An Simple Audio Output Multiplug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Recently I went out for a little vacation, I took my ZUNE 30 with me… As I was with my cousin brother, and while on a long distance bus ride, seating beside him enjoying the zune, a question came to my mind…

Why cant we both enjoy the same music or video ??

Infact there is a nifty little tool which makes sure that we can enjoy 2 head or ear phones with a single output device such as ZUNE or iPOD…

Same tools also works for another purpose… Suppose you have a notebook which only has support for single output or rather 2.1 support and you want to run 5.1 / 4.1 on the 2.1 channel supported speaker !

The technology is really simple… Multiplug… Same idea as what you may see at wall mounted electrical solutions…

The idea is, take a single input, and provide 2 or more out puts… Bellow is a simple diagram or the idea for Audio out put layout for most of the notebook / Laptop or 2.1 supported motherboard…

*www.chotocheeta.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/1v10.jpg

As you may see A is Line in, B is line out (which is the jack where you plug the speakers or head phone or ear plugs), C is Mic in…

So basically what this multiplug does is, it gives you 2 outputs in place of one, so that in case of a portable Music player (PMP), such as Zune / iPOD / Zen, 2 ear plugs or head phones may work simontaniously…

And in case of a notebook, it allows you to plug in 5.1 speakers to a single output… As 5.1 speakers would have 2 audio plug or jacks, Rear speaker connector and front speaker connector… ! So now you may plug in both the Rear and front speaker to the notebook via this multi plug…

How does a multi plug look like ??

Its a nifty little tool…

*www.chotocheeta.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/11v1.jpg

*www.chotocheeta.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/2v7.jpg

How much one costs me ?

In local Kolkata (India) computer market is between Rs. 5/- to 10/-… Which is USD 0.25 each…

If you feel confuse, and have any question, drop them as comment !

Copy Paste from => ChotoCheeta.com

anand1

In the zone
You can go for a multiplug. But there might me problem for sound distortion. It's good to look for the specifications first then to go for it.

xbonez

NP : Crysis
yeah, its a pretty nifty tool. i had bought one for rs 15 from Nehru Place...there's no noticeable loss in quality though volume output reduces slightly

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@Choto Cheeta
try plugging in some alluminium thin bar in one of them without shorting R nd L. I wanna do someth to increase the FM reception om ma phone....the signals is very weak in ma area.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Yes, Saurav its a very nifty utility and priced very well :)

Same tools also works for another purpose… Suppose you have a notebook which only has support for single output or rather 2.1 support and you want to run 5.1 / 4.1 on the 2.1 channel supported speaker !

And in case of a notebook, it allows you to plug in 5.1 speakers to a single output… As 5.1 speakers would have 2 audio plug or jacks, Rear speaker connector and front speaker connector… ! So now you may plug in both the Rear and front speaker to the notebook via this multi plug…
Btw, you can't connect a 5.1. It has 3 separate connectors. What you can connect is 4.1 setup. However, it will not be a true 4.1. It will be pseudo-4.1. Meaning the same signal is replicated both in the front and rear speakers.

However, my experience with this has been somewhat tricky as far as speakers are considered. I tried 2 separate ones, bought from different shops (different models). With ear/headphones they are fine but with pseudo-4.1 setup the sound was distorted.

sashijoseph

In the zone
Avoid those footpath wala stuff for anything audio.For audio connectors buy atleast MX stuff.....5-10 bucks costlier but decent quality.
You'll get it at Naresh Radio(but beware he's a cut-throat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom