Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Outpost asks lesser questions but protection level is more or less same. With Comodo, I sometimes feels its a bit paranoid!!! But yes, its solid.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Well I personally prefer different protection from different companies. Like Firewall from Comodo, AV from Avira or Avast, Anti Spyware from Spybot Search and Destroy. :)

thats exactly what i told. a combination of security products from different companies.

Outpost asks lesser questions but protection level is more or less same. With Comodo, I sometimes feels its a bit paranoid!!! But yes, its solid.

ZoneAlarm, Comodo & Outpost (not to miss OnlineArmour) are all top Firewalls. & their free solutions are the same as their paid ones. just after paying you get some extra features that you may never use.

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
IObit software released their anti-malware software..... they have both free and paid versions........ check...

IObit Malware Fighter | Free Anti-Malware | Free Trojan Remover - IObit

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
thats a crap. used security 360 & the early beta of Malware Fighter. nothing changed. never detected anything. Super Antispyware, Malwarebytes Antimalware, Emsisoft Antimalware work much better & detects spywares. will wait for a good review from CNet or Softpedia.

mrintech

Technomancer
AntiVirus Name: Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 - 1 User License
Free or Paid: Paid
Price in INR [If Paid]: Got it from eBay India and AFAIR around 450 bucks
Protection Type: Complete Internet Security with Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware

Ratings out of 5:
User Friendly: 5
Detection Rate: 5
Price: 4
Overall: 4.5

Recommend to Use: Yes
Comments: Sometimes Update Process is Resource Hungry and Anti-Spyware needs improvement. Firewall and Anti-Virus are more than AWESOME

P.S.: I also recommend Bit Difender because of its Awesome Detection Rate

:)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
mrintech said:
Recommend to Use: Yes
I answer this as no.

Its update system needs a complete over haul. Never get speed above 20 kbps.
So I will term the current KIS as #fail.
No offence :peace:

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
ya.... kaspersky update is quite slow, and it also make my pc quite slow...... other things are good, they should think about make it lite.....

sygeek

Technomancer
The only Anti-virus worth using nowadays is Microsoft Security Essentials else you are just use infected PenDrives and download "bad" stuff which contain them. I've hardly encountered any virus these many years except some infected pen drives which were later vaccinated with Panda USB Vaccine. Else if you still encounter them, well I can just call you an average user for now.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
When I gave Panda USB vaccine a try I found it slow.(erratic performance)

BTW. the built in USB drive protector in Quick Heal is very good. Its very fast and scans most Pen-Drives in no time. The detection is also very good.

Last edited:

sygeek

Technomancer
:O Panda USB vaccine is a very small software without any resource hog. It runs fine on my crapware, not slow at all!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use No Autorun + Avira AntiViR Free + Comodo + Malware Byets Antimalware + All Latest OS and applications updates and this kept me safe so far ;-)

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
^^^^good combination...... but i think antivir free can blocks autorun.inf from pen drive automatically.......and i do not like comodo..... to much questions :x BTW, everybody has his personal choice.....

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@topgear
Add Spybot Search & Destroy to you're combination to do the occasional scan
It is slow. But those guys are in serious shortage of money.

Overall, I think its very good. The "immunising" of browsers seems to help a lot too.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^^^good combination...... but i think antivir free can blocks autorun.inf from pen drive automatically.......and i do not like comodo..... to much questions :x BTW, everybody has his personal choice.....

Yes Avira free can stop the autorun.inf and of all the AV's i used till date, i feel Avira is good and not irritating as much as Kaspersky or Avast used to.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

@topgear
Add Spybot Search & Destroy to you're combination to do the occasional scan
It is slow. But those guys are in serious shortage of money.

Overall, I think its very good. The "immunising" of browsers seems to help a lot too.

I use No Autorun as a double protection - had an incident where I've load all apps and games and it took 2 days as I've to delete HDD partions beacuse of a virus that spread through USB flash drive.

Spybot S&D was once my most favorite app but with it's HUGE database the scanning speed is now too slow and this puts heavy load on my old rig - so I don't use it. They need to revamp the scanning engine.

BTW, Here's some more security apps you guys might find interesting ;-)

Dr.Web CureIt
SpywareBlaster
SuperAntispyware

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
^^^^
spybot now claming......

Spybot-Search & Destroy 2.0 beta has a modern appearance but it isn't just the design that has changed. Discover the fast performance, enjoy the completely automated updates and new command center that will suit both new and advanced users.

The home of Spybot-S&D!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
topgear said:
Spybot S&D was once my most favorite
app but with it's HUGE database the
scanning speed is now too slow and
this puts heavy load on my old rig - so
I don't use it. They need to revamp the
scanning engine.
Actually it keeps proccesor usage 100% in most pc's but still has no real speed.
Lets see what version 2.0 do :D

monkey

Padawan
My KIS 2011 subscription is expiring and I am thinking of shifting to BitDefender. KIS slows down the booting time and its upgradation process is not very smooth. So is shifting to BitDefender a good idea?

Top Bottom