Amazon.in launched

Gollum

Collector
Dammit man, why you gotta give me nightmares?
Also, strangely my account hasn't been debited with the order amount yet. Is this normal? Shipping date shows Jul. 22 -- today.

you will only be charged when the seller receives your order or bothers to open his amazon account to see if he's received any orders.
Once he ships the order you will get a notification. I would suggest you to either cancel the order before you get charged or contact the reseller to use fedex or DHL for shipping. Aramex has a very bad reputation.

Once the item is shipped you will get a carrier name and a tracking number.

WARNING - DO NOT USE ARAMEX COURIER FOR GOA. - The eBay Community

www.mouthshut.com/product-reviews/Aramex-reviews-925107378+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in]ARAMEX Reviews, Mall, Stores, Online Shopping[/url]

*plus.google.com/114842254440152952681/about?gl=IN&hl=en-IN

Lets hope you Item gets delivered by a good courier company. I my case I was lucy and my shipment was delivered one day late and well it was intact. Then again it was not fragile a Hard drive.

Moreover your item is electronic so chances of the shipment getting seized at customs etc is high

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
even i would like to buy from international site if everything goes well...... just keep all of us posted about it

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Moreover your item is electronic so chances of the shipment getting seized at customs etc is high

Are you sure about it? Since I wanted to buy a Core i5 processor from Amazon.com (to use a free voucher I got a while ago).
Does getting the item seized means the item will never get delivered?

Moreover I was planning to use comgateway since the product is not covered in GlobalShipping program. Any help will be appreciated on this thread: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/shopping/176084-need-advice-buying-through-comgateway-first-time.html

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The import fees deposit were displayed separately on the checkout page and came out to be Rs. 837 for the total order. It was around Rs. 400 if I had only one item in my cart. My total order came out to be $213 or Rs. 13,451.59.
From what I've read (hope I'm not wrong), Amazon will handle all the hassles and I just have to sit back like a boss.

Here's what's being shown in my 'order details' page:

ALL ITEMS IN THIS ORDER ARE SOLD BY AMAZON EXPORT SALES, INC. (AES), UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED. BY PLACING YOUR ORDER, YOU AUTHORIZE AES TO DESIGNATE A CARRIER TO CLEAR THE PACKAGE AND PAY THE IMPORT FEES ON YOUR (OR THE RECIPIENT'S) BEHALF. CUSTOMS DECLARATIONS WILL BE MADE IN THE NAME AND ON THE BEHALF OF YOUR (OR THE RECIPIENT'S) BEHALF BY THE DESIGNATED CARRIER.

Thanks for the info and if what amazon has written are to be believed then it's a great relief for customers.

Gollum

Collector
Here is what the total charge looks like after billing is complete:
Item(s) Subtotal: INR 3,186.87
Shipping & Handling: INR 1,059.10

Total before tax: INR 5,371.39
Sales Tax: INR 0.00
Import Fees Deposit INR 1,125.42

Total for This Shipment: INR 5,371.39

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
Well, my order has been shipped. The 'ship carrier' is being displayed as:

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAMMMMMEEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXX!!
*cue suspense music*

Gollum

Collector
Well, my order has been shipped. The 'ship carrier' is being displayed as:

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAMMMMMEEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXX!!
*cue suspense music*

advance, condolences bro. Their tracking page is very good actually.
so the day the device reaches your city, take a day off or make sure someone is available to pickup your package.

ramkumarvcbe

the Warrior
I've bought few books from Amazon.in twice last month. The experience was completely good. Low prices when comparing it with any e-tailer plus no delivery fee for orders below 500. Shipped thru BlueDart, and tracking on Amazon's page is better than BD's tracking page.

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
Received my Amazon package today, with the two hard disks. I had it delivered at my parents' place. Just called home and confirmed that the package was all nice and tightly sealed. My parents opened it up and checked inside and the actual hard disk packing seems tight too.

I'm gonna have to wait till the next weekend to check them out in person, when I'll actually try it out by plugging it in. Hope that everything will be in order.

Zero customs hassles. Prompt delivery. If the actual hardware turns out okay, I will definitely be shopping from Amazon US again :)

EDIT:
By the way, it seems the offer is back now. 3TB @ $99 in case anyone is interested.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Yes amazon has very good delivery network.

As per my sources in amazon, they are coming up with stock warehouses in every major city airport and order is processed from respective regional warehouses for delivery.
So not every order comes from mumbai like competitors and they will have faster delivery.

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
Quick update:
Checked out my 2 hard disks in person today. Were packed nicely, sealed and all.

I opened one of them up.... and it doesn't work. The lights won't even turn on when I connect it via USB. Tried it on both my desktop and my laptop. Windows 7 and Fedora 14 (in which I've heard it 'just works', though not officially supported).
It also comes with an external power cable, but the pins are not Indian style, so can't use it. Anyway, it's supposed to work with just USB.

This sucks.
All this is just from half an hour of fiddling around.
Too busy with office work right now. (Weekend? What's that?)
Will try the other one tomorrow... and fiddle more with this one.

Gollum

Collector
Quick update:
Checked out my 2 hard disks in person today. Were packed nicely, sealed and all.

I opened one of them up.... and it doesn't work. The lights won't even turn on when I connect it via USB. Tried it on both my desktop and my laptop. Windows 7 and Fedora 14 (in which I've heard it 'just works', though not officially supported).
It also comes with an external power cable, but the pins are not Indian style, so can't use it. Anyway, it's supposed to work with just USB.

This sucks.
Will try the other one tomorrow... and fiddle more iwith this one.
i think you need power supply

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick update:

This sucks.
Will try the other one tomorrow... and fiddle more with this one.

even I also think you need to attach the power cable with the ext hdd and then it will work just fine and if the power supply adapter of this drive supports 240V you can try connecting it with spike gurad having universal socket or buy such an adapter for cheap around 500 bucks.

Gollum

Collector
@santa maria

You need the power adapter for the drive to work
*www.seagate.com/files/www-content/...-us/docs/backup-plus-desk-ds1757-2-1306us.pdf

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
Thanks for posting advice, guys.

Early this morning, I tried plugging in the power cable as I found an extension cord in my house with the required socket type. I had even checked the adapter to make sure that it takes voltages from 100V-240V, as you now suggested. And poof, it works. Tried it on my laptop under Win 7. Hell, it's even working in an old ass OS like Fedora 14, even though any flavour of Linux isn't officially supported.

Big relief. Work life is too hectic to take time out for a long RMA adventure... in which I have no prior experience.

Still a bit surprising that external power is needed, though. I could swear that a lot of places mention that this drive just needs to be plugged in to a USB to work. I also read something about USB ports needing to supply enough power for the drive... could that be an issue?

Haven't transferred anything on it yet, will try later. It's preloaded with some software that will ask to be installed on Windows/Mac. On linux, it just works like a dumb pen drive - I prefer it this way.

The drive itself is a lot bigger and heavier than I expected. Doesn't seem feasible to carry around unless you don't mind some extra weight in your laptop bag. But it'll serve its purpose as a massive data store, I hope.

Haven't opened my 2nd drive. It's still lying sealed. If any relatives don't want it, I'll sell it off.
I've registered both drives on the Seagate site for warranty.

More later. (transfer attempts, post 2-week-usage update etc.)

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
Congratulations bro.
Can i Order A mobile Phone from AMAZON.com ? Will it ship here . i live in Surat, Gujarat. I mean Without Any Extra Cost like custom or anything else.
I mean Shall get a mobile phone at price which is Written on website (amazon.com)

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
Congratulations bro.
Can i Order A mobile Phone from AMAZON.com ? Will it ship here . i live in Surat, Gujarat. I mean Without Any Extra Cost like custom or anything else.
I mean Shall get a mobile phone at price which is Written on website (amazon.com)

Make sure that the item ships outside the US and is eligible for free 'AmazonGlobal Saver Shipping'. It should be mentioned on the product page. I don't think there are many phones that are eligible... but I'm not completely sure.
You will still have to pay customs... just that the hassles of manually dealing with it are gone. Amazon will charge a certain amount for customs and handle everything through their own agents.
I heard that sometimes that amount is even refunded to you if it wasn't deemed necessary (within 45 days).

Top Bottom