All "which distro should I choose?" queries here.

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
I am using Ubuntu(14 LTS ) on a system with these specs
Intel dual core 3GHz
2GB RAM
Intel 945 onboard gfx

Often it runs too slow...

Please suggest a flavour that will run smooth and is also secure

Is chromebook OS a good choice ? (I've never installed it)

try manjaro linux or antergos , both are arch based, but fret not they have been rock solid for me
manjaro is the hassle free of the lot , as it ran without a problem from get go, i used the xfce
antergos on the other hand lets you pick what all programs and window manager at the time of install (it needs an active internet connection)

antergos is my current OS , working like a champ on a 2k7 laptop ,ancient core2duo with 2gb ram and 945gm intel gpu,
compared to win7 which i dual boot, browsing ,which is what i mainly use this for, is smooth with plenty of tabs open

the only gripe i still have with linux is with video playback, it still doenst offer the quality u can get from win 7 , like video rendrer options , subtitle in black bars ,
and video tearing

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I Tried Installing Ubuntu & Debian on My Desktop. Config is in Signature.. None of the two was able to detect the 960 and Ended up with Black boot screens and other BS like that.

Is there any linux which has support for 960?

I am not so good with Terminal and stuff so updating driver through that etc I tried but didnt work.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
[MENTION=28803]Tech_Wiz[/MENTION] so installing without the 960 plugged works fine?
Give these drivers a go once & see if they work: NVIDIA DRIVERS Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Re: All "which distro should I choose?" queries here.

Linux was working fine with earlier 560... Changed it to 960 and all hell broke loose.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking for something that will take care of this issue in installation itself. New Install gets stuck at black screens.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Q : Which Linux OS is best for booting from USB ?
best means fast,small & lightweight

Q : Can Ubuntu OS work from USB drive?

Theodre

In the zone
Q : Which Linux OS is best for booting from USB ?
best means fast,small & lightweight

Q : Can Ubuntu OS work from USB drive?

Q1 Ans:Puppy linux is said to be one of the smallest, fastest and lightest linux(I have actually never used it though). Lubuntu and LXLE are also lightweight os's. Both of these os's use LXDE desktop environment which is suppose to be small,light and fast. These os's should also work from your USB drive.
Q2 Ans: Yes, Ubuntu should work from your USB drive.

If you could tell me your use case, i may be able to help you more :)

PS: Damn, that was an ooolldd post! Hmmm.. Love to wake this thread up from the dead though!!

TechnoBOY

Padawan
Q1 Ans:Puppy linux is said to be one of the smallest, fastest and lightest linux(I have actually never used it though). Lubuntu and LXLE are also lightweight os's. Both of these os's use LXDE desktop environment which is suppose to be small,light and fast. These os's should also work from your USB drive.
Q2 Ans: Yes, Ubuntu should work from your USB drive.

If you could tell me your use case, i may be able to help you more :)

PS: Damn, that was an ooolldd post! Hmmm.. Love to wake this thread up from the dead though!!
I tried to duel boot my Lap with win and Ubuntu but some where in the middle it broke up(power failure some thing dont rem..) and wasn't able to duel boot.Then installed ubuntu after some week i was able to notice there was 180gb used,there is no way i used that after the installation .....
so What should i do now?

Theodre

In the zone
I tried to duel boot my Lap with win and Ubuntu but some where in the middle it broke up(power failure some thing dont rem..) and wasn't able to duel boot.Then installed ubuntu after some week i was able to notice there was 180gb used,there is no way i used that after the installation .....
so What should i do now?

So did you notice a 180gb idle partition while you installed Ubuntu?

Theodre

In the zone
nope,so old data's are still there?

PS:now i have duel booted by partition ,that was the time i noticed

Hey before anything, may i know which version of Ubuntu you are using?
Because, for old versions, this seems to have been a problem and what i fumbled upon online is -> HOWTO: Recover Lost Disk Space
But this looks like an old issue. Also check your Trash and try and empty it and lemme know if you are not able to empty the trash.

TechnoBOY

Padawan
Hey before anything, may i know which version of Ubuntu you are using?
Because, for old versions, this seems to have been a problem and what i fumbled upon online is -> HOWTO: Recover Lost Disk Space
But this looks like an old issue. Also check your Trash and try and empty it and lemme know if you are not able to empty the trash.
14.04 LTS.Yes not able to delete a folder from Trash but its empty folder ..
Is there any way to sort folder by size

Theodre

In the zone
14.04 LTS.Yes not able to delete a folder from Trash but its empty folder ..
Is there any way to sort folder by size

Try the below command in the terminal and find what is actually accumulating your disc space:
Code:
gksudo baobab

You should be able to find something fishy.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Which 32 bit distro should I choose as a replacement for windows 7 for a Lenovo R61 with 1GB ram and Core 2 Duo T7100 processor?

Primary requirements are for learning use by kids (my cousins) and offline movies/anime (storage is not an issue). Ram upgrade is out of question as I can't find DDR2 modules to test locally but might do it if I find them.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Which 32 bit distro should I choose as a replacement for windows 7 for a Lenovo R61 with 1GB ram and Core 2 Duo T7100 processor?

Primary requirements are for learning use by kids (my cousins) and offline movies/anime (storage is not an issue). Ram upgrade is out of question as I can't find DDR2 modules to test locally but might do it if I find them.
It is hard to find 32-bit Linux OS distros currently,now.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

I think Debian is what you want. They still give i386 images: Downloading Debian CD/DVD images via HTTP/FTP

Top Bottom