AMD Challenges Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

godsownman

Padawan
Times of India said:
Intel set to unveil new chips to take on AMD

New York: Intel Corporation will unveil new chips on Monday that it hopes will close a performance gap with rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc in the market for server system chips, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Chips from Intel provide processing power for vast majority of x86 servers, which typically run Linux operating system or Windows.
Intel’s move follows a chip launch from AMD, which in April debuted its “dual-core’’ server chips featuring two electronic brains on a single piece of silicon. Aided by the additions to its Opteron line, AMD’s share of the market for x86 server chips rose to 7.4% in the second quarter from 5.6% in the first period, the Journal reported. In x86 servers running at least four chips each, AMD grabbed nearly 20% of the US market, up from 11.4% in the first period, according to the Journal.
Intel said the new products will join the company’s Xeon chip line. The latest model, which carries the designation DP, is tailored for servers with sockets to use as many as two chips. A model for four-chip servers is expected in a few weeks, the Journal said.
Most server makers are expected to adopt the new Xeons, the paper said. Dell Inc, the one major vendor that does not use AMD’s Opteron, has announced machines using the new Intel products.
Hewlett-Packard, the biggest maker of x86 servers, has found the new Xeon DP chips to be 30-to-50% faster than earlier Intel models, an HP executive told the paper. The chips also draw no more electrical power than earlier models. Reuters

Now see this !!!!!!!!!

Awating comments.

Source : Times Of India 11-10-05

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
i also read somewhere that pentium is stepping down and pentum m is going main with close of nomal pentiums....

is that true ?

Tech&ME

Banned
Intel Moves From Dual Core To Double Core

65 nm Intel Double Core Preslers

See the full story here

I think Intel is upto something but who know who is going to WIN :wink:

mohit sharma

Journeyman
how good an example of corporate fight in front of everyone example !

but the news or advt. contains a line to be noted that AMD had challenged in server chip area only !

who so ever company wins the bettle , i think real winners will b us , bcoz on this results basis v will decide what hardware 2 use for our new vista computers !

godsownman

Padawan
mohit sharma said:
how good an example of corporate fight in front of everyone example !

but the news or advt. contains a line to be noted that AMD had challenged in server chip area only !

who so ever company wins the bettle , i think real winners will b us , bcoz on this results basis v will decide what hardware 2 use for our new vista computers !

Yes, thats a point to be noted. I know that the consumer will be the real winner and thats what the challenge is for apart from insubordinating the looser publicly.

A question :?: Who is going to decide the Winners .?????

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Yup, i was shocked on reading from beginning and only noticed the date when Sunny1211993 pointed.
pheew.....i thought the world was spinning in opposite for a moment nd wished if it was true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom