AMD 6790 Discussion

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
thats the problem with these cards. higher TDP but lower performance. actually they are not plan of roadmap initially but later developed if a particular die comes up with too much manufacturing defects. can't just throw it out. actually this is not the 1st card of its kind. many past cards were same.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Oops sorry.

How can the 6790 have such higher tdp considering its low on paper than 6850?

Doesn't make any sense.

It's not all rosy however, as the HD 6790 suffers from one of the same crippling flaws of the HD 5830 - high power consumption for the performance. As the HD 6790 is built around salvage dies, it requires a higher voltage than the regular Barts products to keep its clock speeds high sufficiently. The result is a 150W power consumption and requirement for 2x6-pin

HD6790 ( most probably ) is built using the salvage dies of HD6870 and that's why it has such hefty power requirements though the pricing is going to chill out some heat for sure and makes it a cool card for some ;-)

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
HD6790 ( most probably ) is built using the salvage dies of HD6870 and that's why it has such hefty power requirements though the pricing is going to chill out some heat for sure and makes it a cool card for some ;-)
yup, I just read about this. Would be good if HD 6790 unlocks to HD 6870. :mrgreen:

But yea, this card is performing better than HD 5770 according to the early benchmarks. This also means that this card is better than GTX 550.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nvidia is preparing GTX560 to compete with this - so the release of HD6790 ( and GTX560 ) will reduce the price of GTX550 and HD5770 ;-)

yup, I just read about this. Would be good if HD 6790 unlocks to HD 6870. :mrgreen:

But yea, this card is performing better than HD 5770 according to the early benchmarks. This also means that this card is better than GTX 550.

Yaaay!! I was correct when I said it would crush a 5770. :mrgreen:

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
I think its around 7.5K to 9K (IMO total waste of money ) also 2 X 16pin power connectors gives me weird feeling !

HD 6850 worth !

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
with 2x power pin how come it consumes less power than a HD6850 which has only one power connector anyway .

BTW, got 1 more review lik for HD6790 ;-)

*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6790-barts-gpu-geforce-gtx-460,2917.html

J

Joker

ok this card is better than GTX 460 now which nvidia has replaced with guess what? gtx 550. :lol:

Conclusion: Built From Winning Genes : AMD Radeon HD 6790 Review: More Mid-Range Might

amd has nailed it with this card. yup it has 2 6 power pins but uses less power than gtx 460 and gtx 550 too. :mrgreen:

Power, Temperature, And Noise Benchmarks : AMD Radeon HD 6790 Review: More Mid-Range Might

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I'll have to say, GTX 550 is the most useless card which has been released this year. I wonder who'll buy it?

This card's power consumption is equal to HD 6850, but if priced around 7-8k, this card will be good. It is almost as good as GTX 460 anyways. :)

[Xbit] AMD Denies Possibility of Unlocking of Radeon HD 6790

Not all graphics cards are equally good for experienced end-users, who are not afraid of pushing their performance to the maximum possible level. Advanced Micro Devices officially confirmed that its latest AMD Radeon HD 6790 cannot be transformed into more powerful solution by re-enabling disabled units.

Source

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
ok this card is better than GTX 460 now which nvidia has replaced with guess what? gtx 550. :lol:

Conclusion: Built From Winning Genes : AMD Radeon HD 6790 Review: More Mid-Range Might

amd has nailed it with this card. yup it has 2 6 power pins but uses less power than gtx 460 and gtx 550 too. :mrgreen:

Power, Temperature, And Noise Benchmarks : AMD Radeon HD 6790 Review: More Mid-Range Might

You are wrong again mate. This card won't go head to head with gtx 550 but with Gtx 560 non ti version. It will come with full 336 shaders as that of a gtx 460 with a full 256 mb memory bus and higher clocks.

Since gtx 460 1gb with its 192 bit bus is faster than a 6790, gtx 560 will trounce it and maybe take the fight to the mighty 6850.

Lets wait and watch.

Cilus

laborare est orare
A little edit... I think it is GTX 460 768 MB which is having 192 bit bus, not the 1 GB version.

Top Bottom