AskVG.com - The Ultimate Place for all Windows Tutorials, Tweaks, Themes & lots more

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
working fine here too :p

and yeah vishal jus incase u plannin a forum ... try this:

phpbb integrated into wp and vice versa ... though the theming is a major pain in the a$$

*www.wp-united.com/

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
hmm.. thnx for the suggestion...

phpBB is good option for the forum... but u know Playing with the DB is not a good one :p as I suppose it will use same user account table for both phpBB and the blog :p

anyway thnx for the suggestion will test impliment it 1st if Vishal wants one Forum :lol:

but i dont think he would one want in Near Future :lol:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Re: AskVG.com - The Ultimate Place for all Windows Tutorials, Tweaks, Themes & lots m

ya it uses the same database ... iv used it and it works flawlessly ... the only prblem is the theming part ... ya well a if u have a blog u dont need a forum ....

this comes in hady when u need to give ur forum members their own blogs :) its got nice set of features for integrating :)

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I also don't think that adding forum is a good idea. This site should contain all tuts. and setup by VG.And forum link to merawindows forum is nice idea. ...because I think vishal is closely attach with merawindows.

However, if he wish to add phpbb forum..than there is no need to play with WP database.Just install phpbb in new directory (say forum)..and link we like this:
www.askvg.com/forum

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
^^^

Just a Tech Comment...

Ravi New Directory will creat problem because of the running Parent htaccess mod... if a forum has to come, it would come under a subdomain... (Note the dir format is not as Cpanel)...

Anyway yeah me to suggested a Dedicated forum only for the support of his Tutorials and Skening... :p but its him who would make the Final choise :lol:

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Whenever we need to use a forum, we would use BBPress. Its the best forum. And I don't think we need a forum as huge as phpbb or SMF for this site. BBPress is enough for the job. BBpress merges easily into wordpress database though here its not needed.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Re: AskVG.com - The Ultimate Place for all Windows Tutorials, Tweaks, Themes & lots m

ravi_9793 said:
I also don't think that adding forum is a good idea. This site should contain all tuts. and setup by VG.And forum link to merawindows forum is nice idea. ...because I think vishal is closely attach with merawindows.

However, if he wish to add phpbb forum..than there is no need to play with WP database.Just install phpbb in new directory (say forum)..and link we like this:
www.askvg.com/forum
what wp-united does is that merges phpbb user db and permissions to wp user permissions and also if ur good enough u can merge the themes also ;) though as i said its not required here .... and yeah BBpress is good enough

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Nice Site vishal, love the layout & the way the page stretches when Zoomed in IE 7 or in Firefox :). There are a few things which are like over kill on your web page, advising to change them

1) Remove the glossiness, it looks quite bad in readability.

2) Change the font of the title "Hacking with Vishal" Looks thin & fat both

3) Sidebar text colour to black

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
for the banner font ... yeah i agree change it ... and i luv the banner image of the screw driver .... make that as ur favicon rather than ms logo

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Here's What AskVG.com Achieved till now

350+ Unique Visitors in less than 24 hours. Still 4.5 hours left for 1 day to be completed.
Bandwidth Consumed: 147MB
5 Email Feed Subscribers(3 are yet to be verified) RSS SUbscribers can be stated only tomorrow.

Thanks for the blast opening :p Never seen such a opening on my own sites. :D

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Just confirming what Navjot said, Few Facts for the site...

Stats (Update 19-09 Time 23:23:04 PDT)

*img207.imageshack.us/img207/623/01ev2.jpg

another intersting stats which I saw is the Browser percentage !!! its FireFox leading in AskVG.com :D

*img207.imageshack.us/img207/8260/02eb8.jpg

:)

blackpearl

The Devil
navjotjsingh said:
Here's What AskVG.com Achieved till now

350+ Unique Visitors in less than 24 hours. Still 4.5 hours left for 1 day to be completed.
Bandwidth Consumed: 147MB
5 Email Feed Subscribers(3 are yet to be verified) RSS SUbscribers can be stated only tomorrow.

Thanks for the blast opening :p Never seen such a opening on my own sites. :D

^^ Wow!! that's great. :))
Why RSS from tomorrow? Feedburner is great for RSS. Can be started in 10 min.

1 Ques: who drew the VG cartoon? :)

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Feedburner always report stats of previous day. Feedburner is serving the feeds from day one. But Feedburner has yet to provide with updated stats.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
thnx a lot guys. I'm really so glad after all your response and comments. I appreciate it. :)

1. I'll never add forum. So pls leave the idea. :D
2. I'm glad that u guys liked the banner. I put lots of efforts in making it. :D
3. OK. I'll try to make a favicon of that screw driver. ;)

@blackpearl
The cartoon was not my creation.

Thanks again guys. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom