Amazon.in launched

Vignesh B

Youngling
Amazon has finally launched its flagship Marketplace business in India, after the site quietly went live in the country, although it is only selling books at this point.

India is the tenth country where Amazon Marketplace is available. The service is a central point from which independent retailers can sell a range of goods and products from third parties using the ‘marketplace’ model that is also adopted by Japanese retailer Rakuten, among others.

The launch has been a silent one since there is no announcement on Amazon’s media center, as you’d expect from a laucnh into such a significant country. The press release section on Amazon India site says “Press Release [sic] will be published soon”, but there are a series of infographic-come-press-releases which confirm the launch.

Restrictions on foreign direct investment (FDI) have thus far prevented Amazon from selling direct to consumers in the country, but, by hosting a site where third parties do the selling, the issue is sidestepped.

The company launched Junglee, a site that aggregates deals from Web retailers in India, last year as an experiment to test the water in India while rules dictating that foreign firms cannot sell goods online keep its full service out. Authorities in India did relax FDI regulations for physical retailers — rules now allow overseas firms to hold a 51 percent stake in multi-brand retailers, or a full 100 percent share of single-brand retailers — but there’s been no change in the prohibition for overseas direct-to-consumer retail sites.

Source

Update : They are selling movies too.

Last edited:

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
After comparing few books here what I found
Presently it's little cheaper(also most of them have equal rates) than flipkart(thanks to flipkarts 50rs <500) once amazon charges that they will be similar in rates

Flash

Lost in speed
Amazon - A true competitor for flipkart;
it will soon feel the pain of Letsbuy.. :twisted:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
So far I've noticed that Amazon is not the original seller of these goods. They are fulfilling orders of some other marketplace sellers, but that's about it.

These are the sellers for books:

Amazon.in: see all sellers

As you can see, Amazon is conspicuously absent from the list. I guess they need some more warehouses.

They're also selling movies & TV shows BTW, and these are the sellers:

Amazon.in: see all sellers

And again, Amazon is absent from the list.

sujoyp

Grand Master
compitition is always good for consumers...lets see if flipkart again begins to have good price and coupens for customers

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Amazon can't sell in India cause FDI Isn't allowed :|

1000 in flipkart *www.flipkart.com/the-avengers/p/itmd9g6szttm5dgt?pid=AVMD9G6PCUZF64ZW&ref=39611e28-0425-481d-af6f-ef87a497a8f4&srno=t_2&otracker=from-search&query=avengers%20blu%20ray

849 in amazon *www.amazon.in/Avengers-Joss-Whedon/dp/B0094QY7CI/ref=sr_1_9?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1370413154&sr=1-9

Oh wait
Convenience fees of 39 will be charged on orders placed using Cash on Delivery. However, for a limited period, no convenience fees will be charged on any orders placed using Cash on Delivery.
That+Delivery Charges, Flipkart you WIN

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Another thing, Sellers send their stuff to amazon(fullfilled by amazon) and amazon ships it to us
Amazon has signed up 100 vendors across the country so far and has set up a 1.5 lakh sqft fulfilment centre in Mumbai to service online orders. Any of the lakhs of retailers in India can hope to sign up with Amazon and sell their products online.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
This is great news.. not only because amazon launched in india but because there's some actual competition to Flipkart..
Remember the good old days when letsbuy and flipkart were separate and prices were quite lower ..
I want those days back :p

Do they have cash on delivery ?

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon

FDI In E-Commerce isn't allowed in India :(

This is great news.. not only because amazon launched in india but because there's some actual competition to Flipkart..
Remember the good old days when letsbuy and flipkart were separate and prices were quite lower ..
I want those days back :p

Do they have cash on delivery ?[/QUOTE]

Only on items fullfilled by amazon, later they will charge for delivery(<500) + charge for COD-this way they will shut down soon

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Damn, too early to be excited :(
I was hoping we could get those GTX 660s they sell on main website for 150$ for same price plus shipping and tax:/

amjath

Human Spambot
So whats this Junglee.com

BTW i compared blu ray movie from amazon.com and the price is reasonable

Amazon can't sell in India cause FDI Isn't allowed :|

1000 in flipkart *www.flipkart.com/the-avengers/p/itmd9g6szttm5dgt?pid=AVMD9G6PCUZF64ZW&ref=39611e28-0425-481d-af6f-ef87a497a8f4&srno=t_2&otracker=from-search&query=avengers%20blu%20ray

849 in amazon *www.amazon.in/Avengers-Joss-Whedon/dp/B0094QY7CI/ref=sr_1_9?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1370413154&sr=1-9

Oh wait

That+Delivery Charges, Flipkart you WIN

Ur product is above 499 so no delivery charges 849+39[if]=888 so amazon wins

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
Any entity want to do e-Commerce in India should have any Indian Company/Body/Person holding atleast 51% of the resulting Joint Venture Company.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
@amjath I mean if they charge for COD, Wont everyone else prefer flipkart or something else?Anyways with this flipkart is bound to reduce their prices now

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I am skeptical about Amazon's success here because of the numerous hurdles in the form of 'humans'. Not much will affect the metro cities but its the Tier 2 cities & below & especially in less developed states (up/bihar etc) that there will be cases where packages might get lost and all of that. Though at present , things don't look like such as flipkart/hs18 have survived in making sure the package reaches the doorstep in good condition but I think its a matter of time the offline retailers/courier personnel find some nexus & ruin this sector. Indians are the most corrupt/thieves of them all. :sad:

Top Bottom