Are Companies Cheating in the name Android as Open Source?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
sigh quoting a gizmodo story
Using the Nexus 4 with Android 4.2.1 is a pure pleasure when it comes to performance. I don't exactly know what Google has done with "Project Butter" in Jelly Bean, but the result is astonishing. In the past, Android felt laggy, sometimes even slow and responses to gestures didn't feel half as immediate as on iOS.

Hrishi

@webgenius.. the issue i'm complaining is about stability and UE. companies don't give a fix for stability, all that they do is update to the latest version on the new devices.

Completely agree .
Most of the hardware manufactures care about selling as many devices as possible and get maximum profit. They don't give a damn about what happens to the device after some time.
THis is really annoying , since not everyone can afford replacing the droids every once in a while.

I don't think its a problem with Google providing updates frequently , in one way thats positive IMO. Problem is with the lazy-a** manufacturers who don't wanna spend on providing maintaince and support for longer duration.

Can't cite a better example than MoTorola itself .They clearly refused any updates for Tegra 2 devices , though they initially promised it.
Instead , they are offering some CashBack/100$ to the users who want to buy their new devices.Another marketing strategy , who knows if they abandon their existing devices from any updates in future just like what they did earlier.

Hatts off to those developers at XDA & other communities, who spend their lives to provide us better smartphone experience.
However , I have seen many cases where the Hardware manufacturers (deliberately) didn't released the necessary drivers and libraries. This will hamper the development and fixes for existing devices and the customer will be forced to buy a new device.

Nope not exactly. it so happens that Google keeps introducing new versions and keep upping the hardware requirement rather than fixing its software. This is the second time this is happening in computer/technology industry.. remember the initial days of Windows XP and Vista? people had to upgrade to better hardware just to run their operating system. That pushed the hardware segment i.e., Intel and AMD had to come up with powerful enough processor. Same thing is happening with Android also, but the issue is with Android itself and not the hardware. Current gen hardware powerful enough to do most of the things. its android which is not optimized. i'm not asking for multi windowed apps i'm asking just give me stable experience for the hardware.
The major reason behind this is the variety of android devices.

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
@webgenius.. the issue i'm complaining is about stability and UE. companies don't give a fix for stability, all that they do is update to the latest version on the new devices.

That is expected. You can always expect a patch/update where the device security is at stake here. Even the old devices will get these kind of patches/updates.
No OEM will spend several thousands of dollars again on improving UE of an old device. Even if they do, what is in it for them? Greater percentage of Droid users will be happy with a new updated device than an old device with new updates. See in any developed country, and you'll realize this trend.

More number of updates = less profit for OEM

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Regarding smoothness, Google never looked into this aspect. They were trying to load android to the brim with features. ICS was the first time Google decided to improve the "looks" Now with JB and Project Butter they are having a look at smoothness and performance.

A closed OS like WP8 is super smooth because it is highly optimized for ARM and ARM only

Such optimization is not possible in Android unless they make strict hardware guidelines like MS

Regarding updates, I think Google releases the updates way too fast. Not all OEM's have the resources to keep pace with Google. Apart from Nexus, Galaxy and Note series have been getting timely updates.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Yep. The scope of google's undertaking is massive here and that should be appreciated, but oems should provide a unique experience

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
floating touch is smooth as air, skip to 00:27

the noob in the video didnt use it properly in the end, but it is very accurate, called "glove mode"

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Its not cheating.Lets talk abstractly about electronics.Manufacturers can design devices to last long
but that causes loss of revenue in terms of services.So they are designed to be smooth for only few time.

In business its called Planned obsolescence.

Everything is designed to be dumped.These smart phones are one example of such bad designs evil to earth and humanity.

Top Bottom