Basic Guide Purchase a New System

Status
Not open for further replies.
By far 9800GT is better than 9600GT but but are sure you wanna buy from Lynx, the place is near my city and I went their personally and found disparities in rates quoted by them and the rate of Nehru Place. The only positive about them is that they've got a good collection of variety of Performance products.

Ok, will get 9800GT.
i have got only little to choose from my place. so my only option was through lynx.

is there anyone in Nehru place selling goods online?

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
windows 7 will be both 32 and 64 bit.

will 32 bit OS be never able to use more than 4 GB ram in the future??

that means in 3 -4 yrs, when 3 gb of usable ram will not be enough. 32 bit systems and os will become useless???

32Bit OSes arent and won't support 4GB RAM........

And ya I think 32Bit Oses will b'cum useless.

TECH_MANAGER

Broken In
to install a 64 bit windows, is the hardware any different.

if I go for a quad core Q9640, a good motherboard around 8.5k, 4 GB ram, ATI radeon 4850. and use a 32 bit vista now. and install windows 7 64 bit and 4 GB ram after 2 years. will there be any problem?

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

if I go for a quad core Q9640, a good motherboard around 8.5k, 4 GB ram, ATI radeon 4850. and use a 32 bit vista now. and install windows 7 64 bit and 4 GB ram after 2 years. will there be any problem?
Ur CPU must support 64bit..And Ofcourse, Q9640 was 64bit.... So OK....
And go for ASUS P5Q Pro mobo...

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

Nope....as the CPU is 64Bit and u have adequete RAM so no probs.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Anyone going for ASUS P5Q Pro must weigh out its options too. While P5Q Pro supports Crossfire, and costs 9200 bucks, ASUS P5QC costs 10K but has support for DDR3 too and that too upto 8GB!

Last edited:

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Anyone going for ASUS P5Q Pro must weigh out its options too. While P5Q Pro supports Crossfire, and costs 9200 bucks, ASUS P5QC costs 10K but has support for DDR3 too and that too upto 8GB!

Nice but it depends on the buyer and what he prefers. If he has two ATi cards already (you can crossfire ANY two ATi cards ......example -> 3850 and 4850, both can be XFired :) ) then he needs to buy P5Q Pro and not the P5QC. And I think that DDR3 will hardly make any difference now as P45 wont support Nehalem (which will support ONLY DDR3 natively) and ultimately you will need to upgrade mobo to X58 and then you will be forced to use DDR3.

All in all, P5Q Pro is better as you can put in a second card whenever you feel like rather than using DDR3 which is useless right now with C2Ds, C2Qs and X4s.

acewin

Point Blanc
but I think it will matter to normal users who are not into gaming. But then the question is. wont the price of DDR2 go down when DDR3 prices becomes feasible.
In that case you can go for more DDR2 RAM getting 4GB sticks.

its little decent choice(P5QC).

windows 7 will be both 32 and 64 bit.

will 32 bit OS be never able to use more than 4 GB ram in the future??

that means in 3 -4 yrs, when 3 gb of usable ram will not be enough. 32 bit systems and os will become useless???

any device based on 32-bit addressing cannot access more than 4GB data, example FAT32 would not allow a single file of 4GB on it. Try copying 4GB single file in USB Pen drives you will know what I mean.
64-bit has better performance than 32-bit OS because of better and faster addressing. with such good proccies which can process more data in single transaction 64-bit OS is much better.
Its just that games and quiet a few apps run better on 32 bit OSes people still using it.

64-bit XP is available now also, and most of the linux distros are 64-bit.
64-bit OS can run 32-bit apps also.

Waiting for windows 7 not a gr8 choice, we already have 64-bit edition of all OSes and distros already. The hardware is no different.

this discussion got me think interesting point 4GB single stick would not work properly in 32-bit OSes, and may give hardware incompatibility errors very easily.

guys I have a question about UPS, as I have big confusion whether to buy 650VA APC or 800VA HP or 1KVA Microtek. what does more VA affects.because in almost same price I can get a 1KVA from Microtek. But then calls in the brand factor APC is the best UPS. Trying to get price quotes of belkin which is other very reputed brand, but which we do not generally see in the market. ??

Last edited:

ironfreak

Journeyman
SMPS confusion remains :(

I want to buy new a SMPS 600w-650w...

Before that I just want to know modular PSU really offers any advantage?? We can just detach the unused cables which improves airflow inside cabinet.
According to wikipedia article, they have (modular) often been criticized for creating significant amounts of electrical resistance. the quality of the connector, the age of the connector, the number of times it was inserted/removed, and various other variables such as dust can all raise resistance.
Is this really true? the quality of connector that in non-modular (or unimodular, whatever...) is superior than connectors used for modular PSU ?
Actually thing is I will not frequently attach, detach cables once the system is assembled. secondly, if dust can raise resistance in modular, it should also do it in non-modular. i mean if enviornment is dusty, both type of PSUs should equally affect. Isn't it ??
If I get modular, detaching unnecessary cables will allow some free space inside cabinet. and if non-modular gives better performance than modular, im up for it. but at the same time I think its worth spending 700-800 more for modular ??
Performace matters!!
Im confused!!:confused:

Help guys...

Last edited:

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Consider this that if tomorrow one of the cable goes kaput, in case of Modular you can either get a new one or make one but in case of simple PSUs, u'll have to take the whole thing to the dealer for warranty or repair! Just weigh out what makes more sense in case of ur usage.

tkin

Back to school!!
Re: SMPS confusion remains :(

I want to buy new a SMPS 600w-650w...

Before that I just want to know modular PSU really offers any advantage?? We can just detach the unused cables which improves airflow inside cabinet.
According to wikipedia article, they have (modular) often been criticized for creating significant amounts of electrical resistance. the quality of the connector, the age of the connector, the number of times it was inserted/removed, and various other variables such as dust can all raise resistance.
Is this really true? the quality of connector that in non-modular (or unimodular, whatever...) is superior than connectors used for modular PSU ?
Actually thing is I will not frequently attach, detach cables once the system is assembled. secondly, if dust can raise resistance in modular, it should also do it in non-modular. i mean if enviornment is dusty, both type of PSUs should equally affect. Isn't it ??
If I get modular, detaching unnecessary cables will allow some free space inside cabinet. and if non-modular gives better performance than modular, im up for it. but at the same time I think its worth spending 700-800 more for modular ??
Performace matters!!
Im confused!!:confused:

Help guys...
I think I can help you here, I own a Corsair CMPSU620HX 620w modular SMPS and it has tons of advantages compared to normal SMPS.

1.Being modular, cable clutter is less and airflow is excellent in the cabinet, specially around the CPU and chipset region, I couldn't get my CPU cores beyond 60c at max load, while my GPU maxed out at 67c and HDD @ 37c, my system remaines 5-10c cooler than my friends who owns a similiar system but with a normal SMPS.

2.According to the manual the connectors of 620HX are gold plated so no resistance problem should occur, even if so you can just change the cable, I couldn't even use half of the cables supplied, also the cables are covered with sheath, so better airflow equals less dust.Also the connectors of a normal SMPS isn't superior, its just a stupid myth, it depends on the overall build quality.

3.If the environment is dusty, you can just remove the cables of a modular SMPS and clean it, then reattach it. Also it should affect both type of SMPS.

4.Now the bad news is that the price difference isn't 700-800, its almost 3k. While CoolerMaster 600w normal SMPS costs 3k, CMPSU620HX costs 6.5k, I don't know if the CMPSU520HX 520w model is available here, but the 620w model comes with 5yrs warranty, and believe me, the extra 3k is really worth it.

ironfreak

Journeyman
Re: SMPS confusion remains :(

I think I can help you here, I own a Corsair CMPSU620HX 620w modular SMPS and it has tons of advantages compared to normal SMPS.

1.Being modular, cable clutter is less and airflow is excellent in the cabinet, specially around the CPU and chipset region, I couldn't get my CPU cores beyond 60c at max load, while my GPU maxed out at 67c and HDD @ 37c, my system remaines 5-10c cooler than my friends who owns a similiar system but with a normal SMPS.

2.According to the manual the connectors of 620HX are gold plated so no resistance problem should occur, even if so you can just change the cable, I couldn't even use half of the cables supplied, also the cables are covered with sheath, so better airflow equals less dust.Also the connectors of a normal SMPS isn't superior, its just a stupid myth, it depends on the overall build quality.

3.If the environment is dusty, you can just remove the cables of a modular SMPS and clean it, then reattach it. Also it should affect both type of SMPS.

4.Now the bad news is that the price difference isn't 700-800, its almost 3k. While CoolerMaster 600w normal SMPS costs 3k, CMPSU620HX costs 6.5k, I don't know if the CMPSU520HX 520w model is available here, but the 620w model comes with 5yrs warranty, and believe me, the extra 3k is really worth it.

Hey thanks man thats really useful info. you have written it point by point, makes it easy to understand. I think I should get the modular only. Hey i was comparing price with the 650W TX which costs 6k at theitwares. So thays why i said 800rs price difference.

Anyways thanks a lot for such a neat post.:)

ganeshravi

Broken In
can i get some comment on the asus P5KC mobo..?? in chennai tis around 9.5k.... is it worth a buy..??? am confused between the MSI P45 neo and this asus p5kc.... but i tried some shops in ritchie st... its difficult to find shops havin these.... i donno which one to go for... some help here please..??? thanks...

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Bro, r u sure its P5KC cause AFAIK there is no such board, although there is a P5QC which I do happen to possess and have all good reviews about it. If u r gettin' the said board for 9.5K then take it 'cause I was mugged of 10K for it. :(

imgame2

Padawan
can i get some comment on the asus P5KC mobo..?? in chennai tis around 9.5k.... is it worth a buy..??? am confused between the MSI P45 neo and this asus p5kc.... but i tried some shops in ritchie st... its difficult to find shops havin these.... i donno which one to go for... some help here please..??? thanks...

ok first of all MSI P45 neo ..is about 6 k and Asus P5KC is 9.5k ...and obviously these kind of mobos not many people buy so u will not find many shops selling them ..in fact if u go looking for odd mobo u will not find it ...

as i said before ..MSI support is pretty bad so it will be difficult to find its mobo ...but at that price its really a great mobo ..but if u want to be future proof ..go for Asus P5KC but its P35 chipset with DDR2 and DDR3..better go for P5QC which plasma snake was talking about..its P45 chipset and supports both DDR2 and DDR3...u can also consider asus P5Q in that price which is really good mobo as well ..but Asus support is good so u will not face much problem with them ...atleast i hope so ..cos i never had any problem with a asus P875 chipset mobo i bought long back ..

as i see it its clearly a question of ur budget and aftersales support ..if u buy MSI ..make sure the vendor is ready to give aftersales support

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom