Basic guide for the right power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadinvent

Broken In
The bad news is that Quality PSUs aren't available in smaller cities (atleast not available in Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh) & shopkeepers keep pushing low quality ones like zebronics, iball, foxin, & the list is endless. We can't order quality PSUs like seasonic ss400bt, antec vp450p, etc from online stores like Flipkart & ebay as they doesn't provide full 3 year warranty & provide only 30 day replacement warranty. So it does not gives me confidence to buy from online stores & forced me to settle for low quality PSU like VS 350 from corsair. My sincere Thanks to Sorcerer Sir & Topgear Sir for opening my eyes to quality PSUs but still not able to take independent decision - blame it to small cities like mine.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Assuming Corsair doesn't change the components and specs on this one eventually like how they did for some power supplies, it should be pretty okay, however going for Antec VP450 is a lot better choice.

VS450 seems to have smaller heatsink and uses capxon capacitors so I wouldn't really recommend it except for low powered systems with onboard gpu and maybe 1-2 drives max. On the bright side, assuming that uses rebadged Unisonic S3515 IC, it should have over voltage protections. But why would Corsair use so many unknown/questionable/rebadged components? You get something better and more reliable for the price. Too bad those FSP units aren't around. Antec VP450 gets more preference from my side.

On another note, its weird to see Corsair VS 450's PCB to be white on one side and green on the other.

Antec VP450 is not a active PFC unit ? so is it safe to use or there's any side effects involved using this ?

The bad news is that Quality PSUs aren't available in smaller cities (atleast not available in Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh) & shopkeepers keep pushing low quality ones like zebronics, iball, foxin, & the list is endless. We can't order quality PSUs like seasonic ss400bt, antec vp450p, etc from online stores like Flipkart & ebay as they doesn't provide full 3 year warranty & provide only 30 day replacement warranty. So it does not gives me confidence to buy from online stores & forced me to settle for low quality PSU like VS 350 from corsair. My sincere Thanks to Sorcerer Sir & Topgear Sir for opening my eyes to quality PSUs but still not able to take independent decision - blame it to small cities like mine.

I don't know if I'm comfortable with that ;-)

Only 30days replacement ? That's not true . You can avail manufacturer warranty afaik .

may be such small towns does not have proper SC for all the components in which case cadinvent can ship it back to the seller though but all sellers does not provide service like this so it's always better to purchase from some reputed online sellers like FK, prime, SMC, theitdepot, theitwares etc.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Antec VP450 is not a active PFC unit ? so is it safe to use or there's any side effects involved using this ?

there is no need to go with vp450 as a newer version with active pfc circuit, vp450p is available at the same price.

Broken In
Hi guys,

I got a Cooler Master 460 PSU from a friend who upgraded last year.

I installed it in my PC yesterday (after removing a Cooler Master 350w PSU, which will go in my upcoming NAS build). Soon after installing, I realized that my MicroTek 800 VA (double battery) UPS is not giving back-up for more than 5 seconds. Not enough time to even shut down the PC. For a second, I thought it is the PSU and re-installed my 350w PSU back. The problem remained same yesterday and today even after charging the UPS whole night.

So, guys, please suggest that is it a co-incidence that my UPS batteries died the same day I installed this PSU or this PSU killed the batteries trying to pull so much power.

The MicroTek UPS was bought in March, 2012. It has 2 years warranty on UPS, except batteries which carry 1 year warranty.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ it could be the UPS only and microtek is not a very good UPS maker .. now for some it may work but I've used 2 MT ups before so ...

there is no need to go with vp450 as a newer version with active pfc circuit, vp450p is available at the same price.

did not know about the new version of VP450 with active pfc.

When did I say that?

nah, you did not say it but check out the review here :

Antec VP450 Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

The only reason this unit can’t get the 80 Plus certification is that only power supplies with a PFC circuit can be certified, as the 80 Plus certification requires a power factor of at least 0.900 at full load.

Broken In
Hi guys,

I got a Cooler Master 460 PSU from a friend who upgraded last year.

I installed it in my PC yesterday (after removing a Cooler Master 350w PSU, which will go in my upcoming NAS build). Soon after installing, I realized that my MicroTek 800 VA (double battery) UPS is not giving back-up for more than 5 seconds. Not enough time to even shut down the PC. For a second, I thought it is the PSU and re-installed my 350w PSU back. The problem remained same yesterday and today even after charging the UPS whole night.

So, guys, please suggest that is it a co-incidence that my UPS batteries died the same day I installed this PSU or this PSU killed the batteries trying to pull so much power.

The MicroTek UPS was bought in March, 2012. It has 2 years warranty on UPS, except batteries which carry 1 year warranty.

^^ it could be the UPS only and microtek is not a very good UPS maker .. now for some it may work but I've used 2 MT ups before so ...

[/url]

Thanks topgear.

So what should I do now keeping these things in mind:

1. This Microtek UPS has worked flawlessly since March'2012. Not even a single restart when power goes or comes back. I have used Corsair CX400 and CM 350 with it.
2. It may be a co-incidence that the batteries died on the same day I change my PSU to an old CM 460 which worked fine otherwise.

My options are:

1. Return the PSU; or
2. Change the UPS batteries and try again; or
3. Throw the MicroTek UPS. :p

BTW, I am temporarily using an APC 1100 UPS of my AV unit.

himanshurp

Right off the assembly line
i have msi 940a-g46 motherboard and asus/amd ati 7770 hd ddr5 graphic card for i dont have any vga or dvi port for display out but it will need a power for a graphic card so which psu will u prefer for me in low cost

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ VP450 costs at-least 600-700 bucks more AFAIK.

Thanks topgear.

So what should I do now keeping these things in mind:

1. This Microtek UPS has worked flawlessly since March'2012. Not even a single restart when power goes or comes back. I have used Corsair CX400 and CM 350 with it.
2. It may be a co-incidence that the batteries died on the same day I change my PSU to an old CM 460 which worked fine otherwise.

My options are:

1. Return the PSU; or
2. Change the UPS batteries and try again; or
3. Throw the MicroTek UPS. :p

BTW, I am temporarily using an APC 1100 UPS of my AV unit.

I would prefer option no. 3 and buy a new apc ups but you can try option no. 2 too.

Broken In
I need to buy a fan for my SFX PSU. Size is 80mm with 15mm height.

Cooler Master R4-SPS-20AK-GP is one such model but I can't find it anywhere in India. :(

Can anyone suggest me a good quality low noise fan of this size please. Any good brand will do.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Corsair RM750 has problems, apparently:
HARDOCP - Corsair RM750 750W Power Supply - Corsair RM750 750W Power Supply Review
Overall, Corsair has been one of the extremely solid brands we have seen and its products have developed a rabid following among enthusiasts. Certainly, a number of its power supplies have been a part of that. The Corsair RM750, however, is not one of those. Barring the fact that this unit is an outright failure as it is today, this unit was just not good compared to the competition including its own internal competition. Sure, the voltage regulation, DC Output Quality, and Transient Load Test results were in specification for the tests it would complete, but the RM750 could not pull ahead of the competition in any category or even keep up with the competition in many aspects. If we couple that with some of the unknown and/or low end component selections in this unit, we quickly can see that, even if this unit had passed all of our load tests, there simply would be no reason to buy this unit as there better options out there. If an enthusiast wants a really quiet power supply, they probably are going to want one that at least is competitive with other products not the one that is bringing up the rear. So, if users are really considering this unit it would probably behoove them to consider some of this units competitors like the Seasonic G-750 or (if they must grab a Corsair unit) the TX750M or TX750 V2 before Corsair tries to kill those lines off in favor of this newer and lesser product. While rabbits apparently don’t lay Raisinets, Corsair has sure laid a turd with the RM750 in its current form.

In all honesty, Corsair needs to stop doing this and do what they used to before: Stick with Seasonic/Channelwell tech. The power supply where they have made for countries 240V AC output specifically India and China doesn't seem to have an actual active PFC. Why are they phasing out TX to replace it with this inferior unit? Not a good sign for Corsair.

RM650 is known to be CWT though, but Corsair has a trend of jumping OEMs and/or designs and/or degrading built quality and internals everytime they introduce a newer OEM- except in HX and TX series. As of now, Antec who uses Seasonic to my knowledge, Seasonic and Coolermaster that uses either Seasonic or Enhance psu OEMs.

I think its best if people buy power supplies that are being reviewed by sites with honest testing method, rather than keeping belief on brand name and series. It happened at the time when CM had extreme and everyone went ga-ga over it. It was a pain to explain it to people back then because everyone did the 'because 600w is more than 450w' lulz back then.

Digit as a magazine used to recommend many systems with extreme series psu. Now they're using VS series. So, read the reviews. Brands are not stupid to send questionable power supplies for review, unless its made for a specific region for specific VAC of which the reviewers cannot review it with due to different VAC. If the same capacity and rev psu is not reviewed, move on.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
this is exactly why I've stopped recommending corsair PSUs even though I'm a user of the same ... it's really a PITA to see such a big name using such low quality componenets on psu which suppose to have some decent components. RM series is no way like VS series so it's imperative for corsair to use better components on this compared to VS but they are doing exactly the opposite ....

BTW, can you recommend some PSUs upto 2k and 3k range ? I know 2k is not a good budget for a quality psu but still psus from big brands should be at-least better from generic psus.

OP
The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
2k-3k? Not really sure. Cheapest you can get is Antec VP450 (service is unknown). CM is planning to bring in newer power supply lineups but I am not sure of the cost. Power Supply sales isn't exactly a profitable thing unless you have the infrastructure to handle RMA effectively and mass distribution at the same time. There's one who is rumoured to bring FSP OEM PSU but the distributor is run by a shady fellow so I wouldn't keep that much faith.

Besides, who catered to that cost? FSP? Are they still around?

The point is this: Antec has a management (sorta) here. So does Corsair and Coolermaster. Even if the distributor changes hands, at the very least management is there so that you can always shoot a mail to solve the issue as a last resort- like how it happened with you and Gigabyte. Only Seasonic doesn't have their own management, but considering the situation and that Seasonic is a very solid OEM till now, chances of rma is low than you can think of. Only thing that drives Corsair as of now is replacement effectiveness, but the rate of returns have increased for power supplies and AIO coolers- especially the i units.

As of now, AX non i and HX series power supplies can be recommended easily. Same goes for TX, though it seems that it would be replaced by RM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom