At 1.4Mbps, India has the slowest average Internet speed in Asia Pacific: Akamai

ramkumarvcbe

the Warrior
Oh, yeah. :D I'm also used to change my 2G/3G packs very frequently. 1 GB 3G Pack @ Rs.127 (Airtel) is only lasting for 10 days for me. Afterthat, I'll get a 3G Pack if I'm interested and data-hungry, or else I'll get a 2G (2GB Pack @ Rs. 199) instead. If I use Airtel 3G at home in nights the avg. speed is 4 to 5 MBPS. :D But, If I use it in my office locality(which is a congested area) the avg speed is around just 2 MBPS.
well for me..I switch between 2g-3g contantly...
once I do a 3g recharge .. its last only few days, then have to go back to 2g . atlast only thing that matter is amount of data in hand..

2g speed is still good till u r browsing on ur smartphone using opera mini bt on pc it sucks a big time..

now only hope is relaince jio.. i can see ofc cable being laid here. hope they can come up with some plans .. !!

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
To break the ice, we are living with the population who seldom care about the internet speeds or FUP's. How many of our relatives and friends who care about internet speeds apart from few ten thousands of us who game online multiplayers or keep interest in downloading a huge amounts?

We might find it ridiculous but for an average internet user in India, internet is still about browsing and downloading some documents. This point is reiterated over and over if you check out the speeds at majority of the still exisitng internet cafe's in India. They sport ridulously slow bandwidths except from gaming cafe's ofcourse.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
To break the ice, we are living with the population who seldom care about the internet speeds or FUP's. How many of our relatives and friends who care about internet speeds apart from few ten thousands of us who game online multiplayers or keep interest in downloading a huge amounts?

We might find it ridiculous but for an average internet user in India, internet is still about browsing and downloading some documents. This point is reiterated over and over if you check out the speeds at majority of the still exisitng internet cafe's in India. They sport ridulously slow bandwidths except from gaming cafe's ofcourse.

You have hit the point. Actually in America, HD Streaming over netflix plus youtube streaming at 720p/1080p is somewhat a norm in every home and hence they have great bandwidth. Here , we are apathetic towards good speeds. As long as one can browse a little and watch youtube in 240p , people are happy and hence govt must not really be caring about improving speeds.

sujoyp

Grand Master
+1 ^

None of my cousins even have a 3G package on there cell...all using 2g for facebook and whatsapp on androids...they live in big cities like pune banglore and have no idea how to download torrents ...they see at multiplex or borrow movie from some freak like us :D
what will they do with a 4mbps connection...they are happy with 128 kbps too :D it will be a unneccesary waste of infrastructure just for rich and net freaks

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
+1 ^

None of my cousins even have a 3G package on there cell...all using 2g for facebook and whatsapp on androids...they live in big cities like pune banglore and have no idea how to download torrents ...they see at multiplex or borrow movie from some freak like us :D
what will they do with a 4mbps connection...they are happy with 128 kbps too :D it will be a unneccesary waste of infrastructure just for rich and net freaks

Watching a movie at multiplex is fine. Dont discourage them just because we are getting the same on internet. But for the usage they have, as I said, they seldom care for a good internet speeds or pings for that matter

DDIF

Custom User Title
Hmmmm, So checked at *www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/broadband/new_BB_postpaid.html
Didn't find any plan with 2 mbps unlimited. No plan with true unlimited connectivity. I was in Vietnam and Thailand for last month, in Vietnam they pay 300,000 VND/month(INR 890) for 6mbps unlimited connectivity.
Thailand have 8 mbps plan at 700 THB/month (INR 1270 approx).
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results (my speed test in Vietnam) Bill= 890 INR (Incl Tax)
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results (my speed test in India) Bill= 1652 INR (1350 BB + Phone+ Tax)
See how far behind we are.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always wondered about this. How a country who use to lecture in everything has so great bandwith! I mean really, forget about third world places, shouldn't 2 mbps be the minimum already? Shouldn't that be a rule? I ROFL to see BSNL/MTNL say 256/512 kbps as 'broadband'.
What a shame :(
I'd prefer if you rofl @ Airtel. They are the ones who have landed us into this crap.

MTNL has good plans compared to these big ISPs. BSNL had good plans earlier and they were the ones which gave us 2mbps speed in the Year of Fraudband 2007. Otherwise we would be still stuck with 256 kbps.

This "Fair Usage Policy" crap was started by Airtel. After that BSNL came out with worse plans and stopped the old ones.

Alok

Adventurer
Even Vodafone 3g takes hiccups at 720p ...and I don't dare to watch on than damn costly plan.
And being so lucky my city is 3g active at least.
They don't give whole district but only main town so not available at village.

Last edited:

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Speed alone is useless as long as there are usage restrictions.

What will I do with a 16 GBps plan if the usage limit is 1 GB? :twisted:

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
blame it on the companies, they are screwing the the market, its all about money, if people are happy with crappy speed and paying for it, why waste more money on upgrading the infrastructure

and the limited usage plans works in favour of company, people use internet on android, once the 1gb or 200 mb or whatever plan they are using get exhausted, the internet shifts to usage based billing, and company makes money this way, i have seen many people complaing that they are being charged for internet, but its a trick company plays, workd good for them

now is they provide unlimited usage per month with fixed billing or cost, they will miss this money and will reduce their profit

Alok

Adventurer
Well there are unlimited plans but after a limit speed goes 40kbps
And then I'm limited to tapatalk lol

Top Bottom