Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

marineli5141

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys,

As the old Antivirus thread was quite old, the thread has been closed. So it's the time for a new one, but not a poll type.

Here user of the following anitvirus can post there comments as well as rate them out of 5 with their usage experience. I hope it will help some noob to a Pro to select a antivirus depending on his needs.

AntiVirus Name:
Free or Paid:
Price in INR [If Paid]:
Protection Type:

Ratings out of 5.
User Friendly:
Detection Rate:
Price:
Overall:

Recommend to Use: Yes or No [If No then mention the appropriate reason].
Comments: if any

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here goes mine.

AntiVirus Name: McAfee Total Protection 2011 3 Users 1 Year.
Free or Paid: Paid
Price in INR [If Paid]: Rs. 1950.00
Protection Type: Includes antivirus for both X86 & X64 OS, Siteadvisor, Online Backup of 2GB per User, Mail Cleaner, Network Watch & of course Firewall too.

Ratings out of 5.
User Friendly: 4
Detection Rate:4
Price:3
Overall:4

Recommend to Use: Yes, but user must be ready to Pay.

Comments: Simple & fast with no effect on system performance as well as powerful with real time scan.

Antivirus name:kaspersky
price-$59.95
protection type- protection against anti-virus,anti-spam,anti spyware,virus detection and removal

Rating out of 5-
user friendly-5
detection rate-7
price-4
overall-7

Thanks...

NitrousNavneet

Racing 24X7
You can do that with Avast also and its free. :)

I don't like avast. It is personal preference. But I would recommend you to just try Webroot. The setup file is less than 5mb and it installs quickly. Just give it a chance.:-D

So , I've decided to stick to Eset ,,
but got problems too..
No credit card uses allowed.. So i can not renew the license anyhow .So I need to buy it online (COD) B'coz the shops here are just stockers of NPAV, as they say it is most demanded ,,,
2nd one is the latest version of eset which is Eset Smart Security 6, is unavailable on flipkart
So will it switch from Eset SS5 to SS6 by online updates if I buy the SS5 again ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i am not sure if it will upgrade from v5 to v6.try trial version of v6 first to test it before renewing anyway.it's price is also more so you better be completely sure about it before buying especially when you can buy bitdefender & kaspersky for much less.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Symantec has recently shut down PC Tools and is offering a free upgrade to Norton for all customers who purchased a license before April 2013. I switched to AVG instead of going for Norton.

FYI New AV-Test and AV-comparatives results are out; please have a look :)

Minion

Conversation Architect
^^AVG is doing great only problem is no. of processes it adds to your start up. By the way good move AcceleratorX stay away from Symantec ****.
Every vendor is providing free AV while Symantec don't have any.They are doing similar things like microsoft taking over company whose products are great and ruining it just like giant Antispyware to windows defender.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used NAV ( paid legit version ) last year but due to certain issues had to stop using it ..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Some of the PC shops in my city installs Net Protector (not Net Protection. this one is from some india antivirus or so) in newly assembled PCs. My uncle pc has the same A/V but when scanned with malwarebytes, multiple exe files (registration & some scanner) were flagged as dangerous and subsequently removed. Installed Avira and it too detected at least 1 more file as PUP. I don't know if NP is really a virus or not but if it is not has to be one crappy AV.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
In my AppData folder there seems to be WindowsDefender.exe
On checking properties I found that it's not a Microsoft system file. Wasn't able to delete with unlocker. I tried to do a system restore and that too failed.

Thinking of getting Malwarebytes anti malware and do a full scan.

Any other suggestions? My PC is running flawlessly btw. It's just that some files are present.
Some of the PC shops in my city installs Net Protector (not Net Protection. this one is from some india antivirus or so) in newly assembled PCs. My uncle pc has the same A/V but when scanned with malwarebytes, multiple exe files (registration & some scanner) were flagged as dangerous and subsequently removed. Installed Avira and it too detected at least 1 more file as PUP. I don't know if NP is really a virus or not but if it is not has to be one crappy AV.
Yeah. +1 to this.

The other day I went to a shop to inquire about something. A guy asked if Bit Defender was available for purchase. The manager replied that Net Protector was the best Antivirus available lot superior than KIS, McAfee and others alike. He was left with no choice and purchased that.

Shops have HUGE stacks of these AV(atleast 200 copies of this)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
In my AppData folder there seems to be WindowsDefender.exe
On checking properties I found that it's not a Microsoft system file. Wasn't able to delete with unlocker. I tried to do a system restore and that too failed.

Thinking of getting Malwarebytes anti malware and do a full scan.

Any other suggestions? My PC is running flawlessly btw. It's just that some files are present.

upload to virus total and let it scan for you. windows defender in app data. it should reside in system32 or windows folder.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

most of shops here too install pirated windows in new assembled systems and laptops without os and want the customer to buy that NPAV, the crappiest antivirus after symantec end point protection installed at my college's computers. once I asked about Avast Internet Security (A. I. S) but the shopkeeper was hell bent on selling Norton/Kaspersky Internet Security and that too at mrp. The shopkeeper went gaga when I mentioned that Avast free version is better than NPAV to a customer and he didn't bought that crap from the shop. :p

Still using avast free version. and planning to get a 3 year A. I. S for free. :cool:

How to get Avast Internet Security 3Yr License For Free

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found three websites for Net Protector AV :

npav.net / netprotector.co.in / indiaantivirus.com

wondering why an Av app needs three different websites ?? all of them have poort Wot ratings but good rating acc to the norton safe web.

Vignesh B

Youngling
^^ That Net protector AV doesn't even detect common malware. I had a flash drive infected by the autorun.inf malware and inserted it in my friend's PC who had this crapware AV installed and even after a full scan at the most sensitive heuristic, it didn't detect the malware. (The PC is clean though.)
Another famous Internet security running around in my town is Guardian(though it seems much better than this NP). And people buy these softwares on the shop-keeper's suggestion who say these are much better than other famous(and reliable) paid/free solutions(Norton, Kaspersky, Avast etc)

Top Bottom