Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had problems with both BitDefender 2010 and 2011. They both brought my PC to its knees upon installation. Somehow managed to uninstall them and never ever gone back to them. So almost no idea about them but their free version was good and much lighter on resource.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has improved over version 1. On a Q9550 system, CPU usage doesn't cross 50% while running a system scan. Scan speeds are slow though. Immunization process have become painfully slower, but at least it guarantees safety of your browsers. At idle 6 processes run in the background which chew some 130mb of RAM with little or no CPU utilization. During scanning 2 more processes run which eat more RAM but nothing significant in a modern PC. All in on, a much improved product which has become somewhat slower.

sakumar79

Technomancer
@monkey, I am using BitDefender on a couple of systems. It is okay, performance is decent. System is new so if you are having a oldish system, it is better if you download and try the 30day trial before purchase... One downside for me is that it does not allow me to disable the recommendation for full scan every 15 days... The full scan takes some time, so I would prefer once a month or so, but BDIS will give a warning in the system tray if full scan is not done once in 15 days...

Arun

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
My KIS 2011 subscription is expiring and I am thinking of shifting to BitDefender. KIS slows down the booting time and its upgradation process is not very smooth. So is shifting to BitDefender a good idea?

if you want to use paid antivirus, use ESET..... very light on system, and quite good ratings from independent labs..... install and forget..... firewall is also hassle free.....

monkey

Padawan
if you want to use paid antivirus, use ESET..... very light on system, and quite good ratings from independent labs..... install and forget..... firewall is also hassle free.....

For 3 computers its for 2,155/- which is quite expensive. Bitdefender is for 750/- only.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Resource hungry and updating definitions is a painful task. I used it and still using it for one of the PC (my uncle's one), because in my hometown it's a myth that paid AV will delete virus, but free AV will not delete it and gives you false alarm always.

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
^^ Resource hungry and updating definitions is a painful task. I used it and still using it for one of the PC (my uncle's one), because in my hometown it's a myth that paid AV will delete virus, but free AV will not delete it and gives you false alarm always.

THats wierd 1 ha ha

Really weird !!

Tell ur uncle to install VIPRE !
Really powerfull AV but lot of false positives .. Even shoots Down Drivers as keyloggers ! nad trojan horse
He would be much happy if he got his drivers killed with a Paid AV

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now that's something. Regarding Kaspersky, I am yet to find a fault with both its Paid and free CBE version.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I think, with AV there can be only one suggestion given, try it out and choose one with your experience.

Otherwise this battle of AV's will never end.

lovedonator

Ambassador of Buzz
@Keur: Please specify the Product names or even the link from where you got the info will be very helpful.

One more thing, select a antivirus is not like a Comparing Graphics Card where one has to win & other to loose.
IMO it doesn't make sense if you use a 9/10 anti virus & don't update regularly.

Regarding Mcafee Total Protection : I never had a single issue with it till date, thats the only reason i have given rating based on my experience.

McAfee is having lot of products like Internet Security, Virus Scanner etc etc.
If someone came across those products, feel free to post it here & make sure you write the proper product name.

General Tips to get the max out your Anti Virus.

What makes a Antivirus better ??
-> Daily Updates.

What makes the user data safe ??
->Dedicated scannings of the HDD, Thumb drives [Very much prone to get virus] & external HDD.

Other things to consider is defragmentation & disk cleanup. Next is registry cleanup.

Most of the times user faces a virus detection of cracks from Anti-Virus. It doesn't mean its the fault of your Antivirus.
IMO its upto you, whether you want to take risk or let it go.

Note: Talking about cracks,hacks or Piracy Stuffs in TDF is not allowed, so let it be kept low.

Dude I got a Mcafee Security Center Disk with my Dell XPS 15 laptop and 15 months subscription too.I'm very happy with the product but I'm having a problem since few days.The download of updates is taking an awful ot of time(2 hrs) and sometimes the update download percentage even backtracks.I've checked and my internet connection is running fine.I've a BSNL unlilmited plan and get average download speeds of around 60kBps. Please help!!!:sad:

OP
d3p

d3p

PowerHouse
^^ 2hrs is completely awful. AFAIK mcafee updations are completely hassle-less.

Check if any FUP are applicable on your BSNL Plan or test the bandwidth in Speedtest while updating.

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
What is your anitivirus software ??

Lets make this simple !

What is your anitivirus software ??

If u have separate Antivirus and firewall then post them too ...
Also the Version whether is is antivirus or Internet security suite

eg ;

Norton Internet security 2011

eg ;

Avira Free + Comodo Free + Malwarebytes

lovedonator

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ 2hrs is completely awful. AFAIK mcafee updations are completely hassle-less.

Check if any FUP are applicable on your BSNL Plan or test the bandwidth in Speedtest while updating.
I've checked all of that.My internet works perfectly fine.The most weird thing is that the downloading update percentage backtracks randolmly(for eg. it goes from 58% to 24%)

gameranand

Living to Play
lovedonator said:
I've checked all of that.My internet works perfectly fine.The most weird thing is that the downloading update percentage backtracks randolmly(for eg. it goes from 58% to 24%)
What the heck??? It goes from 58% to 24% what kind of progress is that. Thats freakin awful. Well I use Avira and never faced a problem like that. Few McAfee users have problems like that.

Top Bottom