bare minimum rig and min $$

Souro_Ray

In the zone
I read an article in Custom PC magazine about building a rig for 350GBP which is able to play Skyrim at pretty high settings using a Pentium G620, an H61 board and a Radeon HD6850. So, yeah the G620 is a good option.. But you lose out on future upgradability by going the Intel way with your budget

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pentium G620 + h61 board + radeon 7750 combo will bottleneck the processor 'eyes closed'.
this is incorrect.

Benchmark Results: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim : Battle At $140: Can An APU Beat An Intel CPU And Add-In Graphics?
G620+6670 DDR3 managed avg fps of 64.3 on skyrim with med setting & 1440*900 resolution.7750 will only be bottlenecked for a very few heavily cpu dependent games at ultra/high settings at resolutions lower than full HD(at full HD card is the only significant factor).

G620 is as much future upgradeable as AMD AM3+.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
So all of Intel's 6 series chipsets (H61, H67, P67 and Z68) will support IB? If that is the case, then ignore my quip of losing out future upgradability with Intel... I remember reading somewhere that only the Z68 series would support IB with a BIOS update. Ah well

OP
echo9

echo9

Broken In
Pentium G620 would clearly outperform Athlon II 260. Combination of G620 & 6770 is far better than AMD A6. AMD A6-3650 would be ideal for casual gamers who don't want invest money on graphics card.

As you say that you have a decent ATI Mobility Card in your laptop. Find out the desktop equivalent of ATI 5450M.

Compare the desktop equivalent of your Laptop card with desktop
HD 6770 or 7750. Find the average increase in performance.

Then try to decide is it worth investing another 20K on desktop to get that much better gaming experience. The thing is if you are already having a laptop playing battlefield 3 decently at low settings, then is it worth getting a budget desktop which may not give huge boost in experience or atleast be a future proof config?

my suggestion: save some more money, wait for your laptop to get a bit older, untill it is struggling or unable to play the latest games you love, you will be frustrated with your laptop:-D. This will probably take a year. By then save up some 40 to 50K. you will be hungry to play the latest games:mrgreen:. Intel will release Haswell in 2013, which is Tock as Ivy bridge is tick. Tock is sure to give huge performance boost like Sandy bridge, Nehalem & Core. go for quad core Haswell & 7850/8850, that config will be rocking.

Well I am able to play Battlefield 3 at High/Medium settings, AA is set at 2x/4x (dnt remember), V sync is off (damn V sync :/) and pretty much everything else is set to medium :p

So, no probs with BF3 so far though the issue I mentioned that it hangs a bit while loading up a level (bought BF3 just for multiplayer :mrgreen: ; had already completed the SP thx to piratebay :-D)
IDK maybe this hanging issue is related to "origin client", EA's duplicate for steam (and sure it sucks azz :mrgreen: hellava bugs :cry:).

And yes I do use a x64 OS (Win7 x64 Ultimate Edition Legit :p)
But all I worry for now is 6GB of DDR3 RAM will generate a lot of heat :|
+ Inspiron's physical design is not that great in terms of ventilation etc. its just "ohk" *shrugs*

A6-3650 has an IGP - Radeon HD 6530D. It should be slightly faster than your laptop's GPU.

Though a discrete gfx card like HD 6770 will be quite faster.

yea..my bad. I just sat for like 2-3 hrs googling around. Saw dsome demo vids too at youtube. Trust me I am inclined towards the A series for now (A-team from AMD FTW!! :-D:cool:)

Also, what about "Hybrid Crossfire X" on a A-8 series proccy?? :D it might pack a more solid punch than a Phenom X4 with the same gfx card (as in an A8 in Hybrid Crossfire X mode hmm?)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
this is a fact that (any intel processor+graphics card)>>(any amd processor+same graphics card).hybrid crossfire-x for A series is limited upto 6670 only which is weak compared to 6770 so in the end hybrid crossfire will still be slower than 6770.intel config is best in terms of gaming but if you still want to get llano go ahead as it is your choice after all as forums are only here to give you facts.

OP
echo9

echo9

Broken In
this is a fact that (any intel processor+graphics card)>>(any amd processor+same graphics card).hybrid crossfire-x for A series is limited upto 6670 only which is weak compared to 6770 so in the end hybrid crossfire will still be slower than 6770.intel config is best in terms of gaming but if you still want to get llano go ahead as it is your choice after all as forums are only here to give you facts.

reason I am inclining on AMD for now is:

1. they can be upgraded pretty neatly.
2. considering A-8 or other A series AMDs their IGP is actually solid enough even if I am not able to add in a gfx card now.
3. they're way too cheap (in comparison to Intel's equivalent)
4. AMDs are OC friendly :-D

And its the opposite which applies for Intel (boooooooo :twisted::mrgreen:)

Still, after checking out AMD's Trinity APU I am overwhelmed by the sheer power it will give us. :cool: put simply a f***n blitzkrieg in the APU market :-D

Hail AMD! *www.bobmarleymagazine.com/forum_bmwm/images/smilies/hail.gif

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Well said and put up mate. Absolutely correct. :) +1

ajaymailed

In the zone
reason I am inclining on AMD for now is:

1. they can be upgraded pretty neatly.
2. considering A-8 or other A series AMDs their IGP is actually solid enough even if I am not able to add in a gfx card now.
3. they're way too cheap (in comparison to Intel's equivalent)
4. AMDs are OC friendly :-D

And its the opposite which applies for Intel (boooooooo :twisted::mrgreen:)

Still, after checking out AMD's Trinity APU I am overwhelmed by the sheer power it will give us. :cool: put simply a f***n blitzkrieg in the APU market :-D

Hail AMD! *www.bobmarleymagazine.com/forum_bmwm/images/smilies/hail.gif
either you hate Intel or like AMD. SandyBridge is undisputed leader in CPU market, gaming or otherwise. This is undeniable truth. It has been like this since Intel released Conroe. AMD is just unable to match the performance of Intel processors, and that is exactly the reason AMD had to reduce to prices of their processors, to survive in the market.

Even the best AMD processor is struggling a bit to match the CPU performance Core i5 Sandy Bridge. AMD-A6 is outperformed by even Core i3s in CPU performance.

AMD APUs are good for casual gamers. not for getting full experience of Battlefield 3. You will definitely need a decent discrete card to get the best performance of resource hungry games like BF3, NFS Run etc

after investing 20K for desktop, you will hate to play latest games at reduced settings. you would also want config to stay future proof for atleast few years.

at the end of the day what matters for gaming is what is the discrete card you have got.

Last edited:
OP
echo9

echo9

Broken In
either you hate Intel or like AMD. SandyBridge is undisputed leader in CPU market, gaming or otherwise. This is undeniable truth. It has been like this since Intel released Conroe. AMD is just unable to match the performance of Intel processors, and that is exactly the reason AMD had to reduce to prices of their processors, to survive in the market.

Even the best AMD processor is struggling a bit to match the CPU performance Core i5 Sandy Bridge. AMD-A6 is outperformed by even Core i3s in CPU performance.

AMD APUs are good for casual gamers. not for getting full experience of Battlefield 3. You will definitely need a decent discrete card to get the best performance of resource hungry games like BF3, NFS Run etc

after investing 20K for desktop, you will hate to play latest games at reduced settings. you would also want config to stay future proof for atleast few years.

at the end of the day what matters for gaming is what is the discrete card you have got.

:-D HAIL ajaymailed *www.bobmarleymagazine.com/forum_bmwm/images/smilies/hail.gif

btw, was wondering how will an A6/A8 perform with a discrete gfx card (no hybrid/crossfixeX support) vs the Pentium g620 (with equivalent clock speed+cache) with the same discrete gfx card (if thats what you all are recommending :-D)

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
I think OP should consider taking the suggesions and welcoming any kinda insight into the differences and the best possible combo that the forum is suggesting.

I wont say that reasoning on the suggesions or trying to inquisit more on the suggestions is bad. But coming to conclusions (that are wrong) and being adamant in thoughts will not help the OP to get any good help from any forum.

This is not intended to attack or support anyone in person but is to try and help the OP to understand and plead the OP to open up and collect more facts than denying as per ones knowledge (which might be limited)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
my earlier post:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i do not trust youtube,i only trust facts/logic.core by core intel is faster than amd because of superior architecture.there are very few games which can utilize more than 2 cores effectively & even then there are factors of graphics card,settings & resolution.considering all these & taking into account you are not getting a very high end graphics card a G620 is better option unless you need 4 cores because of other usages & willing to sacrifice a bit of gaming performance.even then a 4 core phenom would be a better option because it has newer architecture(llano is simply old athlon architecture shrinked & combined with a graphics core) & better overclocking potential.there is no point in getting a llano if one is getting a card like 6670 or higher.

OP
echo9

echo9

Broken In
i do not trust youtube,i only trust facts/logic.core by core intel is faster than amd because of superior architecture.there are very few games which can utilize more than 2 cores effectively & even then there are factors of graphics card,settings & resolution.considering all these & taking into account you are not getting a very high end graphics card a G620 is better option unless you need 4 cores because of other usages & willing to sacrifice a bit of gaming performance.even then a 4 core phenom would be a better option because it has newer architecture(llano is simply old athlon architecture shrinked & combined with a graphics core) & better overclocking potential.there is no point in getting a llano if one is getting a card like 6670 or higher.

+1 :-D

btw the video is actually quite accurate. resolution etc settings of a game has been shown. + talking about future proof than an Intel you will find that there is an increase in number of games utilizing multi-core features. And this increase will only increase in the coming years. :cool:

Also, I haven't really studied the arch. of an A series proc so can't really comment on that :|

Sticking to Phenom + a good med range gfx card (I suppose the 6670/6770?) - (minus) the HDD is my choice for the buyout :-D

Plus, I'll hang out a bit at Nehru place, collect some quotations and will revert back to ya guys :-D
You guys rock!:cool:
Thanks for helping me out and clearing up the fog :mrgreen:
Regards,
echo9

UPDATE: Guys, If i go all by myself to assemble my PC on my own then what things should I take care of? Like are all the necessary cables (hard disk connector cable, ) come inside the Mobo box? what about the screws, nuts and bolts (if any) ?? or will I have to purchase it separately? The PSU cables etc?

Please suggest a check list (it'll be of help to other users too) :) FYI, I do have my own screw driver kit :p

[PS: and yes..I am of a lively mood thats why you fellas can see a: :-D in nearly all of my posts :) Sorry for bugging many of you :| ]
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Find me on BF3 - Player ID: MajorHard0n

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Look buddy its pretty simple and clear. First and foremost, your budget is tight & secondly your primary purpose is to game (the questionnaire template tells us that).

Now at 20k budget, even a llano based system that's decent enough is going to be hard to fit and that too with a discrete gpu. Now as whitestar_999 mentioned, llano's are 32nm athlon 2 x4's with a fused gpu (APU) and the thing that separates it from deneb (phenom 2) is its lack of an l3 cache. It has been seen that lack of an l3 cache does not effect gaming that much (tomshardware had done an analysis sometime back).

Our forum member jaskanwar singh is using an athlon 2 x4 with a 6950 and is getting terrific framerates. So gpu matters more in gaming.

Now at your budget you can't really ask for preferences like a quadcore cpu because adding that will cut off a good discrete card out of your list and will adversely affect your overall gaming experience.

My suggestion is you skip llano (because with the advent of 7 series gpu's, adding them will render the internal gpu useless) and build a base system which can be upgraded in future.

So i still suggest you strongly to consider g620+ h61 board and with it a 6770 or 7750 discrete gpu. Use it for a year and then slowly save and add an ivybridge quadcore cpu as per your needs.

Right now within 20k, all you need to do is to build a system that satisfies your needs and plays all your titles flawlessly. Have a look at the following config and make your decision accordingly:
Component | Make | Price Processor | Intel Pentium G620 Processor, 2.6 GHz | 3450
Motherboard |Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H | 3445
Ram |G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB | 1665
Monitor |BenQ G2222HDL 21.5 inch LCD Monitor |6950
Graphics Card | Gigabyte Radeon HD 7750 | 6500
Cabinet | Cm elite 311 | 1500
PSU | Corsair CX430-V2 | 2300
Total | | 25810

If you dont have a hdd, then consider the following :

Hdd |WD Caviar Blue 500 GB |4329

I know i exceeded your budget a bit but you can cut down prices by opting for a cheaper monitor. But the one i suggested is 21.5 inch fullhd led and is future proof. You can go for a 20 incher for around 5k and cut cost.

Now you make the decision. :)

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
Well the thing which Linus didnt show in the video was pairing up that HD 6670 with core i3 2105 , which would have made the results in favour of core i3 regarding the CPU power , no doubt AMD has better onboard graphics but it is always advisable to use a graphics card for gaming .

OFF TOPIC : I love his cat!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
good post @vickybat.i am not a gamer so not familiar with game titles & related cpu performance.as a general user i recommended phenom over llano but your post is much more persuasive regarding G620 advantage here.i guess it takes a gamer to make another gamer realize what's best.:)

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
@echo9
You can probably watch some videos on youtube about Assembling a pc . And yeah all the cables do come with their respective products like the Sata cables and PSU cables are on the PSU thay can't be taken out of it (unless it is a modular one) , the nuts , bolts all come with products in which they are required .

Top Bottom