ASUS HD7970 Temperatures

^ get the above cabby ASAP. Your gfx card must be suffocating in that Cabby. That cabby is the reason for high temps.

Shiva

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Keeping the obvious case changing advice aside, where do you usually keep your PC tower, in some desk/cabinet or in open air? During summer it will obviously heat up, but depending on the ambient temperature in your room.

But if those are temperatures only during load, then there's nothing to be worried about. Just have good enough fans for the front and rear. And get some cable ties and do proper cable management. I don't see the point in wasting money on a new case if that's the situation.

Last edited:

jasku

In the zone
I would agree with Sorcy, I have a similar setup with a reference 7970 and CM690, I am registering about 85-88C on load with FC3, and I am from Chennai, the ambient temps here are very high, so I wouldnt be utterly concerned, just keep your cabinet open during your gaming sessions, that solve your problem.

OP
S

saiyaman

Journeyman
Keeping the obvious case changing advice aside, where do you usually keep your PC tower, in some desk/cabinet or in open air? During summer it will obviously heat up, but depending on the ambient temperature in your room.

But if those are temperatures only during load, then there's nothing to be worried about. Just have good enough fans for the front and rear. And get some cable ties and do proper cable management. I don't see the point in wasting money on a new case if that's the situation.

I keep it on top of the desk and it has space around it. Pretty much open. :)

I did realize that the fancy (okay okay I know.....I'm a noob xD) round stuff at the back of the cabinet is for a exhaust fan. Yes I realized it after using PCs for like 10 years. (Waits for 'You don't say?') :(

I would agree with Sorcy, I have a similar setup with a reference 7970 and CM690, I am registering about 85-88C on load with FC3, and I am from Chennai, the ambient temps here are very high, so I wouldnt be utterly concerned, just keep your cabinet open during your gaming sessions, that solve your problem.

OMG that's interesting. I'm not the only one in facing it! And to top it you are also in Chennai! Feels better now that I thought my card was HAXXED.

BTW you really think those temps are umm safe?

OP
S

saiyaman

Journeyman
90 not so...

below that okay.

I actually read some reviews and sort of shortlisted these:

Corsair 500R (Maybe pricey)
Antec Eleven Hundred
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2

Any idea which I could go for? Out of the mentioned, Antec has good thermal stuff I think.

rock2702

Padawan
I have a 7970 and a corsiar 500r too, thermals are great.The cabinet is one of the best if not the best air cooling mid tower cabinet in the market.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually read some reviews and sort of shortlisted these:

Corsair 500R (Maybe pricey)
Antec Eleven Hundred
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2

Any idea which I could go for? Out of the mentioned, Antec has good thermal stuff I think.

500R all the way ... scout 2 is good but you need to spend a fortune to buy all the required fans for it and the price of 600R is ~6.5k.

The load of HD7970 stock cooled version under lab environment ( read 22c temp ) is ~78-79c.

BTW, you have zebronics Bijli cabinet I guess .. try adding a nice 120mm at the rear and see how much temps drops with it - just as an experiment if you wish to or else if you can mod the cabinet a little to add a powerful front 120mm fan add a 120mm fan on the top ;-)

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
for stock cards availability of fresh air is must.
Cable Management tips :
Get some cable ties. search ebay / local shop (generaly sells for 4pcs/Rs. 1. )
I assume your current cabinet does not have cable management space behind mobo tray. So keep the cables needed for CPU,GPU,few molexs available, zip the rest cable with those cable ties & put the bunch into DVD bays & bind them there so that they dont move.
This will free up some space.
Now get a high airflow fan (like CM excalibur) & put that as intake(even the cheapest cabinets have 120mm front intake fan placement) & populate that exhaust fan place with a fan. If you are using one harddist keep the hard disc at the lowest slot. If your cabinet have removable hardisk mount take the rest of the mounts out of the cabinet so that the front intake will have better space topush air.
Do these & see how much temp. reduction is there.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Just do some cable management. And keep the cabinet in an open space. Those temperatures will not kill the card.

OP
S

saiyaman

Journeyman
Just do some cable management. And keep the cabinet in an open space. Those temperatures will not kill the card.

Cable management is hard in my cabinet though. I'm going to upgrade my cabinet since it's been 7 years anyway plus it's hard to clean it these days.

By the way, I'm not able to find Corsair 500R anywhere in chennai. Any idea how I can buy it? Please help me out with trusted retailers guys.

shreymittal

Being Human
^^^ y no u get nzxt phantom in our bazaar section

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173432

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
^:hyper:

you should get that ASAP if you had plans to buy a new cabby.

OP
S

saiyaman

Journeyman
^^^ y no u get nzxt phantom in our bazaar section

[For Sale] NZXT Phantom 410 Black (1 month old) Cabinet

I thought about it and did consider it. If Im buying a new cabinet then I better go and read up some serious stuff and find the best for my budget. I decided on Corsair 500R.

^:hyper:

you should get that ASAP if you had plans to buy a new cabby.

I know it looks good and all but Corsair 500R has sort of interested me a lot.

I need to know how I can buy that.

rock2702

Padawan
What is your budget for the cabby? I bought my corsair 500r arctic white cabinet online from M.D Computers, had to pay 500 extra for shipping.Look up in shops at Richie Street, theitdepot may have it in stock.

OP
S

saiyaman

Journeyman
What is your budget for the cabby? I bought my corsair 500r arctic white cabinet online from M.D Computers, had to pay 500 extra for shipping.Look up in shops at Richie Street, theitdepot may have it in stock.

Well I believe the Corsair is priced at around 7k. I think it's a good price for what it offers. I called itdepot but they said they will tell me and never called back yet. Probably because I sort of spoke to the Adyar branch.

EDIT: Max 7 to 8K is my budget. Corsair 500R fits that perfectly.