Analyst Says Nokia's MeeGo is "the Biggest Joke In the Tech Industry Right Now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauldmps

Banned
Source:Analyst Says Nokia's MeeGo is "the Biggest Joke In the Tech Industry Right Now")

Normally we don't care much for analyst-talk, but in the case of Adnaan Ahmad's disparaging open letter to Nokia it's worth taking a look—if only for the advice he dishes out about adopting Windows Phone 7.

The Berenberg Bank analyst Adnaan Ahmad recommends Nokia should strike up an exclusive deal with Microsoft, where they would:

"Get access to their Windows Phone 7 (WP7) intellectual property scot-free and access to the US market where your share has dived to the low single-digit level, and in so doing cut your bloated handset business R&D budget by at least 30 percent."
Just as importantly, he suggests to Nokia that they should:

"Get rid of your own proprietary high-end solution (MEEGO)-–it's the biggest joke in the tech industry right now and will put you even further behind Apple and Google."
This is all before Nokia's even announced a device running MeeGo, their new platform that's the result of a partnership with Intel. It's expected Nokia's going to be announcing something in the next few weeks—maybe a tablet, but most definitely a phone.

You have to admit that a Nokia phone running WP7 certainly makes sense. Nokia's new CEO Stephen Elop was hired fresh out of Microsoft, so the relationship is certainly there. Nokia's been quite open in the past about adopting other companies OSes though, with outspoken Executive Vice President Anssi Vanjoki describing companies who jump in bed with Android being like Finnish boys who "pee in their pants" for warmth in the winter months. Short-term relief, in other words.

With Vanjoki having already resigned (due for departure around March, we figure), will Elop take notice of Ahmad's advice? I think it's a little harsh to tell Nokia to ditch MeeGo when all we've seen is demos of the platform (and videos of other phones running it, too), but we can't argue against the suggestion Nokia should look at other platforms as well. [All Things D]

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
MeeGo is boss. Anyone who has used Maemo knows the potential. Whoever wrote this article is perhaps the biggest joke.

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned
I don't think the person wrote about the capabilities of the OS. The problem is that Meego had been announced about one year ago & we haven't still even a leaked, teaser video. It feels like project has been abandoned.

Talking about the capabilities of the OS, no mobile OS is 100% complete without apps. When Meego will be out, it will suffer the low number of apps like Bada & WP7 is suffering now. And while the number of apps for WP7 would increase in the near future, most developers won't be interested to rewrite the apps for every specific OS,especially if it is used by only one vendor. Also remember that WP7, Bada & WebOS too are in line for attracting developers' attention.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
CES Vegas had a dual core tablet running it. Saw it in show called Gadget Guru

forgot the brand(damn)

NDTV Profit channel.

as far as I saw, it had a home screen where we could scroll infinite length with various multi tasking running as gadgets and expands on clicking it.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think the person wrote about the capabilities of the OS. The problem is that Meego had been announced about one year ago & we haven't still even a leaked, teaser video. It feels like project has been abandoned.

Talking about the capabilities of the OS, no mobile OS is 100% complete without apps. When Meego will be out, it will suffer the low number of apps like Bada & WP7 is suffering now. And while the number of apps for WP7 would increase in the near future, most developers won't be interested to rewrite the apps for every specific OS,especially if it is used by only one vendor. Also remember that WP7, Bada & WebOS too are in line for attracting developers' attention.
Well, MeeGo is Linux. Android is not Linux. It runs X and a package manager which Android doesn't. It also supports standard C++ libraries which Android doesn't. It'd support Qt and also GTK+. Porting applications to MeeGo would be easier/easy. In a nutshell, the true mobile "Linux" OS.

J

Joker

call meego a joke after it is released...it is still in development...should i call chromeos a joke then? was announce before meego. :|

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
lol. asking Nokia to ditch MeeGo for half baked WP7 IS the biggest joke in tech industry. This is what happens when banking analysts tries to understand technology. He should stick to counting peanuts.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Well, MeeGo is Linux. Android is not Linux. It runs X and a package manager which Android doesn't. It also supports standard C++ libraries which Android doesn't. It'd support Qt and also GTK+. Porting applications to MeeGo would be easier/easy. In a nutshell, the true mobile "Linux" OS.

Android is also based on Linux, in practice is developed as a fork by Google, who carries with most of its development. The Dalvik application framework is a Java based implementation also detached from the Java community. The key parts of the Android stack are basically used in Android alone. This isolation has been useful for Android in the short term, but in practice it pushes ODMs and application developers out of the broader Linux and free desktop currents, requiring skills and development specific to Android.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Android is also based on Linux, in practice is developed as a fork by Google, who carries with most of its development.
but it isn't Linux. :) Linux-based. It is not like what we run on our systems. I highlighted the differences above.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ But still its going to take a lot to dethrone android. It has lot of 3rd party support and apart from nokia, nobody's gonna go for meego(i may be wrong here).

Even i'os has a unix based kernel.

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
But one thing we could not forget.android is in the hand of Google. so of new creativities will be possible like wednesday's introduction of cloud based android market..that can easily install app through just click without connecting or syncing wired/wireless..
so android is on top and meego will be gone to downside..

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
All of you forget the main part.It does matter if your car have a powerful engine but unfortunately the tires of your car will be burn at top speed.For example Bugaati veyron top speed is 254 Mph and 26 gallon fuel tank after 12 minutes the fuel tank goes empty and after 15 minutes tires will start to disintegrate.The thing is iphone is successful because of his application and support also marketing, all other phone have good screen and cpu and gpu in comparison to iphone but also apple introduce new concept of using a phone to a customer and no one can say no this is not a good phone.Its like toy and full entrainment package and also guys see that "There is app for that".Thank you for your patience to reading it and sorry for example.I thing i clear my point and it is correct i hope so.

Cybersurfer

Right off the assembly line
I have to say the biggest joke is this so called analyst who calls MeeGo a proprietary high end solution and then tells them to jump ship to the least capable proprietary OS. How clueless are these analysts saying that Nokia should / will move to Android/WP7? Such a move makes no sense and brings them no value and undermines all the efforts they have been doing all these years with Maemo/MeeGo and Qt. Those people who think that Nokia will simply dump MeeGo without even releasing a single device is cracking some serious sh*t.

What Nokia has to do is deliver top notch devices with good user experience and more importantly up their marketing efforts. Nokia doesn't even properly advertise the capabilities of their devices when other manufacturers glorify what they can and slaps a cheeky names for them. The problem with Symbian is not the OS but the public perception about it which was pushed for by the US media. They can't let that happen to MeeGo.

BTW there was a post on Qt Labs earlier this week saying that they are temporarily closing the MeeGo themed branch of Qt Quick components citing that they can't make certain pieces of the final user experience public. So we will get to see something about Nokia's MeeGo UX on Feb 13 in Barcelona whether they announce devices or not. Rumours say that first mass market MeeGo device from Nokia will be a candybar.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I would like to say only one thing to Mr. Adnaan Ahmad, that if he'd be smarter, he would have been in a better place.

Anyways, maybe he was frustrated by waiting for MeeGo's release and so couldn't hold his emotions anymore and lost his mind.

Will MeeGo be a joke or a game-turner, only time will tell. But I fully agree with NIGHTMARE too who has beautifully explained that it is not the OS only which give any player the lead but the marketing, hardware and various other factors too. And various handsets launched by Nokia in past couple of years were way behind competition in terms of hardware.

Last edited:

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
@gagan007 I read a case study of Nokia during my dissertation.When Nokia launch handset in India that was a earlier stage, the sale was a not good or you can say up to mark,so Nokia survey team done some research & what they find in India people needs louder sound and battery backup.In that time the sound was not sufficient for India people because due to heavy tariff sound and also they want show they have mobile in there pocket,obviously show off and if ask any street walker "Bhaiya Nokia ka battery backup kaisa hai" i think you know answer.Then Nokia launch Nokia 3315 model which was big hit and come with good battery backup plus strong signal reception.

The thing what normal customer and potential customer wants and you are able to made that product or not.However that thing most powerful but for normal user are not able to use it so its useless or if manufacturing for specific group of people then may be it will useful.Same as PS2 CPU use for gaming purpose in console but if any want it can be used in launching a rocket.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@gagan007 I read a case study of Nokia during my dissertation.When Nokia launch handset in India that was a earlier stage, the sale was a not good or you can say up to mark,so Nokia survey team done some research & what they find in India people needs louder sound and battery backup.In that time the sound was not sufficient for India people because due to heavy tariff sound and also they want show they have mobile in there pocket,obviously show off and if ask any street walker "Bhaiya Nokia ka battery backup kaisa hai" i think you know answer.Then Nokia launch Nokia 3315 model which was big hit and come with good battery backup plus strong signal reception.

The thing what normal customer and potential customer wants and you are able to made that product or not.However that thing most powerful but for normal user are not able to use it so its useless or if manufacturing for specific group of people then may be it will useful.Same as PS2 CPU use for gaming purpose in console but if any want it can be used in launching a rocket.

I couldn't understand a single thing here. If you are on English learning phase, can you please post the same in hindi so that it makes sense. No offense meant but I really want to understand your point here.

what do you mean by heavy tariff sound, how can one do a showoff if their mobile is in their pocket. And the second para is like French, German, spanish and Italian put in a mixer.

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
I couldn't understand a single thing here. If you are on English learning phase, can you please post the same in hindi so that it makes sense. No offense meant but I really want to understand your point here.

what do you mean by heavy tariff sound, how can one do a showoff if their mobile is in their pocket. And the second para is like French, German, spanish and Italian put in a mixer.

First I say sorry for my bad English,I will start taking English classes but unfortunately where I am living that place full-fill with English people and also English is belong to here.My French is not good but i am sure if i written something in French here you will take time to figure out which language is this.

The thing is when you are in traffic its to noisy over there,so if the mobile phone ringer is not efficient to produce such louder sound,i think its hard to hear the mobile phone ring-tone if the environment is too noisy and about show-off thing its means that time mobile phones are new and rare if some holding in their hand, so other people look at him and also that time if the mobile phone rings so suddenly most of people look at you because that time device was a new,expensive and limited.So if some have mobile phone he/she really wants show their phone to others because its extraordinary thing that time and they want some one call him.

And about second paragraph I try say:"A company have to made that type product which full-filled the customer needs and wants".If any company manufacturing a product and its really powerful but for normal user can't use that product in his daily life which he want and that why he purchases that product or product is very powerful but unfortunately customer is not satisfied because he can't use his full power or customer don't want that type of powerful product or that product have some limitation like he perform on in particular situation or platform.

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned
We haven't seen Meego yet. No previews, teasers, leaked pictures, videos or even documnets. So it is useless to argue about its capabilities at the moment. And as everything seems happening, I'm pretty much sure that it will take about 5-6 months more to get launched.

Now imagine Meego is launched.

June, 2011

Most smartphones are running Android 2.3 Gingerbread or iOS 4.3 while Meego 1.0 is launched. Meego has an awesome UI & great usability. It however lacks apps. & is currently available on only two Nokia devices. Nokia is working on user feedbacks to iron out the minor quirks in the OS. Meego 1.2 which will be available next year will be updated on the user's recommendations. App. availability at the OVI store remains a major problem. Nokia's Symbian devices are hardly being sold.

The number of Android handsets as well as apps are breaking records & so is iOS apps with the new iPad2 selling like hot-cakes. Google is working hard to bring out Android 2.4 Ice-cream Sandwich which will have some major UI improvements & better app. support. It is expected to be ready for testing before September this year.

From this fictitious news article, I want to point out the following:

1. Meego is late. I won't believe that version 1 of the OS is going to be the perfect. It will still require user inputs to figure out the problems & then proper updating to reach to perfection. Google has shown this to us by continuosly updating Android & its other services (including Chrome which was updated just yesterday).

2. Meego will be crowding the Mobile OS pool. App developers who are already woking on WP7, Bada & WebOs will have to port thier apps for Meego. With only one hardware manufacturer, low number of devices & Meego's market share being small, they'll not be much interested.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
We haven't seen Meego yet. No previews, teasers, leaked pictures, videos or even documnets. So it is useless to argue about its capabilities at the moment.
Handset | MeeGo - N900 users are trying it out. :)

Releases | MeeGo

[youtube]QqeeQd-YNL0[/youtube]

hope Nokia delivers.
^ nice , to the point post.
go Meego!
are you posting for the sake of post count? *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&u=57860

Consider this a warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom