have got 6mb l3 cache which athlons dont have but these are not worth upgrade. the athlon II x4 is similarly priced and offers 2 extra cores which is more nice than 6mb l3 cache. these can unlock to an x4 though but better saty away form unlkocking as it can raise the temperatures.

AMD Phenom II X4 ( 7k - 9k ) - these are powerful and vfm. they are great at gaming as well as multithreading as the have very high clock speed and 4 cores.

AMD Phenom II X6 ( 10k - 14k ) - these are the ones that will help you in rendering, animation and more. but these are not meant for gaming due to low clock speed and too many cores. consider them for gaming if you are into ocing.

INTEL -

Core i3 ( 5k -6k ) - consider this if you are an intel fanboy only. these are good for gaming as has been the case with phenom II x2 and can be overclocked like hell. but they are not good in mutlithreading as these are dual cores with HT and HT is not superior than 2 full extra cores athlon II x4 offers. instead athlon II x4 is the way to go as the difference in gaming is only 6-7 fps. they have also got crap intel graphics.

Core i5 6** ( 10k above ) - SERIOUS WASTE. at that high price you get only a fast dual core in them with super crap intel graphics.

Core i5 750/760 (9k - 10k) - a great offering from intel. have got 4 cores and speed too. no other processor can beat it in gaming at that price point. great performance.

Core i7 8** series ( 13k and above ) - these belong to monster core i7 series. they are 4 cores with HT. the advantage they have over i7 9** series is that they can be used with a 5k board while i7 9** need costly motherbards starting from 10k.

Core i7 9** series ( 13k and above ) - no words about performance. ultra powerful. they are 4 cores with HT.

Now time for some conclusions -

if on a budget of upto 8k for a processor look into AMD section only.
if on a budget of upto 10k look at your need. if gaming then i5 750/760. if rendering, animation phenom II x6 1055t.
if budget is above 10k for a processor for gaming look into intel section(not at i5 6**). if you are into rendering 1055t @ 10k will suffice. no need to get 1090t @ 14k.

Socket compatibility -

AMD processores can be used on AM2+ and AM3 socket motherboards.

Intel processors -
Core i3/ i5/ i7 8** can be used on H55/ H57/ Q57/ P55 chipset boards, i.e. LGA1156 socket.
Core i7 9** can only be used on X58 chipset motherboard, i.e. LGA1366 socket.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
its NF 980a SLI , 780a SLI and more..

no. i know about the chipset. its NF100 chip, maybe. it allows 2 Nvidia cards over whatever the chipset supports by default. many X58 mobos have this NF100 chip. so offers 6-7 PCIeX16 slots.

about the latter part, yours good too. that way too can be done but i was comparing all proccies at same price. giving pros & cons in same time. & giving a direct comparison of Intel & AMD. well lets see what other members say. but your look very tidy.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
The NF chips were used to work in conjunction with the PCI.E controller. If it is an nForce board (nVidia chipset) then it is the primary PCI.E controller, on X58/P55 it works with the on die controller and enhances the band-width.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
The NF chips were used to work in conjunction with the PCI.E controller. If it is an nForce board (nVidia chipset) then it is the primary PCI.E controller, on X58/P55 it works with the on die controller and enhances the band-width.

can't this chip be used on a AMD motherboard? or an LGA775 motherboard? both of these have the PCIe controller in the NB.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
They were used on the LGA775 boards - Intel Skulltrail, for AMD the nForce 980a SLI has the NF chips. Also the nForce 780i SLI chipset for LGA775 has the NF200.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
oh boy,
sli is surely very expensive!!(but stable and bug free)
as it is available only for enthusiast boards like lga771(skulltrail),x58,and the horribly costly nForce980a
whereas crossfire(though terribly buggy) is within the reach of most of the mid end consumers through
cheap 770 and 790 chipsets for amd
and p45 for lga775,p55 for lga1156 for intel
not to mention the x58 boards

though Ati wins in terms of absolute value,
the recent buggy drivers for crossfire is giving it a hard time!!

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

i wish sli licensing wasn't so stringent and
the sli compatible boards could be available under the 100$ mark

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
oh boy,

so is Xfire. a couple of years ago, SLI was very efficient. now Xfire on par with SLI.

as it is available only for enthusiast boards like lga771(skulltrail),x58,and the horribly costly nForce980a

P55. if you talking about the SLI on these boards, its just that they support the NF*00 chips. so can allow additional SLI over the default ones (2 for P55. 4 for X58).

WRONG. 770 don't support Xfire. its a 790X with no support for Xfire (as it too got no IGP similar to 770).

]i wish sli licensing wasn't so stringent and

for every SLI enabled board sold, the manufacturer need to pay some definite amount to Nvidia. not to mention, SLI licensing also cost some amount.

The only CPU for skulltrail platform is QX9775 and it is based on LGA 771 socket.

was it a concept socket? as only a single processor launched for this socket.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
oh boy,
whereas crossfire(though terribly buggy) is within the reach of most of the mid end consumers through
and p45 for lga775,p55 for lga1156 for intel
not to mention the x58 boards

though Ati wins in terms of absolute value,
the recent buggy drivers for crossfire is giving it a hard time!!

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

i wish sli licensing wasn't so stringent and

That's not correct - SLI not always too much expensive :

nForce 650i SLI
nForce 750i SLI
nForce 740i SLI

nForce 750a SLI
nForce 740a SLI

try to find mobos based on these chipsets from different manufacturers and you will see that even SLi can be fit within a budget build.

so is Xfire. a couple of years ago, SLI was very efficient. now Xfire on par with SLI.

P55. if you talking about the SLI on these boards, its just that they support the NF*00 chips. so can allow additional SLI over the default ones (2 for P55. 4 for X58).

WRONG. 770 don't support Xfire. its a 790X with no support for Xfire (as it too got no IGP similar to 770).

for every SLI enabled board sold, the manufacturer need to pay some definite amount to Nvidia. not to mention, SLI licensing also cost some amount.

was it a concept socket? as only a single processor launched for this socket.

Actually that platform was released for workstation ( even suited for gaming ! )market - but nonetheless it was immensely powerful - Just imagine the power of 8 cpu cores !

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
WOW !!! 8 cores? that was something. but what was the price? must be way above the usual 50k mark for EE proccies.

Here's the prices :p

Motherboard : Intel BOXD5400XS Skulltrail EATX @ $654.63 ( Rs. 30,639.9 )
Link

CPU : One Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9775 3.2 GHz @ $ 1747.99 ( Rs. 81,814.6 ) on amazon.com

So the whole deal would be mobo+2x cpu combo : only $ 4150.61 only
Rs. 194,269

*www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/661/intel_skulltrail.jpg

Here's a review :p
Intel SkullTrail Preview - Dual Core 2 Extreme QX9775 Processors - Skulltrail Enthusiast Platforms Arrive - Legit Reviews

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
this is one monster of a board (similar to the EVGA board for i7 plateform). but at that "ONLY" price, i better purchase myself a 2nd hand car than gaming :lol:

ok, about the draft ICO asked for, the development working going really slow. and the former were really messed up. so change in format. heres the new format:

PROCESSOR(current gen only. old gen/EOL/discontinued discarded):

Intel:

Core i3:
Core i5: mention the quad core & dual core + HT + on chip graphics variants.
Core i7: special mention to the different socket i7 available in market.

AMD:

Athlon II: X2, X2 & X4 will be discussed separately.
Phenom II: X2 & X4 & X6. no discussion on X3, as its discontinued by AMD now.

MOTHERBOARD (DDR3 only as well as supporting current gen processor):

Intel:

LGA1156: mention specially the H55/H57 & P55 difference.
LGA1366:

AMD:

AM3:
separate topics on 8series as well as 7series chipsets. also on the IGP ones as well as the ones without IGP. no separate discussion on southbridge.

RAM (DDR3 only & no to low voltage rams):

Performance:
Value:

HDD(no SSD for now):

Performance: WD Black & Velocity Raptor (if anyone knows in brief).
Value:
PowerSaver: WDC Green & Samsung F3 EcoGreen.

Graphics Card (current gen only. more added as they launched):

EntryLevel:

ATI: Upto HD5570.
Nvidia: yet to be released.

Mainstaream:

ATI: Upto HD5770.
Nvidia: yet to be released. Eg: GTS450 & below.

HighEnd:

ATI:
Nvidia:

PSU(no to desi PSU's please):

Upto 400W: Basic setup/mainstream config.
Upto 600W: Performance setup with high end card.
Above 600W: Xfire/SLI ready.

NOTE: the range is subjected to change. may alter the range as "upto 450W", "upto 650W" & "above 650W".

CABINET (no to HTPC or box cabinets. desi cabinets can be listed):

Minitower:
Midtower:
FullTower:

MONITOR:

Full HD: 22" & above.
HD: 20".
Budget Monitor: below 20".

MISC:

Keyboard mouse or controllers:
Speaker:
UPS:
TV tuner card:
everything else?

NOTE: if this section doesn't get enough response, it maybe removed.

anyone having a better suggestion? also avoid mentioning prices, please. cause prices due to change. also try avoid using too much technical language (we may understand, newcomers will have problems). also please don't make a new topic in this draft about old gen stuffs. if needed, a NOTE will be provided mentioning what old gen still offers good value & what should be avoided.

@jas, i took your draft & modified it to make it more simple.

PS: after the draft complete, some very basic config from both Intel as well as AMD side will be provided to better understand the current market situation. will be updated when new parts make it to market.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom