Alternative/Underground Indian music artists

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
As the title says, this thread is dedicated to quality Indian artists who make music not for money or fame, but as a means of genuine expression.

Post and discuss stuff from your favourite Indian artists. However, only discussions regarding alternative or underground artists will be entertained here. That being said, the following are not allowed for discussion:

- Artists associated with Bollywood music.
- Artists who bathe in the limelight. (Indian Idol, etc)
- Artists who considered to be classical music maestros, unless looking at something really innovative.

Genre no bar.

On topic:

Documentary of the evolution of Indian rock:

Motherjane, our desi band from Kerala release their first single in years and after numerous lineup changes:

Sounds pretty proggy.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Motherjane is from Kerla? had no idea. I've seen them live a bunch of times in Mumbai, they have a killer bassist

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah. They are from Kochi.

They used to have Baiju Dharamarajan. He is a kickass guitarist.

- - - Updated - - -

Other good Indian rock bands are Them Clones and Thermal and a Quarter.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^yep seen them live too. Orange Street is good as well.

So some time in 1982 this guy sat down with a synthesizer and performed a bunch of ragas
Charanjit Singh, the whole album is amazing and waay ahead of it's time

[YOUTUBE]G9l2wEZV2Gk[/YOUTUBE]

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
checking to see if playlist embedding works.
[YOUTUBE]conwt8Dy27Y&feature=player_embedded&list=PLpVoXjs4NgSpR7bK6maFCnXOFCckCojNH[/YOUTUBE]
Oh yay, it does.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Motherjana was popular in Japan , Its likee sepultura now,not a single original member .need to check the new album

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
There was a good band, forgot the name
just remember part of the title of a song, it was sha-something, the rat king

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Motherjane old and new line up
*scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/s552x414/10603766_629735297126185_3515146606058349348_n.jpg?oh=5779efde0c73f905d22dec34d24c7db7&oe=5561BCFF

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yeah, had seen the old line up, was wondering if there were two bands or something

Constantly confused about the line up of Hellwind, Albatross, Workshop... when they all on stage, don't know which side project it is till they announce it. These bands have a mix of members from Old Monk and Demonic Resurrection.

So this one time they were performing at a marathi medium college, and the crowd response was not great because they were not understanding a word. Crowd control was amazing, the band starts jamming, and the front man improvises and starts "singing" 'pude sarka' on the spot. That is something the conductors say in the bus. The crowd went mad, the band went brutal, and they pulled it off. They later went on to perform the song, and recorded it in the album Khooni Murgi, but it was obviously very different in a finalized song form.

[YOUTUBE]onqs5O55pw0[/YOUTUBE]

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
yeah, had seen the old line up, was wondering if there were two bands or something

Constantly confused about the line up of Hellwind, Albatross, Workshop... when they all on stage, don't know which side project it is till they announce it. These bands have a mix of members from Old Monk and Demonic Resurrection.

So this one time they were performing at a marathi medium college, and the crowd response was not great because they were not understanding a word. Crowd control was amazing, the band starts jamming, and the front man improvises and starts "singing" 'pude sarka' on the spot. That is something the conductors say in the bus. The crowd went mad, the band went brutal, and they pulled it off. They later went on to perform the song, and recorded it in the album Khooni Murgi, but it was obviously very different in a finalized song form.

Workshop's frontman is none other than Sahil Makhija himself.

Also fixed link.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, here's Coshish.

They have a Tool-ish inspired sound. When I saw them live at NH7 Weekender, they were playing the intro to Lateralus during the sound check.

- - - Updated - - -

Also updated OP with a documentary on the evolution of Indian rock: *www.digit.in/forum/chit-chat/18953...an-music-artists-post2195616.html#post2195616

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Workshop's frontman is none other than Sahil Makhija himself.

It was Kiron Kumar that time, think it's his voice in the video too

- - - Updated - - -

Bhayanak Maut (explicit stuff)
Bhayanak Maut: Official Website

Metakix
[YOUTUBE]myoKtjWFH6o[/YOUTUBE]
web site > M E T A K I X, India (1997 - 2008)
Track downloads > Music page of Metakix - MP3 music page on SoundClick

Devoid
These guys are tight and fast
[YOUTUBE]oJwMQzwF3do[/YOUTUBE]

these were some good bands, but can't find great recordings, so these will have to do

Naked Earth
[YOUTUBE]__UQHpMzi7I[/YOUTUBE]

Aftertaste
[YOUTUBE]P5jbk5agHwk[/YOUTUBE]

Medusa. One of the few bands who used to do electro rock
[YOUTUBE]0LT9nsssMqw[/YOUTUBE]

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Wow. So many bands I haven't heard of.

- - - Updated - - -

Before I forget, the first Indian alternative band I heard:

Some of their tracks were distributed on Digit June 2001 Playware CD, that's how I heard of them. Sadly, I can't find the rest of their tracks anywhere, can't even find their discs for sale.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
oh man you dun goofed :p You broke rules of this thread. The band's name is Pentagram, everyone from that band is into making bollywood music atm. Sure you can find lots more of their stuff now.
the front man of that band is Vishal Dadlani. That's ok though, even Shaan performed at IRock at one time.
Everyone lost respect for him. Not because he went to bollywood and made commercial music, but he was shaking his ass like shakira on stage in Mosh Mania 2005, and the crowd were not able to appreciate that, so they were chanting expletives, and throwing junk on stage. Then he got angry and showed his sad rock star attitude and threw a mike stand into the audience, which really hurt this guy and split his face open. The crowd and Vishal went mad, both started shouting things which I cannot type here. There were serious threats. And the police don't arrive late like in the movies, they were there and began to move almost before the trouble started. The police dispersed the crowd, and from then on, no one likes pentagram. I was in the group that was standing close to the guy that got hit, right at the front, so we were angrily telling the cops how unfair all of this was. So the cop tells us "woh taklya ko hum sambhalenge" (we will take care of that bald guy). Not sure what they did to him, if anything at all, but everyone went home dejected that night, and one poor fan went to the hospital for nothing.

Vayu/ Para Vayu is another dinosaur from that era, but they only ever played covers. Sad.

Zero is really good though
[YOUTUBE]6Itk9smu5lA[/YOUTUBE]

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I know they have all sold out.

However, their earlier stuff is cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Like this song:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I like Randolph Correia from Pentagram, not only does he play well, but also because he was restrained and almost laughing at Vishal's behavior when all of that was happening.

Really like his other band, Shaa'ir + Func

though they are a little mainstream-ish, they sound fresh and delicious

[YOUTUBE]JQYeshf2FJI[/YOUTUBE]

Top Bottom