Apple iPad vs Android Tablets... What would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2K

In the Zone
Ipads worth it only if ur willing to invest in apps, at least during the price drops
Droid tabs actually make a lil sense if u want to get most practical and functional things done - using it as a portable desktop
Tabs are in new teritory atm, nothing u cant do with a smartphone really

YEah exactly..That was the main reason I went for a smartphone rather than a tablet...
Except for the larger screen their is not much of an advantage of purchasing a tablet.
But if you really need a tablet I suggest ipad if you are not concerned about limited number of free apps and need really good battery backup. Android if you are into downloading massive amount of apps and ready to compromise on battery life.:wink:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
hav both at work, none! both are absolutely useless... I don't know what the **** to do with them, except work of course..
being a power user, i prefer the android tablet, coz no restrictions on many things..

used the table only once, to watch movies while traveling, only once. other wise none.. why would you waste time on ipad when there are people with you when traveling, especially babes..

and we have both ipad 2 and ipad 3 at work, nobody can tell the difference in first few minutes, trust me, most the guys are my workplace are hardcore programmers...

there are ultralight laptops, such as the lenovo T420s, beats the tablets for me, any day!

aroraanant

Explorer
Well for a tablet even I'd recommend getting the new iPad simply because it's better to use than other Android tablets. But for a smartphone it's Android hands down. Although one better suggestion is to go for the Galaxy Note. That thing can beat the hell outta all Android tabs and is also a good tablet replacement. Trust me I know ;)

+1 on that

frankeric

Journeyman
My friend called me today. He wants to buy a tablet, budget 35k. My first instinct was to recommend iPad 2... But I thought about it... My friend is already into the Android ecosystem, and has a Samsung Galaxy S Plus... So, a better option would be Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 or other similar Android tablets.

I asked him to wait for atleast a month. The new iPad 3 is rumoured to me announced on 7th March, available for sale from 14th... iPad prices will come down, and I am sure Samsung would launch something to match or exceed the new iPad 3 in March.

I am also interested in the new Asus Transformer Prime, which has a Quad+1 core Tegra 3 processor and 1 GB RAM, and also has ICS upgrade available right now... It will be a long wait...

If you had a 35k budget for a tablet, what would you buy?

Hi there bud when it comes to tablets ipad is the best choice it has upper hand in all fields of tablets.

red dragon

Master troll
^^Same here.Me too hate Android so so much! !Thought hate only htc,but now after using GS2 for a year,hate all of `em.

techkens

Banned
Apple ipad 3 is creating the new trend and andriod tablets are ok but people usually like choose andriod mobiles, so i choose apple ipad.

I had the reverse experience of everyone here. Already posted about it somewhere, but here it is. I had an iPad2 WiFi 16GB for around 3 months before selling it off cheaply. Was the most HORRIBLE tablet I ever touched. It has an amazing screen, great sound quality, 10hr battery life but the compliments end there.

For starters, iOS has pathetic restrictions that render you unable to do tasks that old 2005-era mobile phones could do. You NEED iTunes for synching things to the tablet. I mean COME ON, a dual core tablet needing to be teethered to a particular software to have stuff transfered to it when I expect it to behave like an independent computer. The market has poor selection of free apps. All good apps are paid. While I don't mind paying for good games or good productivity software, the fact that iOS has no free (non crippleware) viewers for CHM files, comic book archives, and some other document formats (my main use-case for tablets is to read various files) pissed me off totally. It lacks an internal filesystem which even Nokia 6600 had. Each app stores its own files. As a result, you cannot download an audio file from the internet through safari and expect it to be added to the iTunes library. iOS is very crippled unless you jailbreak it and even then its fundamental flaws remain.

iPads have great hardware, don't get me wrong. It has perhaps the best collection of paid applications ever, because iOS had a solid lead over Windows Phone 7 and Android for developers to catch up. But the OS, the thing I interract with on a daily basis, JUST SUCKS.

I sold the iPad off and have no regrets. I found my Galaxy Y which was a 7k INR smartphone to be more functional than the iPad when it came to basic stuff I expect every device to have.

I just can't stand iOS. Not one bit. Its more pathetic than Nokia S40.

red dragon

Master troll
Regarding restrictions of ios
A jailbroken ipad
1.Can transfer file via bluetooth.
2.Can download almost all types of file off the net directly
3.Does have a file structure and a file manager(ifile)
4.Can by-pass itunes(though not completely)

ithehappy

Human Spambot
A jailbroken ipad
And who would not Jailbreak it? Lol. I remember after buying the GSII the first thing I did was to root the device.
There are NO restrictions in iOS, it's just a simple and unique OS which just works fantastically. Android, on the other hand are PERFECT for people who loves complications, and if my guess is right, only school boys and kids use and love Android. You know the reason :/
Meant no offence to anyone.

red dragon

Master troll
There are NO restrictions in iOS, it's just a simple and unique OS which just works fantastically. Android, on the other hand are PERFECT for people who loves complications...
YES!!Another xda regular/android dev finally got tired of the messy Android.
Nothing,absolutely nothing is simple in Android.
Just because of bunch of file managers(mostly are photoshopped of one another)people have a tendency to think that tinkering with android is easier,which is absolutely not the case.

The crowded sometimes claustrophobic home screen with millions of widgets make me nauseated now.

The funniest thing about Android is the madness around the custom ROMs and the hype associated with AOSP (specially CM and most of the devs there).
Not a single AOSP ROM is fully optimised for the hardware,but people claim they are getting better battery on CM7/CM9!!

Well, Android also has issues, the most prominent being the fragmentation of hardware specs. Most Android phones cannot render rich HTML5 content on GPU and instead use slow CPU for it. But in the end, I experienced Android (used only Gingerbread so far) to be better for regular "normal" use than iOS.

If you want the best of everything, get a Windows 8 tablet when it launches or an Ubuntu tablet. Better still, spend 15-20k on an atom netbook that has 11 hour battery life. Infinite choice of mainstream applications, and zero crippling/niggles. For productivity, netbooks beat the $h!t3 out of tablets any day for me :-D

ithehappy

Human Spambot
YES!!Another xda regular/android dev finally got tired of the messy Android.
Seriously. My GSII is exactly 375 days old till today and i can't recall a single day when i actually loved it!
The funniest thing about Android is the madness around the custom ROMs and the hype associated with AOSP (specially CM and most of the devs there).
Not a single AOSP ROM is fully optimised for the hardware,but people claim they are getting better battery on CM7/CM9!!
LMAO at all the Custom ROMs. I can't believe how people accept the new bugs which comes at free with those ROM! They are unprofessional stuffs. And besides I haven't pay them a single penny, so expect NOTHING from them!
The extreme hyped craziness of Custom ROMs in Android will destroy this OS, very soon. Of course, there are plenty other reasons too.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I don't like the current state of tablets. But if you're buying a tablet atm, it should be an iPad.

Mobile phones however is a completely different ball game.

User friendliness and ease of use matters. And this is something Android excells at. Only problem is battery life. Otherwise, Android is the best mobile phone OS around for a newbie. :)

noob

Cyborg Agent
tablets = iPad. Windows 8 tablet will also be kinda meh,,..i would prefer to get ipad over win8 tablet anyday.
Phone = Android for ease of use. You are not forced to install custom ROM/Cm9 ...even stock ROM exp is also decent.

And do you consider not having ability to attach multiple pics in mail as simplicity ?

I don't like the current state of tablets. But if you're buying a tablet atm, it should be an iPad.

Mobile phones however is a completely different ball game.

User friendliness and ease of use matters. And this is something Android excells at. Only problem is battery life. Otherwise, Android is the best mobile phone OS around for a newbie. :)

what you said is right but its hard to justify or accept it for those who are blinded by a certain company. e.g People say even 3GS is getting iOS6 update. Whats the use of such update when all the new features are not going to be supported on 3GS ? Its as good as not getting update.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah

Let's talk about an average user. An average user doesn't know how to root/flash a custom ROM in Android and he doesn't even know how to jailbreak an iDevice.

Simplicity and out of the box experience matters for him. Android is good at that. You don't need to mess around to do little things like file transfer via Bluetooth/USB. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom