And the best free antivirus is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yeah i know, but see what mr.technovice has written , an ms certified spyware :lol:

My vote for NAV 2005 and AVG 7...

Gaurav

In the zone
yesssssssss...!

just installed AVG Free7 and It rocks baby. The update process is a bit slow than its professional version but that's okay for me.

U know that's the reason why I like Digit forum and their members most (on internet).
moreover a home user will not use a professional version as most of the main features are available in the free version

EAST YO WEST AVG IS THE BEST.

escape7

What? Where? How?
Well, i got my PC in 2000, had norton then, stayed with norton for four years paying them every year(even bought NAV 2003)...i had a modest system of 1 ghz processor speed & 128 mb ram. I had to seperately switch on my computer for the virus scans...it used up all the system resources...i wasn't doing much in computers, just programming & web designing...didn't need any more hardware. Recently i had my hardware updated...thinking that due to less processor speed & ram the program was taking time...It was still heavy on resources...in between i tried various other antivirus softwares...Mc Affe...PC Cillin...and many more...(trials) but wasn't satisfied...

Presently I'm using AVG 7 free edition. it has a simple interface, Unlike Guarav i am not finding the update slow, so far no infections have been detected & my computer is as fast as it ever was.

PS: With it i'm also using Kerio personal firewall and i think it makes a good combination.

Charley

Just Do It
QwertyManiac said:
Be it ny thing u HAV , The Best is NAV

This would have been accepted if it were a few years/months ago. But now it has lost the battle for the best AV....

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
I thought we were talking about free antiviruses.I like Avast and have been using it for over a year now.I have never been attacked since..

hafees

In the zone
No infection since I ve started using Avast. Also it detects some spyware (from some crack sites) as trojans.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Im pretty happy with Avast as it recognised some trojans on one of my systems. Also I like the fact that there updates seem to be small. Well at least for me it seems to download them very fast I think.

Charley

Just Do It
exx_2000 said:
Also I like the fact that there updates seem to be small. Well at least for me it seems to download them very fast I think.

The updates are quite big ......

AVAST is a good AV...

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
Regular Updating / Even after a Gap of 5 days Updates 4 Avast 4.6 r small. Takes abt 45-50 secs...

But if u go 4 update once a month.... :(

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Regular Updating / Even after a Gap of 5 days Updates 4 Avast 4.6 r small.

Lol no wonder, My friend says the same. I guess that updating every day makes my updates small then.

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
Well, I return from Hostel once a week [after a period of 4.5 Days !] So When I log on to net it automatically updates itself and barely takes 2 minutes...[ That is on my SLOW BSNL Dial-UP] So u need not do it regularly.... [If u do... abt 13-16 secs !! ]
--------------------
Every Fortnight I backup my "D:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4" Folder with WINrar [to Avast4.6UPDATEDtillddmmyy.exe ] . Ofcourse I hv to stop all background Processes[pertaining to avast].... This way I hv all my Avast Updates [even Engine Updates....] . So in any case when i need to reinstall Avast.. [Like Formatting My C:\ ] I simply Install Avast [the Avastsetupeng4.6.exe ] ..Restart...Kill Background Processes related to Avast! and Extract the Files compressed in my Backup to Avast4 Folder [i.e replace old ;) files ].... I retain all my Updates....:) :)
And Next Update doesn't take long at all....

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
To those who use AntiVir PE.
I'm trying this one out. Whenever I try to update (internet update) Antivir tries to download a file abt 3.x MB .. Why the update is that Big ? I think It is trying to downlaod the whole Setup file. I already hv the latest setup file of Aug 19th. So What I'm asking is that Does AntivirPE provide Incremental Vir.Defs. update like Avast/NAV/... If any one has any Idea kindly enlighten me.

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
Damn.... then it is a VERY big drawback. Hv to revert back to Avast...or try some different AV ...Like may be NOD32 ? NOw I hope NOD32 provides incremental backup. hv to chk it. Tx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom