Android 5.0/ Android L Developer Preview Announced

rish1

Cyborg Agent
In what is a change to its usual manner of handling new Android releases, Google has announced a developer preview of the upcoming Android L release. Previous the search giant would unveil a new version of its platform at the I/O event, making it available for download almost immediately.

Now, we've got a developer preview that will only serve for developers to play with and optimize their apps with the actual public release coming later on.
The Android L (final name and version number yet to be confirmed) brings various changes to the UI, with refreshed status bar, dialer and just about every other system apps. Google has also redesigned the transition animations so they look cooler and more natural.
The notifications have been enhanced and are now available on the lockscreen. You can either tap a notification from there and be taken to the app responsible for it, or you can swipe it right off.
The Chrome browser, which has been the default Android browser for some time now has been upgraded as well. It offers a new fluid design with the different parts of its UI changing size to give you easier access to the most relevant options. Its performance has also been tweaked and the GUI rendering has been fixed at 60fps making scrolling around appear extra smooth.
The new runtime environment in the L release is ART, launched as an alternative to Dalvik in KitKat. ART allows apps to run faster and is compatible with ARM, x86 and MIPS architectures. In addition to performance gains, it also provides better memory benefits and is supports 64-bit.

Performance isn't the only thing Google wants to improve with the L Release. The battery performance is also important and to make it better, Google introduced Project Volta.
There's a new Battery Saver mode, which can tune down the CPU, turn off the phone's radio and as a result extend its power autonomy. On the Nexus 5, for example, this should earns you 90 minutes additional usage time.

The factory images for the Android L release on the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 will be released tomorrow for developers to play with them. Over the air updates for end-users will arrive in the Fall.

Material design - YouTube

source -
Google announces Android L developer preview - GSMArena.com news

Last edited:

amjath

Human Spambot
Dont bash with Flat design and windows phone design forget everything, that thing looks damn awesome.

BTW look at this
Google's Project Volta Fights Dying Smartphone Batteries With Science

and
Android One

Come on Google you owned

HBK007

Journeyman
I think we should have a new thread dedicated to Google I/O 2014. I mean Google just nailed it and taught Apple how it is done.
Andoroid TV is awesome, the new Google drive is probably gone take a majority of Office 365 users with it, Android phones can now be mirrored with chrome cast,l Google fit is here, they improved the concept of Continuity which was launched by Apple, Occulus rift just got a new competitor named Google cardboard, hey are ready be inside our cars with Android Auto and smartwatches never looked better thanks to Android wear.
BTW, The Verge has a very nice live blog and collection of things Google is announcing at the I/O.
Google I/O 2014: everything you need to know | The Verge

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
^^ congrats...!! how's your experience , do you like it ?

and whats the available free ram before and after update ?

ratul

█████████████████
^^ congrats...!! how's your experience , do you like it ?

and whats the available free ram before and after update ?

very smooth and still haven't faced any major bugs, just small hiccups here and there.. :razz:
Most of the Gapps still haven't received the Material Theme update, so they seem to be same as in 4.4.4, calculator and keyboard looks awesome..
didn't checked the free RAM after update :-(, it started installing all my previous apps as soon as i booted the device for the first time, probably synced the older account settings, but currently, installing apps as well as transferring all my media on the device using adb, it shows 700MB used and 1.1GB free, quite good i'd say as i usually used to get about 800-900MB used during my regular use and almost 90% of my apps have been installed by now, so seems to be slightly improved RAM usage.. Will report the free RAM once all the applications are installed and device freshly booted.. :)

Update: so after installation of all apps and all media sync completed, 9.3GB used and over 100apps installed, it stabilized at about 670MB RAM, must say it's improved from 4.4.4, where i used to get about 800mb usage after boot, so definitely a improvement from my side.. :razz:
*i.imgur.com/EJJcfjz.png

Last edited:

ratul

█████████████████
looks sexy!!

give us a look if the keyboard too :D

sure.. :cool:

Keyboard:

*i.imgur.com/vFhFrh8.png

Home (New App Drawer Icon):

*i.imgur.com/gWzl4UV.jpg

Task Manager:

*i.imgur.com/XrW1CCP.png

Lock Screen:

*i.imgur.com/9kMDlwm.jpg

Notification Center:

*i.imgur.com/B18KALe.png

Dialer App:

*i.imgur.com/8UmpAsp.png
*i.imgur.com/AwCywgU.png

Last edited:

SunE

Professional Newbie
Even I flashed it yesterday. The smoothness is iOS level. It's pretty stable but there are a few bugs. Twitter and Firefox don't work. Neither does Dropbox. Gained root access but as soon as I opened Greenify it boot looped. So flashed again and now am unrooted. Will have to wait for some stable rooting solution I guess. Overall seems much better than KitKat. Now waiting for the gApps to be updated.

Also it's better to backup all your apps and data using adb into a .ab file and restoring it instead of downloading all the apps over again. Don't forget to backup all your media too.

ratul

█████████████████
oh man the UI looks simply beautiful..will the N4 get this update?

Officially, no.. :-(
Through XDA, probably yes, someone might port it, they have great developers over there... :mrgreen:

SunE

Professional Newbie
[MENTION=122731]ratul[/MENTION] is it running good for you? Is it stable? On mine it's very unstable. It kept on restarting for no reason this afternoon. I wasn't even doing anything to it. It was just lying there and it kept on restarting. Had to press the power button for 20 sec to completely turn it off. Now it's not restarting but don't know whether it's any good yet. It's charging right now.

Top Bottom