AMD HD 6950 and 6970 released

mohiuddin

Journeyman
The fact is that, with high res and aa 6970 rules...but, personally if my ars was rich enough to juice out above 16k for a gpu, i would go for 570 coz runs cooler and quieter.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
now that 6950 can be unlocked can we conclude that the gtx 560 is dead before its born?

I don't think so.

I think only first few batches of HD6950 can be unlocked into a HD6970. AMD disabled some shaders on HD6950 and I think they have some reason behind it.

It's like those amd cpus which can be unlocked into dual/quad core - many users who have bought earlier batches succeeded in unlocking but with later batches many users were unable unlock or faced issue when they unlocked.

So after some few batches from now I don't think HD6950 can be unlocked into a HD6970 anymore and GTX 560 will give HD6950 a hard completion for sure. Even EVGA GTX 460 AMP is neck to neck compared to GTX 470 when oced so a OCed GTX 5670 will give performance close to GTX 570 and HD6970 for sure.

and also i was wondering if there wil be any difference between an unlocked 6950 cf and
6970 cf?

I think the performance level would be same.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Can u remember the crap things done by nvidia with their double cone anisotropic filtering, making image quality totally trash with their ~190 drivers?amd also did like this,but slightly noticable. @Ico, i meant the in game image settings...it matters to me(and also some other peoples).

Yea, considering 6950, both r crap 6970 and 570.and 560 also gonna get ars-kick hard...but, for how long?!only these few new cards r of that catagory.

You are making conclusions too soon my friend. I gave those examples because thats how future games will be rendered and currently fermi architecture is showing strong inroads and nobody will deny this fact except you offcourse.

Wait till crysis 2 and then we shall talk about benchmarks cause it will be the pinnacle of game designing and provide a lesson or two to other game developers. Justcause 2 is a heavily optimised game and supports large framebuffer to render scenes. But games like metro and lost planet 2 are resource heavy games and support tesselation and some tricks of dx11.

Topgear
is right, gtx 560 has the capability to dethrone 6950 and when it arrives, we shall have more discussion about it. And about your query , most people will chose the gtx 570 over 6970 because its more futureproof and even reviewers admit this fact.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol, GTX 570 might be future-proof in the sense if nVidia plans to re-brand it for the next two-three generations like they did with 8800. Their last creamy GPU. :lol: You'll never feel outdated.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
lol, GTX 570 might be future-proof in the sense if nVidia plans to re-brand it for the next two-three generations like they did with 8800. Their last creamy GPU. :lol: You'll never feel outdated.

He he somethin like that. G80 was definitely a breakthrough gpu at its time and first to employ a unified shader architecture. Then ati followed suit with its R600.

570 will last a while until KEPLER comes up as a successor to FERMI.

Nothing will be futureproof and technology will continue to outdo itself. Thats how it always was and will always go.:wink:

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
@topgear but then why would am go all the way to add a switch in their cards and offer dual bios if it was temperory.

but you may be right about initial unlock,but i think the unlock will stay untill the other island family is ready.

theres nothing bigger than the unlock which the 6950 has against the 560.

by the way do u guys know a trustable vendor who could repair my 8800 gts 320mb?

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@topgear but then why would am go all the way to add a switch in their cards and offer dual bios if it was temperory.

but you may be right about initial unlock,but i think the unlock will stay untill the other island family is ready.

theres nothing bigger than the unlock which the 6950 has against the 560.

I think they added dual bios coz OCing gpu through software is a great pain to some and enthusiast users always flash their gfx card once they find out the maximum stable oc - now with dual bios if a user face some kind of issue with oc/increased voltage etc they can always revert back safely to the factory default bios without much trouble and it will save manufacturers RMA cost due to incorrect bios flashing. So in both customers and manufacturers perspective it's a complete peace of mind.

Yep, Unlocking a great feature of HD6950 but we will have to wait to see what GTX 560 have up it's sleeve. GTX 460 AMP ( A factory OCed card ) is neck to neck with stock GTX 470 and HD6870 and yet it can be OCed more.
So GTX 560 is going to compete with HD6950/GTX570/HD6970 and with a lower prie tag than HD6950 for sure.

Topgear is right, gtx 560 has the capability to dethrone 6950 and when it arrives, we shall have more discussion about it. And about your query , most people will chose the gtx 570 over 6970 because its more futureproof and even reviewers admit this fact.

Yep, I'm also getting excited to see what kind of performance GTX560 packs under it's hood and how well it competes against GTX 570/HD6970 and of course with HD6950 in both single and dual card configs.

clear_lot

Journeyman
gtx 560 would need one hell of SLI scaling to compete with cf 6950/6970.
a bigger memory buffer would definitely help.
i think that with the increasing popularity of 1080p and 4xAA, bigger buffers are needed for good scaling and/or single card performance.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Jan 2011

actually 2 performance beast is going to unleash in jan 2011 Sandybridge and GTX560.

But I strongly believe AMD will not still idle and will definitely come up with some new 6xxx series or reduce the price of HD6950/HD6970.

clear_lot

Journeyman
actually 2 performance beast is going to unleash in jan 2011 Sandybridge and GTX560.

you must be talking about the anandtech sb reiew.
well, it reviewed the i5 2500 with HT, which is not available in commercial versions.
the actual product is without HT, albeit with turbo boost.
so the review has better performance than actual products, (concluded by anand himself), though he had engineering samples, not finished products.

the actual core i7 SB will be released much later (q3 2011 ?) probably with a new socket

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
^^ socket 2011 is ivy bridge not sandybridge.

gtx 560 is jan 15 i think.and its graphic core announcement said it will be competing with 6870 at rs 15k.

so as of now i believe nvidia is giving us monster babies at high prices.

the most what i love about this launch is hd 5850 will take 6870's current price and 6870
will see a drop

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
you must be talking about the anandtech sb reiew.
well, it reviewed the i5 2500 with HT, which is not available in commercial versions.
the actual product is without HT, albeit with turbo boost.
so the review has better performance than actual products, (concluded by anand himself), though he had engineering samples, not finished products.

the actual core i7 SB will be released much later (q3 2011 ?) probably with a new socket

No buddy I'm not talking about that review.

I was talking about SandyBridge cpus which are going to be released on Jan.

For eg. Core i7 2600K is a Sandy Bridge cpu based on LGA 1155 and it's going to released on Jan of this year.

^^ socket 2011 is ivy bridge not sandybridge.

gtx 560 is jan 15 i think.and its graphic core announcement said it will be competing with 6870 at rs 15k.

so as of now i believe nvidia is giving us monster babies at high prices.

the most what i love about this launch is hd 5850 will take 6870's current price and 6870
will see a drop

Socket 2011 is based on 22nm if I'm not wrong - so it will get die shrink too !
BTW, let's not discuss about this cpu thing any further as it's offtopic.

Now I've two questions - as HD6950 can be unlocked to a HD6970 - is there any chance of price reduction of HD6970 and is there any rumor about something like HD66xx and HD67xx series gfx cards ?

clear_lot

Journeyman
Now I've two questions - as HD6950 can be unlocked to a HD6970

if you are for a 6950 and thinking of upgrading, better hurry.amd is revising the 69xx boards
AMD Revising Radeon HD 6900 Series PCB | techPowerUp

and is there any rumor about something like HD66xx and HD67xx series gfx cards ?

umm not exactly what you were thinking, but..
AMD Mobility Radeon HD 7000 Series Reality by Q4-2011 | techPowerUp

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you are for a 6950 and thinking of upgrading, better hurry.amd is revising the 69xx boards

No - I won't buy a HD6950 anytime soon so theres' no rush.

This was expected as I already wrote in earlier posts that amd will not continue this but as amd is making new pcb design I think newer HD6950 will consume even less power and run a bit cooler than the previous version.

mohiuddin

Journeyman

what :cry:, 6900 isn't finish yet...amd, nvidia take a break...relax...it is a start of a year...u two go to some vacations...

and why mobilities first?

Top Bottom