Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

Minion

Conversation Architect
I won't use Avast again however, thanks anyway.

Avast Antivirus does eat up your bandwidth and slows your internet due to web shield that is why i am using bitdefender free version which is cloud based but it is having very good detection rate even it blocked all bad links i tried.
Its very light too only 2 background process.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i don't know about others but i use heuristic set to max for web traffic in my antivirus & i don't notice any significant slowdown(i can live with few seconds delay in loading of online videos).unless you notice significant slowdown i recommend leaving web scan settings at default(or max if you can live with a little slowdown).

bitdefender free is good but to be most effective it needs a regular internet connection & also it does not give you any option about files detected as threats.it will automatically delete them(or quarantine them if they are system files).

Minion

Conversation Architect
bitdefender free is good but to be most effective it needs a regular internet connection & also it does not give you any option about files detected as threats.it will automatically delete them(or quarantine them if they are system files).

Yes,It needs internet connection in fact every other antivirus do to update their definition one great thing about bitdefender free is it doesn't heavily depends on cloud it uses definitions too along with cloud it does update itself twice or thrice a day just like webroot AV.
I feel a AV should take decision by itself without asking user till now it is serving me well.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i don't like any software which can delete files without even asking first.as for net connection bitdefender free relies heavily on cloud that is why it is so light & occupy so less space(~150mb) compared to paid version whose definitions alone take ~800mb-1gb space on hdd & which is much more heavier on system.more than definitions it uses cloud to analyze web links/files activity etc which is why it need only 1-2 services & consume much less ram.

NitrousNavneet

Racing 24X7
Hello...
I am using Eset Smart Security 5(On the suggestion of a member of our forum) from the last year, it proved itself a very decent AV in it's time period ,,,And it is going to be expire in 12 days,,,
So please suggest me a decent AV..

Last edited:

snap

Lurker
i use avast but the latest version is becoming too bloated, does anyone know how to disable the software updater?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i use avast but the latest version is becoming too bloated, does anyone know how to disable the software updater?

during installation go custom and untick anything you don't want (SPAM filter, p2p & mail shield, and a bunch of other removable things). for disabling software update it is same as earlier builds. settings (right top) > update and then manual.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if eset is working fine for you then why not renew it.in the world of antivirus it is an established fact that even the best antiviruses perform very poorly on many systems(slowdown,random crashes,BSOD etc) & difference between their detection rate is ~1% only now-a-days.many people avoid kaspersky & bitdefender because of this reason only while i never faced any issues with kaspersky even on an intel atom desktop(& people say it slows their core i7 system).

real world test result:
AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Real World Protection Test Overview

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Going from ESET to Avast is like going 100years back. I'll say, just stick to it.

Recently, I found one more reason not to accept avast. One of my friend's pc was heavily infected with virus, especially win32.sality which is very famous. As soon as I was trying to execute avast 8 setup, system was restarting. But ESET managed everything flawlessly.

hari1

In the zone
Using Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus since one week. Very awesome:cool: Has little to no effect on system performance. You can get a 6 month trial from Facebook.

gameranand

Living to Play
Going from ESET to Avast is like going 100years back. I'll say, just stick to it.

Recently, I found one more reason not to accept avast. One of my friend's pc was heavily infected with virus, especially win32.sality which is very famous. As soon as I was trying to execute avast 8 setup, system was restarting. But ESET managed everything flawlessly.

For some good reasons Avast never gave me any trouble so far. Always does the job nicely for me. :)

Top Bottom